(Solution)Windows 10 build 10049 breaks openvpn: "There are no TAP-Windows adapters on this system"

Appears that build 10049 breaks the PIA client.  I see what seems to be the solution here.
Sadly, I'm not savy on regedit.
Would be thankful if someone could help with a step-by-step (for idiots) as to how to do this.

Open entry as follows:

• I dont know if the guid is always the same but the last id can be diffrent for sure
  • You can open atleast the class key and the just use find data: TAP-Windows Adapter V9

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

if you have more than one tap adapters then you have to add this for all of them

In this key add the REG_SZ entry:

ComponentId: tap0901

Comments

that did not do the trick unfortunately. how did you come up with this idea if i may ask? there is already the "MatchingDeviceId" REG_SZ entry with the value "tap0901"
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4
    Found this info from HERE

Seems to work for mostly everyone.
    Post edited by mljwood on

From the above link:

This person at least seems to have it working:

"build 10049 also screwed up mine PIA VPN and TAP reinstall was failling.

So I took advice of Asgeir but in extended way, where I restored several of entries linked to TAP driver (class,network,nsi)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade\NetworkDriverBackup

and I got it work."

• edited April 2015 Posts: 8
    Thank you mljwood, the missing ComponentId reg_sz is indeed the issue here. But in my case i had to reinstall the tap driver first.
    Post edited by r3mo on
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 8

SOLVED

This is how i got it to work (OpenVPN GUI and Private Internet Access (PIA). No rebooting required:

1. uninstall all tap adapters in device manager>network adapters
    2. install openvpn with default options
      https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/openvpn-install-2.3.6-I603-x86_64.exe
    3. add string value/data ComponentId/tap0901 (REG_SZ) with regedit
      value name=ComponentId
      value data=tap0901
      to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\[0001]
      where [0001] stands for the instance on your system in which you find the REG_SZ string with
      value name=ProductName
      value data=TAP-Windows Adapter V9
    4. disable and enable TAP-Windows Adapter V9 in device manager>network adapters to reinitialize the driver with the newly added ComponentId
    Post edited by r3mo on
    @r3mo
    Thanks for the detailed guide. I can confirm it resolved my issue as well.

• I haven't yet been able to fix the problem with OpenVPN and build 10049, but there's an alternative, which is to use the VPN (PPTP) client built into Windows. I used the configuration instructions for Windows 8.1, and these work in Windows 10.

The instructions are in this forum:

In my case I had to add ComponentId | tap0901  under the {4d36e972 to the 0000, 0001, 00002, 0003 and the 0004. If you just add it to one it still wont work. Works fine now, thanks. 
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1
    I followed the above posted guide from r3mo for editing the registry and it worked for both my desktop and two laptops with no rebooting.  I am now able to connect with the PIA windows client.

THANKS!

Post edited by ezomac on
    Just installed Win10 build 10056 and openvpn/PIA is still a no go.
    I had the same issue with PIA not working after updating to Windows 10 10049. I tried the regedit fix, and it solved my problem. But i have noticed that since updating to 10049 and applying the fix, my download speeds on utorrent are noticibly slower. Before the win 10 update, my downloads were blazing fast, sometimes reaching 9MB/s. Now, lucky if i hit 1MB/s. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    openvpn/PIA is now working on Win10 build 10061.
    openvpn/PIA is working on Win10 build 10074.
    I installed as administrator - then ran compatibility troubleshooter on the executables and checked to run as administrator.
    Something made it to work - mostly. - On 10074 I have had to start it manually most times.

This one did the trick for me.  Though I didn't have to uninstall my VPN or uninstall the driver.  I simply did step 3 and 4.

Thanks user

SOLVED

This is how i got it to work (OpenVPN GUI and Private Internet Access (PIA). No rebooting required:uninstall all tap adapters in device manager>network adaptersinstall openvpn with default options
    https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/openvpn-install-2.3.6-I603-x86_64.exeadd string value/data ComponentId/tap0901 (REG_SZ) with regedit
    value name=ComponentId
    value data=tap0901
    to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\[0001]
    where [0001] stands for the instance on your system in which you find the REG_SZ string with
    value name=ProductName
    value data=TAP-Windows Adapter V9disable and enable TAP-Windows Adapter V9 in device manager>network adapters to reinitialize the driver with the newly added ComponentId

• edited August 2015 Posts: 2
    I am so glad I did not update to Windows 10.
    Post edited by aloofie on
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 8
    Dude, you're funny. You do realize that this issue existed only in an early preview version of Windows 10, don't you? In the meantime the final version is out and it does not have any issues with PIA whatsoever. 
    If you run Windows 7 or 8 you are eligible for a free upgrade. Get it here and thank me later:
    Post edited by r3mo on
    For those who say that there is only a problem with the preview versions of Windows 10, mine is build 10240, the general release version, but there is a simple fix, run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode and it does what it should.
    For those who may not know how, right click the installation software,
    chose "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and chose the recommended setting then follow the prompts.
    This problem is continuing. Support have said they are providing an update but could not tell me when. Thanks JohnX for providing what seems to be the easiest solution.
    > JohnX > For those who say that there is only a problem with the preview versions of Windows 10, mine is build 10240, the general release version, but there is a simple fix, run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode and it does what it should. For those who may not know how, right click the installation software, chose "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and chose the recommended setting then follow the prompts.

Not working for me. I've tried open vpn too and that also fails; tried in safe mode with and withought admin privs.
    Just in case anyone runs into issues with reinstalling the TAP in 10, I had problems where the installer (PIAs and openVPN) would fail.  Eventually figured out the issue was my Kaspersky 2015.  I updated to 2016 from Kaspersky's site (free if you have a valid license) and then I was able to reinstall TAP.
    I have spent so much time trying to get the tap driver to work that I have now uninstalled PIA, yes tried everything I have read on the forum and the net nothing works.   
  • Just in case anyone runs into issues with reinstalling the TAP in 10, I had problems where the installer (PIAs and openVPN) would fail.  Eventually figured out the issue was my Kaspersky 2015.  I updated to 2016 from Kaspersky's site (free if you have a valid license) and then I was able to reinstall TAP.
    I've tried installation with Kaspersky disabled completely and it makes no difference. The PIA tech told me they were experiencing more problems with 2016 than 2015, and that I should revert back if I was using 2016.
  • Also just tried installing both the PIA application, as well as just the TAP driver using compatibility modes for XP through Windows 8. Each time it didn't work, I did an uninstall of the ap and a registry clean to remove stragglers, and then rebooted with driver signature verification disabled.

I tried the same thing using the 64bit OpenVPN app, installing just the TAP driver, using comparability modes as well. Failure for each one...the TAP driver just will not install.

This was done with Kaspersky completely disabled, and even with windows Defender disabled. It's also with no software firewall enabled on the OS either.
  • I, too, am having this issue. Support has been kind, but I've been chasing my tail with them for a week. Setup on Windows 7 was a breeze, but Windows 10 has proven the opposite. This thread comes the closest to cracking my issue with R3mo's post. However, none of my [0000] files have the tap component ID. Has this been a disconnect with anyone else? I've literally worked through all the suggestions outlined in this thread; this has been one frustrating VPN, which is surprising after my experience on Windows 7/iOS/8.1 etc.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1
    I have a working solution.  This appears to be a Kaspersky issue, regardless of whether it is disabled.  Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and your VPN software and then install Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 and reinstall your VPN.
    Post edited by isdbnull on
  • svssvs
    I just upgraded to Windows 10 Ver 1511 (10586.14) and had this problem. It was solved by upgrading to OpenVPN 2.3.8. I ran the installer and PIA started working again normally right away. Download the latest OpenVPN version from https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html.
  • 'solved by upgrading to OpenVPN 2.3.8'
    Wooohoooo!!!!  thanks SVS that fixed it for me on Windows 10 Version 1511. I am now going forth to safely surf the interwebs once more  ^:)^
    Just a quick thanks to r3mo. I'm running Win10 Build 10586 and it worked like a charm!
    Since our IT guy was unavailable, I had success with the following method.

Opened network and sharing center-> adapter settings

right clicked on TAP adapter and did the following:
    1) diagnose connection
    2) disable connection (openvpn dropped off)
    3) re-enable connection
    4) connected openvpn

all was good.  Of course, I have no idea why