Application Google Play Android/OpenVPN

edited October 2014 in Privacy News Posts: 167
To our beloved customers,

Thank you for your patience!  We have just released our Android application built on OpenVPN.  The application has many features:

VPN Connect on Boot
VPN Connect on Startup
TCP/UDP Mode
Port Control
Local Port Control
Find Server By Lowest Ping
... and more!

Please give it a download by clicking here or searching for "VPN by Private Internet Access" on Google Play.  If you like it, please give us a "high five!" (5 star rating)

Post edited by Support on

Comments

Reserved
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 261
    Awesome. =D>
    I have posted a tutorial on the forum for anyone who needs help with the app. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1023/tut-how-to-use-android-pia-vpn-app-apk-inside
    Post edited by thisisme786 on
    Awesome, going to test it soon.
    Will post feedback here.
    thisisme786, as always - awesome!  Please let us know!  Thanks again!
  • i can't seem to connect using the app (i'm sure the login info is correct - tried 5 times).  there is at least 2 others who are the same issue who posted on the FB page.

i can't seem to connect using the app (i'm sure the login info is correct - tried 5 times).  there is at least 2 others who are the same issue who posted on the FB page.

Hi haversham,

Do you have a TUN driver on your Android 4.0+ device?
  • working great on my Samsung GS3 with custom ROM. Thanks Support!
  • Support,

i don't know what a TUN driver is.  how can i check?
    crashes for me :( http://pastebin.com/Rb6eArKq
    Hi, how did you get this debug file.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 16
    A few things:

1- Why aren't all the servers on there, like Seattle and Midwest (Seattle isn't even listed)?
    2- I have Android 4.2.2 and can't connect; any ideas why the app stops out when it tries to get client configuration?
    3- Someone mentioned a TUN driver.  Anyone care to elaborate  wtf that is and why it's not built into the app if it's necessary?  :)

Post edited by z3rocool on
  • crashes for me :( http://pastebin.com/Rb6eArKq
    Hi, how did you get this debug file.
    use a logcat app. I use this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat
  • if I recall correctly, TUN drivers are model specific, and must be compiled for a particular model or variant
    3- Someone mentioned a TUN driver.  Anyone care to elaborate  wtf that is and why it's not built into the app if it's necessary?  :)
    I think k the issue is the app, not out phones. We can't all have driver issues, except for a select, few. That generally points to an app issue with non baseline devices.

I can get the proxies to with the openvpn app, so I think pia should be looking into their app for clues.
    So it appears vpnjni is the culprit and my research shows its related to the Os. The issue is I'm on cyanogenmod 10.1 and can vpnjni with other apps... Maybe pia can find a work around for devices without the tun?

http://pastebin.com/vRDF4L4t
    I have been using OpenVPN for Android with apparently zero problems (Samsung Galaxy Note II and Note 10.1). 

I connect first time (and reconnect automatically, e.g. when transitioning to/from wifi <--> data) and it's not been a noticeable drain on any resources.  So I have what might be a dumb question:  

Any reason I should switch to this new App?

Regards,

Andrew

• I became a lifetime member of PIA right now :)
  • I became a lifetime member of PIA right now :)
    Hi,
    How do you get a lifetime subscription.
    Er, I think he meant "I love it so much, I will subscribe forever".  :)
  • Is there any way we could get a direct link to the app?  I use PIA for privacy and I would prefer Google not knowing that I use PIA.  Downloading OpenVPN was bad enough because it made it abundantly clear that I was using a VPN service, but downloading this app will target me directly as a PIA user.  My PIA account isn't associate with my regular email address or other accounts at all and I would prefer to keep it that way.

tl;dr I would appreciate a direct link to the app instead of having to download/install through Google Play.
    Is there any way we could get a direct link to the app?  I use PIA for privacy and I would prefer Google not knowing that I use PIA.  Downloading OpenVPN was bad enough because it made it abundantly clear that I was using a VPN service, but downloading this app will target me directly as a PIA user.  My PIA account isn't associate with my regular email address or other accounts at all and I would prefer to keep it that way.

tl;dr I would appreciate a direct link to the app instead of having to download/install through Google Play.
    Here you go: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1023/tutorial-how-to-use-android-pia-vpn-app-apk-inside
    would love to see a iptables manager for this app
    Hi,

I've successfully used the Android app in the past, but I have a new phone (HTC One) and I can connect fine and it says Connected and sending data, but it says it doesn't receive any data...

Any suggestions?
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem as Hav0k above.  I connect okay and the app shows that I'm sending data, but not receiving any.  I have an HTC EVO 3D.  Any suggestions on what to try next?  Is there any additional information I can provide?
    Post edited by AnonymousCoward on
  • VPNVPN
    @Hav0k @AnonymousCoward: Does it make a difference if you are on the mobile network or on WiFi?
  • @VPN:  No, I get the same result using 3G and WiFi.
  • Using it on my Note 1.  Works like a charm.  1UP PIA!
  • I have been using this app since release, and it's fantastic. Was getting over 30mbps on a free wifi network in thailand earlier this year and that level of performance is terrific. This app is very reliable.

Just one suggestion: can you please add a "Torrent Automatic Server Selection" so that users who want to transfer Peer to Peer traffic don't accidentally do it through US/UK servers? The automatic server selection is great, but in my home country (Australia) it always gives me US servers (which is fine, i wish i had a second automatic server selection allowing for P2P however)
  • Please allow us to choose encryption like the windows beta
    Can this app automatically connect server with ip address when server domain name can't be lookup ? 
  • VPNVPN
    It will probably need to have name resolution for at least www.privateinternetaccess.com to fetch the server list if it is anything like the Windows app.
    If you can set static hostname entries you can circumvent this requirement.