Many experts agree that Windows is the most vulnerable operating system on the market. While Windows might not be the best when it comes to security, it still dominates the desktop market with a market share of over 80%.
If you’re on a Windows computer, make sure you use antimalware to keep your device protected and a VPN to encrypt your traffic. A VPN will hide your IP and create a virtual and secure tunnel for your data to pass through.
There are several ways in which you can install a VPN on your Windows computer. Here are some of them.
Installing a Windows VPN app
Top VPN providers have their own custom apps for Windows users. Installation of these apps takes just a couple of minutes. Here are the steps to download and install the PIA Windows application.
- Visit the Windows installer download page and download the installer.
- Run the installer to install the VPN.
- Once the application is installed, open it.
- Enter the username and password as given in the email from Private Internet Access and click on Save.
This is it. Your VPN is ready to work in just a minute. Click on Connect whenever you want to be secure online.
If you’ve purchased VPN services through a provider that doesn’t offer a custom app, you’ll need to work a bit harder.
Here’s how you can configure VPN services on your Windows 10 computer.
- Go to the Settings and click on Network and Internet.
- Select VPN. This will open the VPN screen.
- Click on “Add a VPN Connection”.
- Enter the VPN details as given by your provider. You’ll need to enter the server name, connection name, and protocol. You can pick PPTP or L2TP.
- Enter the username and password as given by your provider. Click on Save.
Your VPN is now installed. To run it, click on the network icon on the taskbar and select the VPN connection.
This process works for PPTP and L2TP. For IKEv2, you’ll need a root certificate given by your VPN provider. You can talk to your provider for the right steps for the particular version of Windows you’re using.
With these simple steps, you’ll be able to run VPN on your Windows device. If you’re not a techie, it’s best to get services from a provider that have their own custom application for Windows. Private Internet Access has applications for all major providers so all your devices can stay secure.