Encryption: Now It's In Your Control

edited October 2014 in Privacy News Posts: 167
UPDATE (Sun Sep 22 18:51:04 UTC 2013): We have released a new Windows version with a bug fix for some of the issues you saw.  The Windows link below has the new version.

To our beloved customers,

As promised, we've added several new encryption modes/levels to our service.  However, even more importantly, we are empowering /you/ to be able to choose the encryption mode/level to your liking.

This application is currently in beta form, but we've tested it quite thoroughly internally.  However, if you run into any issues, please be sure to leave a post/reply on this forum thread, and we will address it with utmost priority.

To learn more about the new encryption mode/levels featured in our application, please visit https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/vpn-encryption

Thank you for your business, and please stay safe, stay secret, stay secure.

Yours truly,
Private Internet Access
Post edited by Support on

Comments

• Love you PIA. Thanks a lot. 
  • VPNVPN
    This[1] is probably the single most useful, honest and empowering page I have ever seen by any VPN provider. Thanks for making it.

[1] https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/vpn-encryption

Additionally, thanks for opening the beta to customers. I'm going to play around with it as soon as detailed OpenVPN instructions arrive.

• Application seems to be connected(green) but no internet connection and tap driver showing as unidentified network. I am on windows 8.
    @user1234,

Is this issue you are experiencing specific to this new (beta) version?
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 73
    Yes. Worked fine before i installed the new application and also tested again with old application and it's working ok.
    EDIT:Checked with ipconfig and it seems like it doesn't detect the gateway on tab driver.
    EDIT:Yep if i add all info manually it works correct.
    Post edited by user1234 on
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 59
    Would be great if the Android and iOs apps have the feature as well. Everything is working well in Windows 7. Regards
    Post edited by christarzan on
  • When will we get these new configs for OpenVPN clients like viscosity?
  • Please add a Linux client with these features, I know many PIA customers that swear on Linux since it is more secure. Security in windows is an illusion.
  • Please add a Linux client with these features, I know many PIA customers that swear on Linux since it is more secure. Security in windows is an illusion.
    Absolutely this. I run Debian and haven't run Windows since the revelations; though I mostly used *nix before then also. Though a proper *nix GUI would be nice (as other VPN providers offer), it's not essential and I doubt many *nix users would baulk at editing config files. Are there options we can add to the .ovpn files to specify encryption levels? 

That said with the influx of new users finding their feet I do still think it's important to give Linux, BSD etc some love and sort out a proper client with forwarding abilities and so on.
    @defcon @rainmakerraw @TomRipper We are working on a Linux application, but we apologize greatly for the delay in this.  Prior to its release, however, we will be releasing the configs required to use this with the standard OpenVPN (at the end of the beta/soon).

@christarzan Our iOS application is still in development, but I am confident our developers will incorporate this in some way.
  • Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated and thankyou for taking the time to respond and implement a Linux application and ovpn settings so we can get this working quicker.
    @defcon @rainmakerraw @TomRipper We are working on a Linux application, but we apologize greatly for the delay in this.  Prior to its release, however, we will be releasing the configs required to use this with the standard OpenVPN (at the end of the beta/soon).

@christarzan Our iOS application is still in development, but I am confident our developers will incorporate this in some way.
  • @defcon @rainmakerraw @TomRipper We are working on a Linux application, but we apologize greatly for the delay in this.  Prior to its release, however, we will be releasing the configs required to use this with the standard OpenVPN (at the end of the beta/soon).

That's awesome, thanks!
  • This is great. Do we need to disconnect and reconnect in order to change settings? Or can we make changes on the fly.
  • @defcon @rainmakerraw @TomRipper We are working on a Linux application, but we apologize greatly for the delay in this.  Prior to its release, however, we will be releasing the configs required to use this with the standard OpenVPN (at the end of the beta/soon).

Great. Will the eventual *nix GUI include port forwarding, killswitch etc (basically incorporate the current community-written PIA-IPTM script functionality)? I'd be interested in the newer configs sooner rather than later...
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1
    I just set up the client, but for some reason, everytime I try to connect ends in a disconnect shortly after.  Do I need to set something in the port forwarding or what?
    Post edited by Lexitim on
  • Thanks for this client. But I am just discovering that this client does not seem to play nicely with my screen-reader: cannot read controls. So I am back to using the built-in L2TP. And the strange thing is that when I am connected to VPN, I cannot access this forum, :( so am outta of the shell right now.
    This is great. Do we need to disconnect and reconnect in order to change settings? Or can we make changes on the fly.
    Unfortunately, you will need to reconnect to change encryption modes.

Great. Will the eventual *nix GUI include port forwarding, killswitch etc (basically incorporate the current community-written PIA-IPTM script functionality)? I'd be interested in the newer configs sooner rather than later...
    The application will feature everything in our other OS applications. :-)

I just set up the client, but for some reason, everytime I try to connect ends in a disconnect shortly after.  Do I need to set something in the port forwarding or what?
    Do you have any more details in regard to this issue?  Did this happen in the past?

Thanks for this client. But I am just discovering that this client does not seem to play nicely with my screen-reader: cannot read controls. So I am back to using the built-in L2TP. And the strange thing is that when I am connected to VPN, I cannot access this forum, :( so am outta of the shell right now.
    Please contact our support desk for further assistance!

We will have the configs/etc. sooner than later!

Thank you all for your patience and understanding!

• The beta works great on my Win XP Pro computer. The only option not working is the VPN Kill Switch.  If I turn this on, I can't access the internet, nor do I get a port number from the server.
  • The Mac client seems to be working well except for UDP.  I can't connect to any of the usual trackers via udp.  Switching back to TCP makes it all work again.
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/vpn-encryption

The page linked here says that AES-128 is fastest for most users.  Is this because of the AES instruction set that modern CPUs have? 

My desktop CPU is older, intel Q6600, and doesn't support the AES instruction set.  Would the Blowfish option be faster for this chip?
  • VPNVPN
    That depends if your OS has any specialized routines and if your crypto suite can access those or brings its own specialized routines. OpenSSL can contain optimzed 64bit routines for AES, making it quite fast. AES has seen a bit more optimization because of its status as official standard.
    Trucrypt had a mode to test throughput for the different crypto suites it supports, but I'm not sure if Blowfish was one of those.
    Truecrypt does not have Blowfish in the benchmark, but it does have Twofish. And that is basically just a slightly harder version of Blowfish.

(Disregard the words Slightly and Harder if you think I am ignorant of the way the algorithm is made in each of them. Twofish, despite being better all around, has a minor downside that limits it relatively in a bit for bit comparison to Blowfish.)
  • Great! Now works well. This program seems to be promising. Will tinker with different encryptions to see what works over this side.
  • Anyone got this working on OpenVPN on iOS ?
    VPN, in my case I'm just using this PIA beta app and windows 7 x64 with all updates.

• The Beta works beautifully except for the 'VPN kill switch' haven't been able to get that working on Win 8 till now.
  • Speeds seem to be in the toilet with the new client  :(  (default settings - this applies to ANY of the servers; have tried them all)

• Using OX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and the default encryption settings with port forwarding enabled to the CA- Toronto server I am getting MUCH better speeds on torrents than I was using v.31 over the past week. I will be tinkering with the encryption settings a bit more down the road but for now this thing is working phenomenally. I really also want to applaud PIA for allowing these options for their users as well as setting up a useful guide for those who are not familiar with cryptography or lean on the paranoid side.
    UPDATE: We have released a new Windows version with a bug fix for some of the issues you found.  The Windows link above now points to the new version.
  • UPDATE: We have released a new Windows version with a bug fix for some of the issues you found.  The Windows link above now points to the new version.
    Yep seem to have fixed the issue. Thanks.