Port Forwarding Without Application PIA Script (Advanced Users)

edited October 2014 in VPN Setup Support Posts: 97
If you wish to enable port forwarding without using our application, you can still do so by using the following script: 

Port forwarding is available in the following gateways: 
Netherlands
Switzerland
CA North York
CA Toronto
Romania
Sweden
France
Germany

How to use it: 
2. chmod +x port_forward.sh
3. Make sure you are connected in one of the gateways that supports port forwarding
3. ./port_forward.sh <user> <password>

It should return something like: { "port": 23423 }

You can then enter this port into your software.

Note:  We are always open to your suggestions and feedback!
Post edited by Support on

Comments

I run the script and it gives me a port but this port is still closed.  I'm connecting using openvpn on lubuntu if it matters.  do you know how I can get this to work?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 13
    For those of you on a Mac OS X, it won't work right away.
    /Users/michaelkuck/bin/port_forward.sh: line 44: md5sum: command not found

Here is the solution:
    1) Open port_forward.sh with a text editor
    2) Replace "md5sum" with "md5 -r" (without the quotes)
    Done.

Post edited by ellokaykay on
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 13
    I had another issue where I got another (closed) port every time I run the script. The problem was that the local_ip should be the client ip from the VPN, not the external IP you receive.

Solution:  
    replace
    local_ip=`wget -q -O - 'https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/myip' | head -1`
    with
    local_ip=`ifconfig tun0 | grep "inet " | cut -d\  -f2|tee /tmp/vpn_ip`

and everything will be fine.
    Post edited by ellokaykay on
    Thank you for the feedback and I pinged this over to Dev. Keep the feedback coming!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 61
    I use symbols in addition to letters and numbers as part of my password for a PIA VPN log on.

I found that the symbols in the password would cause the './port_forward.sh' script to fail with an error similar to this ==>  bash: $doof6aeK: event not found

The workaround for me was to either enclosed the password in single quotes ' ' --or-- alternately by inserting a backslash \ before each symbol in the password before running the script.

Once that was done the 'port_forward.sh' script worked as expected.

FWIW, unless an option is incorporated into this new script to allow the hardcoding the PIA 'username' and password into 'port_forward.sh' before running...

I'm going to stick with the original script developed from the original post on this subject.  The original script requires 'curl' which 'port_forward.sh' _does_not_, but 'curl's' easy enough to install.

Post edited by martywd on
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 1
    As it is, the script does not work for me because I'm using a non-English locale (Japanese) where the "addr" in "inet addr" is represented by Japanese Katakana: inetアドレス. I therefore changed the line in the script where the IP is fetched like this:

local_ip=`ifconfig tun0|grep -oE "inet[^:]+: *10\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+"|awk -F : '{ print $2 }'|tee /tmp/vpn_ip`

Possibly the awk statement has to be amended to strip whitespace; in my case the IP starts directly behind the colon.
    Post edited by Mltvit on
  • You do realize that if you run the command twice in a row, you get a different port each time??? When you use the application to port forward, that port stays the same if you disconnect and reconnect to the same network. However when you run the script, you get a different port each time you run it. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, and have been wondering this for quite a while because my own scripts started doing that as well. Anybody have any input to share?

I have several similar scripts that I use on a router I run Debian on. I had to modify the script to get my external IP using a curl command because I run the script on a machine on the LAN which is behind the actual machine I use for a router . For that machine I run Debian with a minimal gui, setup the machine to be a router, and installed the PIA application because I was missing out on changing the encryption options when using my original PFsense setup.

Thanks all, hopefully we can figure this out.
    If you wish to enable port forwarding without using our application, you can still do so by using the following script: 

Port forwarding is available in the following gateways: 
    Netherlands
    Switzerland
    CA North York
    CA Toronto
    Romania
    Sweden
    France
    Germany

How to use it: 
    3. Make sure you are connected in one of the gateways that supports port forwarding

Note:  We are always open to your suggestions and feedback!

where in the settings do i put script to run please ive been looking but cannot find wear to put it im using netgear with dd-wrt build 232720 ver 3700 v4 thanks

well i would have thought some1 would have give me some help.also being a paying customer,
    well i would have thought some1 would have give me some help.also being a paying customer,
    These are user to user support forums. PIA does not usually participate here. And speaking as another paying customer, I do not really give a damn. (No offense intended.)

Fixing your router is probably not even possible. This thread is for doing the work on a PC. You may as well be complaining that your router is a badly designed toaster oven. Typical consumer routers are strictly *NOT* designed to do any of this stuff.

And for someone to give you step by step instructions, they would have to not only have the same exact model router, but also the same exact firmware on it. "Netgear" is a brand, not a router. You may well need to be far more specific. (Or not if all the DD-WRT builds are laid out the same.)

Try looking at instructions for DD-WRT VPN configurations. That will likely get you the information you seek.
  • Can nobody else replicate my claim about a new port being displayed each time the script is manually ran? I tried it on multiple machines with separate distros and I cannot get it to display the port that is displayed in the PIA application. It always displays a different port and every time the script is ran, it displays a new port. Can someone please enlighten me on this, weather I am the only person this is happening to? I have been quite frustrated lately trying to get my scripts to work but I'm not sure if they are TRULY working or just simply returning a random port number each time. The port returned in the output of script never matches the port in the application. Pretty confused about this.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4
    spongecake17  I  get the same results running a powershell script.
     borrowed this from tkfu  and use it with a L2TP connection which seems to be faster.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $ip = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration -Filter Index=Your L2TP adapter index).IPAddress[0]
    $web = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
    $response = $web.UploadString("https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment","user=your user name&pass=your password&client_id=
    your self generated key&local_ip=$ip")
    $port = $response.Substring(8,$response.IndexOf("}")-8)
    write-output $port
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Then I plug the port into bittorrent manually
    Each time it runs it gives a different port number.
    I connect, run some batch files to create a kill switch like in the in the PIA module (which I also borrowed from another genius here, thank you), run the powershell script to get the port and plug that port number where it needs to go.
    Seems to work.

Post edited by jrradtke on
  • Thanks so much for the verification; that was extrmely helpful. I am glad to see that the ports returned work for you though. I had ran into the issue where.. the returned port in the script appeared to be "closed" when entered into my torrenting application, or any other application requiring port forwarding. However it is important to note that this only happens ocassionally, not with all the numbers returned. This is why I have been confused regarding the scripts, but I will do another round of testing to see if I can verify what "jrradtke" said above. Hopefully you are right, and all the ports returned will work. I just find it so odd that the numbers never match, no matter how many times you run the script and the same number never seems to be outputted twice.
    I run VPN from my router and I'm trying to adapt this script to that application.  Anybody do the same already?

I thought it would be as easy as this:
    1) I cannot run scripts on my router (asus AC68 with merlin firmware) so instead I run the script on a virtual setup of Mint.  I edit the script to manually insert the local IP PIA gives me 10.x.x.x.  I then run the script and a port is given, eg 23420.  It seems like it's working.

2) I then have to forward the port from the TUN interface of the router to my PC.  I use the following iptable configuration.  I currently use these iptables settings with AirVPN.  The only change I had to make was using tun11 not tun12 and, of course, the port changes.
    iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -p udp -d 192.168.1.202 --dport 23420 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.202 --dport 23420 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 23420 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.202
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p udp --dport 23420 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.202

3) Then I insert the given port into utorrent...  With AirVPN at this point it's working perfectly.  With PIA, unfortunately, the port is never opened.  I test with http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and utorrent never gets incoming connections and shows the red sign.

So, anybody know what the problem might be?  Anybody have port forwarding with router based VPN working?  Thanks.
  • I have just come across this thread as I had been posting to a similar thread.

Basic setup is Win7 with OpenVPN Client 2.3.4. Connect to Netherlands.

First off I run this Powershell Script once to generate a Client_ID

$rand = New-Object  System.Random
    $chrstg = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890"
    $CLIENT_ID =""
    1..100 | % {$CLIENT_ID += $chrstg.substring($rand.next(1,$chrstg.length),1) }
    write-host $CLIENT_ID

I then copy the Client ID into this Powershell script to give me the same details each time as each new Client_ID generates a different port number.

#Version 1.17
    $USERNAME="piausername"
    $PASS="piapassword"
    $WEBGUI_HOST="127.0.0.1"
    $WEBGUI_USER="admin"
    $WEBGUI_PASS="monkeybrains"
    $WEBGUI_PORT=9999
    $ENABLEAUTOCHECK = $False # Set to $True to have the service restart to connect to vpn
    $ignoressl = $False  #Set to $True with pia has cert problems, not recommended.
    $debug= $False #Set to $True to see extra debug information
    $Timer=60 #Wait how many minutes before refreshing port number, default 60
    $rand = New-Object  System.Random
    $chrstg = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890"
    $CLIENT_ID ="LAW8dwe9dP71S9RigKjzyrHlLcwEE5mRrtiO6ctlAA13DBcSNmDBZccv3MxcbJFiEqKA1emfr999APRl0N1tCU2prXVuPrl26Tyo"
    #1..100 | % {$CLIENT_ID += $chrstg.substring($rand.next(1,$chrstg.length),1) }
    $count = 0
    $problemdetected = $false
    $servererror = $false
    $url="http://" + $WEBGUI_HOST + ":" + $WEBGUI_PORT + "/gui/"
    write-host "Enabled Auto Check is set to:"$ENABLEAUTOCHECK
    $saveY = 4
    $saveX = [console]::CursorLeft 
    $debugy = 6
    $currenty = 1
    $strmoving = 'O','o','_','o'   

function clearscreen ($start) {
        [console]::SetCursorPosition($savex,$start)
        for ($i=$start; $i -le 10;$i++)
        {Write-host "                                                                                  "}
        [console]::SetCursorPosition($savex,$start)
    }
    Function writedebuginfo($debugtext) {
        $tempy = [console]::Cursortop
        [console]::SetCursorPosition($start,$debugy)
        Write-host "                                                   "
        [console]::SetCursorPosition($start,$debugy)
        Write-Host $debugtext
        [console]::SetCursorPosition($savex,$tempy)
    }
    function isNumeric ($x) {
        try {
            0 + $x | Out-Null
            return $true
        }
        catch { return $false }
    }

if ($ignoressl) { [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::ServerCertificateValidationCallback = { $true }}

while($true) {
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("step 1")}
        try {
            $ip = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | Where-Object {$_.Description -like "TAP*"}).IPAddress[0]
            }
        catch [system.exception] {
            clearscreen (1)
            $a = get-date
            if ($ENABLEAUTOCHECK) {
                   Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "VPN is not connected. Restarting service (2 minutes) "
                Restart-Service OpenVPNService
                $problemdetected = $true
                Start-Sleep -s 120
            } else {
                Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "VPN is not connected. Checking again in 1 minute."
                Start-Sleep -s 60
            }
            continue
        }
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("step 2")}
        $ProcessActive = Get-Process uTorrent -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("step 3")}
        if($ProcessActive -eq $null -and ($count % $timer -eq 0)) {
            clearscreen (1)
            $a= get-date
            Write-host $a.toshorttimestring() "uTorrent is not running. Checking again in 1 minute."
            Start-Sleep -s 60
            continue
        } elseif (($count % $timer -eq 0) -or  $problemdetected) {
            try {
                $a= get-date
                $response = $null
                $servererror = $true
                $Web.Headers.Add("User-Agent", "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0")
                $web.Headers.Add("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded")
                $response = $web.UploadString("https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment","user=$USERNAME&pass=$PASS&client_id=$CLIENT_ID&local_ip=$ip")
                if ($response::IsNullOrEmpty ) {
                    Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "Did not get a respond from the server. Retrying in 1 minute."
                } else {
                    $port = $response.Substring(8,$response.IndexOf("}")-8)
                    if (isNumeric ($port) ) {
                        clearscreen (1)
                        Write-Host "VPN Local IP: " $ip Write-Host " Opened Port: " $port
                        $count = 0
                        $servererror = $false
                    } else {
                        clearscreen (1)
                        Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "Server returned an error,  Retrying in 1 minute."
                        Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() $response
                    }
                }
                if ($servererror) {Start-Sleep -s 60}
            }
                clearscreen (1)
                $a= get-date
                Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "Unable to connect to remote host. Retrying in 1 minute."
                $error[0].ToString() + $error[0].InvocationInfo.PositionMessage
                Start-Sleep -s 60
                continue
            }

if (!$servererror) {
                try {
                    $CookieContainer = New-Object System.Net.CookieContainer
                    $web.Credentials = New-Object System.Net.NetworkCredential($WEBGUI_USER,$WEBGUI_PASS)
                    $response = $web.DownloadString($url+"token.html")
                    $cookies =  $web.ResponseHeaders["Set-Cookie"]
                    $web.Headers.Add("Cookie", $cookies)
                    $token = $response.split('>')[2].split('<')[0]
                    $line = $web.DownloadString($url+"?action=setsetting&s=bind_port&v=$port&token=$token")
                    $problemdetected = $flase
                    $a = get-date
                    $a = $a.Addminutes($timer)
                    clearscreen (2)
                    Write-Host "Sleeping till update is needed again at at"  $a.toshorttimestring()
                    Write-Host "Press q to quit or any key to refresh"
                }
                    clearscreen (2)
                    $a = get-date
                    Write-Host $a.toshorttimestring() "Failed to update port via uTorrent WEBGUI."
                    write-Host "Please check the information you've given this script."
                }
            }
        }
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("step 4")}
        $counter = 0
        while(!$Host.UI.RawUI.KeyAvailable -and $counter++ -le  60 ) {
            $strmoving | ForEach-Object {
                Write-Host -Object $_ -NoNewline
                [Threading.Thread]::Sleep( 200 )
                [console]::SetCursorPosition($saveX,4)
            }
        }
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("step 5")}
        if ($Host.UI.RawUI.KeyAvailable) {
            $key = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey('NoEcho,IncludeKeyUp')
            if ($key.character -eq "Q") {break;}
               [Threading.Thread]::Sleep(500)
               $Host.UI.RawUI.FlushinputBuffer()
               $problemdetected = $true
        }
        $count +=1
        if ($debug) {writedebuginfo("finished loop")}
    }
    # SIG # Begin signature block
    # MIIEMwYJKoZIhvcNAQcCoIIEJDCCBCACAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMGkGCisGAQQB
    # gjcCAQSgWzBZMDQGCisGAQQBgjcCAR4wJgIDAQAABBAfzDtgWUsITrck0sYpfvNR
    # AgEAAgEAAgEAAgEAAgEAMCEwCQYFKw4DAhoFAAQU2wo8Hyc7siMJOpsEyIMJv5su
    # s2KgggI9MIICOTCCAaagAwIBAgIQtA1ten/oJatPfFYhZ2NukDAJBgUrDgMCHQUA
    # MCwxKjAoBgNVBAMTIVBvd2VyU2hlbGwgTG9jYWwgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGUgUm9vdDAe
    # Fw0xNDA4MTgwNzUwMTJaFw0zOTEyMzEyMzU5NTlaMBoxGDAWBgNVBAMTD1Bvd2Vy
    # U2hlbGwgVXNlcjCBnzANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOBjQAwgYkCgYEA0tM13LmIxDG1
    # 4bkDwXDkGJz3duIcxtj5N6LsPk+OoL9BMATdK0W/4ytEv1jOhyvEuTYw4i942qfa
    # Fu5knSvsXlWFHsSbMfFbjPVYzkgFajfsu9CdY3BhDFlVyvN1+20CtKBO02OdLyuH
    # mrAxMy2F9juL+226NINnihAC6bN14W0CAwEAAaN2MHQwEwYDVR0lBAwwCgYIKwYB
    # BQUHAwMwXQYDVR0BBFYwVIAQRkBJ2Q4GSWe/Z7EnCtKJf6EuMCwxKjAoBgNVBAMT
    # IVBvd2VyU2hlbGwgTG9jYWwgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGUgUm9vdIIQXTU2aWZjnaJKgm/X
    # 7bzGYTAJBgUrDgMCHQUAA4GBAC36IyYNalQr3EBWpcC2eSPMOW/C6qdCgRSZdb38
    # 3mS/KNFuI5Wv2OeH8mUQwz7frjFB7kooiy2AhtSd/ebF6dU3hjgJ+n+2k51Hpa8k
    # i1bCwT40+tJq/68Sf/P6IiNRzu5nfZThvuiB1OrUSQkIKm49VlcvKT/l/ha/DL3k
    # lt4uMYIBYDCCAVwCAQEwQDAsMSowKAYDVQQDEyFQb3dlclNoZWxsIExvY2FsIENl
    # cnRpZmljYXRlIFJvb3QCELQNbXp/6CWrT3xWIWdjbpAwCQYFKw4DAhoFAKB4MBgG
    # CisGAQQBgjcCAQwxCjAIoAKAAKECgAAwGQYJKoZIhvcNAQkDMQwGCisGAQQBgjcC
    # AQQwHAYKKwYBBAGCNwIBCzEOMAwGCisGAQQBgjcCARUwIwYJKoZIhvcNAQkEMRYE
    # FIz1WFsD6Dwdrq1lHmmgkRtAGwKsMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUABIGAKJv+LFmJvrJ+
    # Ah1RZdRoeppyDLxlrKwAXnGpjrkIfx8jFvko8ZWIC4lt2Mvo36nW0JyxG8lh2rpJ
    # /Z8MqT9UWa0vQq0cHsa16d+sTJ7APTVKRMydz/o0T9C8QkzAJelArO9TwxMEam/S
    # 5tSZmbBYYVwudvWO2PntuQUy0JqI1pw=
    # SIG # End signature block

My problem is no matter what port number is returned uTorrent refuses to work as it keeps saying the port is closed.

My only conclusion is that in the PIA client app, a Client_ID is registed during the connection initiation and then this client_app is registered to a particular port number and it works a treat. However when using OpenVPN client this CLIENT_ID maybe being generated by PIA during the connection initiation but is not released to the OpenVPN client and when we come to run our own scripts using a different Client_ID to the one created in the connection we get a differnet port to the one actually allocated. If you understand my drift!

My delemna is to either use the rock solid connection that the OpenVPN gives me but currently no access to a working open port, or go with the unstable PIA client which does give me a working open port.

Memo, how does this port forwarding API actually work? Is a client ID generate during the OpenVPN connection and the PIA client gets access to this whereas OpenVPN does not. What is in thisRuby Script. Could it be released as source code to help us.

Can alone confirm it does work all the time, intermittently or not at all on Windows? Also on other OS as well.

No responses to my post above so I'll ask again: Does anybody have port forwarding working when connecting to PIA with a router?  Thanks
  • Sorry cosmoxl, I don't use a router to connect to pia.

I still have not had a reply from support on email, been a few days now so I guess it's not an issue form the answer. Oh and I still can not get PIA open ports to work with just the OpenVPN client. Just wish there was more interaction but I see that alot of companies off load their support onto "Community" based forums and then they do not participate themselves.
    @Peter_Brown - you're asking the wrong people. what you are asking in your first post is not "how do I get port forwarding to work" you're actually asking "how do I make this script work?" So you need to ask the author of it. It this company didn't write it, they'd first have to figure it out before they could tell you what is wrong with it or if there is a problem then  with their service.

@cosmoxl - you're question leaves out way to many details for anyone really answer your without having a "conversation" to first ask for all the details you left out or even figure out your situation enough to figure out what questions to ask.

That said
    the port forwarding feature PIA provides seems pretty simple by itself.
    The hard part is making various apps work once the forwarding it set up.

Their process is basically
    1) you call their web service to register that you want port forwarding
    2) their service assigns you a port, sets up the forwarding piece in their routes/gateways/proxies/whatever...
    3) you then need to finish configuring your apps and maybe even your own firewall and OS to take advantage of the 1 port that will allow forwarding

one main rule I can see about their service is:
    if you don't provide the IP address they provide you, then the port number will be wrong

I know this is true because my first attempt at a python script was sending a the wrong IP address, so even with the same client id, I kept getting a different value.
    @Peter.. if your script keeps returning a different port number each time
    either its not using the same client id on each run or its sending the wrong ip address.
    or it is possible their service is messed up.

Honestly I have some concerns about the security of their service and how easy or hard it might actually be to attack it and break forwarding for everyone :(
    I think whoever originally came up with the idea missed a few crucial points in that design that is making a lot harder to secure and stabilize than it needs to be.

• edited September 2014 Posts: 10
    that said, you're welcome to try my python script since I'm running on win7 64 bit.
    It makes 2 major assumptions that might cause some people problems
    1) all PIA IP v4 adddress start with "10" so "10.x.x.x" or "100.x.x.x"
    2) no other windows IP v4 addresses on the box will start with 10
    If you have a scenario that violates either of these the script won't work reliably

EDIT: Warning - the port I have is getting changed every few days using this.
    Thoughts:
    The port registration might have a time out and unless the request is resubmitted every 24? 36? 48? hours then the port could get changed.
    So rerun this script every few hours?
    Assuming this is the case.
    Somehow the PIA client does manage to keep both the port and IP over more than 1 day

PYTHON VERSION: 3.4.1
    the install file is: python-3.4.1.amd64.msi
    https://www.python.org/download

import ssl
    import http.client
    import socket
    import urllib.parse

context = ssl.create_default_context()
    h = http.client.HTTPSConnection('www.privateinternetaccess.com', 443, context=context)
    user = 'YOURID'
    pw = 'YOURPASSWORD'
    # I don't know what the REAL restrictions on the client ID is
    # my guess is their code doesn't validate all the possibilities
    # and will at least sort of work with many variations
    pia_client_id = 'dklj449ygvfleblasefv343xq23ffmiy'

for tmpaddr in socket.gethostbyname_ex(socket.gethostname())[2]:
        if tmpaddr.startswith("10") : local_ip = tmpaddr
    print(local_ip)
    data = {'user': user, 'pass': pw, 'client_id': pia_client_id, 'local_ip': local_ip }
    postdata = urllib.parse.urlencode(data)
    h.request("POST", "/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment", body=postdata)
    resp = h.getresponse()
    respdata = resp.read()
    print(respdata)
    f = open('c:\\bin\\pia_port.txt', 'wb')
    f.write(respdata)
    f.flush()
    f.close()
    print("done")

Post edited by p1458324 on
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4
    Not working for me. The end result is:

Loading port forward assignment information..
    {}
    Post edited by keldian on
  • Hello
    downloaded the script, chmodded and ran it with my username and pass
    "Loading port forward information"... then script ends without returning the port-name.

OS is Freenas (FreeBSD) 9.2.1.7

Any tips where to start the troubleshoot?
  • Furthermore - provided URL returns 404 if typed on browser - does this mean that the service is down or URL has changed?
  • My PIA app on Linux doesn't show the open port since today 10/16/2014. It had been working properly since early this year. I tried different server and the manual script ( returned {} ) and no port open. What is going on?
    Thanks.
    My PIA app on Linux doesn't show the open port since today 10/16/2014. It had been working properly since early this year. I tried different server and the manual script ( returned {} ) and no port open. What is going on?
    Thanks.
    People using the application are not able to forward ports for some reason. PIA seems aware of the problem.

And this is the thread for port forwards WITHOUT the application. So you may get better results in another thread. (There are several to choose from.)

• People using the application are not able to forward ports for some reason. PIA seems aware of the problem.

And this is the thread for port forwards WITHOUT the application. So you may get better results in another thread. (There are several to choose from.)

Thanks for the response, I chose this thread becausa I tried also manually getting the open port number but no avail. Anyway, if PIA is aware of this problem I can expect a solution shortly. Thanks again.

• Hi

I am no longer able to hover over the system tray icon (Windows 7), & see the port number. PIA tell me they are working on it.

In the mean time I am a Newbie(thick as F***), so will somebody tell me how I go about using this

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/port_forward.sh

I have copied & pasted the script into notepad,& saved it as a.vbs file.

What do I do with it now.

Many thanks

• Hi

just saw other posts

Can someone post link to correct thread please

Hi

just saw other posts

Can someone post link to correct thread please

If you do not have PIA's client installed on your system, then this is the correct thread for you. And just to be clear, I was not trying to be rude to the obove poster. I just wanted to make sure he knew there are plenty of other threads about this on the forums, and if he is using the client, he will doubtlessly get better information in one of them.

If you are simply unsure what thread to post to, please feel free to make your own thread. If your issues fall into something being discussed in another, the odds are someone will link it into your thread anyway.

But at the moment, I cannot be certain what thread to suggest for you. You do not implicitly say you are using the client, and do not implicitly say you are not.
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

As you can see from my first post I am using PIA Client, but it aint showing port number.

Hi

I am no longer able to hover over the system tray icon (Windows 7), & see the port number. PIA tell me they are working on it.

I found this thread whilst trying to find another way of obtaining the port number.

Will you be able to tell me what to do with this:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/port_forward.sh

From my limited knowledge, I pasted it into Notepad, & saved it as a .vbs file

Please see Quote below

How to use it: 

Many thanks
  • Hi

Forgot to mention I use Port forwarding vie the PIA Client(Netherlands)