What are you guys doing to secure your browsing?

I think I'm decently secure in my browsing over the "ever-prying eyes" of the internet.  How about you guys?  I wanted to see what you've found along the way that help you browse as anonymous as possible.  Maybe we can share some of your/our tactics?

So...here we go...

I have OpenVPN hooked up via PIA.  That's a given.  I feel the OpenVPN that PIA offers, gives me the best security when browsing online.  Google doesn't seem to know my location, and all of the websites don't know my true IP address.

Also, I make sure that I stop WebRTC local IP address leaks via the great folks at PIA (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/8204/how-to-stop-webrtc-local-ip-address-leaks-on-google-chrome-and-mozilla-firefox-while-using-private-i).  I make sure that my firefox browser doesn't leak anything I don't want it to leak.

As far as browsers go, I DON'T use Chrome.  As much as I love the big 'G', they seem to LOVE to track me.  I never log in to my gmail when I'm surfing.  So, I use Firefox- via a 'New Private Window' so my history isn't tracked, no cookies, no temporary internet files, etc.

I also use a hosts file.  (http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm).  This is one of my biggest fans of feeling like I'm not being tracked, via all the ads that we see every day.  It blocks ads, 3rd party cookies, all the doubleclick ads, - and any ads that are trying to connect to me.

And finally- I never try to stay logged in to any given website or service.  I feel that FB is the biggest offender, where if you stay logged in, they'll track all the website you visit, every time.

So what are you guys doing to protect your right to surf in privacy?

Comments

• I also use the mvps host file with a few custom entries. But I don't use it for privacy. I use it mainly to block ads (combined with uBlock Firefox extension). I'm thinking of writing my own DNS server that will autoreject entries from the mvps host file so that I don't need to install the host file on every machine. Modifying the host file on Android OS is a pain and I've never really got it work successfully.

I only use PIA for torrents and the secure browsing is just an added bonus.
    I signed up to https://www.startmail.com/ for all emails , unlike gmail etc your emails cant be read off the server like Google can and are encrypted and completely gone when you delete them , it does cost but you get two free addresses with your purchase , I also don't use Google at all any more , even though they dont get a true IP going through PIA I just feel its no ones business to track where Im going , I now use https://duckduckgo.com/ , they guarantee no tracking and don't keep logs , I find searches as good as the other search engines :)
    I use DuckDuckGo and ixquick as my search engines. Both are safe and secure. Neither will log anything.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,103
    I'm a little disappointed with Ixquick. They recently started implementing occasional captchas when using Tor, indicating they do look at your IP address.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/2mqr7e/startpagecom_now_requires_tor_users_to_complete/
    Post edited by catcher749 on
    In truth I could do more, but there is always some cost in convenience, useability...

(venn diagram from here).

In the last three paragraphs Qubes lead developer writes about using multiple browsers for sensitive and non-sensitive stuff:
    http://blog.invisiblethings.org/2007/10/17/thoughts-on-browser-rootkits.html

One could use multiple VMs in a similar fashion to help against browser fingerprinting and correlation. And think twice about every entity entrusted.

Whonix or Tails, both based on Tor, are good for anonymity but ideally traffic will be HTTPS, and has downsides.
    https://thetinhat.com/tutorials/darknets/tor-vpn.html
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14
    I'm sure you guys know of it, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread:

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

That site from EFF will measure your browser and give you an idea on how unique your browser set up is. If only 1 in 2 browsers have the same value as you, tracking you will be pretty trivial.  (Whoops, it's actually the opposite. Thank you cosmoxl.)It's kind of difficult to balance since the more add-ons you use for protection, the more unique (read: trackable) you become.

As far as add-ons for browsers go, without a doubt I'd recommend Self-Destructing Cookies, HTTPS Everywhere, and Policeman if you're on a Firefox variant.
    Post edited by EntropySquared on
    I believe you're misunderstanding the data in panopticlick. 

1 in 2 means there are many browsers that are similar.  That's a good thing when you want to be anonymous. 

1/235234 is very bad.  means your browser is unique - not anonymous. 
  • VPNVPN
    Logging out of Facebook will not stop them from tracking your website visits with Like Buttons.

I use different browser profiles, some of which use VPN connections in virtualized containers (light VMs). Most browser profiles carry the usual suspects of extensions.
    I run my own mail and xmpp servers, synchronization via Owncloud. I don't have social media accounts. I don't go to tinyurl-type URLs.

Decentralization is a big point in staying anonymous. If you do all your searches with Google, host your mails, address book and calender there, use their browser and their mobile phone, you can't hide behind a VPN.
    Logging out of Facebook will not stop them from tracking your website visits with Like Buttons.

I use different browser profiles, some of which use VPN connections in virtualized containers (light VMs). Most browser profiles carry the usual suspects of extensions.
    I run my own mail and xmpp servers, synchronization via Owncloud. I don't have social media accounts. I don't go to tinyurl-type URLs.

Decentralization is a big point in staying anonymous. If you do all your searches with Google, host your mails, address book and calender there, use their browser and their mobile phone, you can't hide behind a VPN.
    Well duh, lol.
    I find myself logged in to my gmail within Firefox, all while using my PIA VPN, surfing around the web in multiple tabs within the same browser.

If I'm logged in to Gmail, can the big G see anything else I'm surfing while in the same browser?
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 17
    Lol my solution is very low tech if extremely basic. But it is 100% effective guaranteed - for my desktop computer that is...

How? I do not connect it to the internet. Nor does it have any hardware capable of doing so. I'd like to see someone hack into that remotely.

Then if I want to browse I use my mobile. I can download files, which I often do cause I design games. Then securely transfer them on a micro SD. Never a direct connection that could be hacked like Wifi or even a USB cable.

Why do I put myself through this hassle? Am I doing anything illegal? No, I'm just happy with XP but it is too prone to viruses. If I want a piece of software I either write it myself or download it securly. In the worst case scenario I have to format the HD and reinstall the OS.

I have yet to find any software I want to use that I couldn't find an XP version or equivalent alternative for. Easy days :)
    Post edited by aaronlowe on
  • Hi,
    Securing web browser nowadays has become very important. This is because every details can be hacked by harmful virus and it can be very risky. while browsing there are several things which can be harmful for your computer and so at one time I have also get frustrated with such pop-up ads or unwanted links. 

After doing several searches, I have got a solution in one of the post. The post helped me a lot and it was very helpful guide. I am sharing the site which can be helpful for you guys also.

Hi,
    Securing web browser nowadays has become very important. This is because every details can be hacked by harmful virus and it can be very risky. while browsing there are several things which can be harmful for your computer and so at one time I have also get frustrated with such pop-up ads or unwanted links. 

After doing several searches, I have got a solution in one of the post. The post helped me a lot and it was very helpful guide. I am sharing the site which can be helpful for you guys also https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/forewarned-forearmed
    Actually I share your opinion, as you should try to protect yourself using all the posiible means including browser's settings or secure logout. It should be worked together like a protected combination)
  • Hi,
    security is one of the important thing that every guy should think of. Without security there is nothing safe nowadays as there are so much risk of data that criminals steals the important data of user and makes use of them as illegal purpose. Therefore making your all data in secured way is the best option and never hit on any links or pop-ups that you receive while browsing.
  • I follow these steps to clean and secure my web browsers:

1 – I configure browser’s security and privacy settings

2 – I always update and keep my browser updated

3 – I have setup the Sign up for alerts

4 - When I install any software, plug-ins, add-ons, toolbars, extension I always keep my eyes open and remove any unwanted software that lies within it.

5 – When I do online banking, I always check that URL is protected, mean it is having https:// where stand for safe & secure.

6 – My PC have both Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware.

• Here you have short tips to secure your Windows PC.

System Updates
    Make sure you have the latest Windows and other Microsoft updates installed. Security researchers uncover new vulnerabilities in Windows components almost weekly, so make sure automatic updates is on, or visit Windows Update regularly.

Software Updates
    Every piece of software on your PC that interacts with the Internet or files could be a possible vector for virus / worm exploitation. It's very important you keep all your programs up to date

Browsers Plugins
    Since web exploits are the number one vector for malware, it's important to use a secure web browser.

Disable unwanted plugins

To disable plugins in IE (you should do this even if IE isn't your main browser), goto Options -> Manage Addons

To disable plugins in Firefox, goto Addons -> Plugins.

To disable plugins in Chrome, go to chrome:plugins in the address bar.