Google backend services don't work over PIA VPN

edited November 2015 in General Privacy Discussion Posts: 4
I'm running PIA VPN on my DD-WRT router so that all the traffic is going over the VPN.

However, I found that this causes problems because the Google backend services behind a lot of of popular sites/apps don't work over the VPN.  This is problematic, because, as you might have heard, they run some of the most popular sites/services on the internet!

What's weird is how it is inconsistent across platforms that are all connected to the same DD-WRT router running the PIA VPN connection.

Is this happening to everybody?  It's kinda hard to live without all these critical tools working!

My testing results:

Google Maps: 
- works: browser (Chrome on Mac), iOS app
- doesn't work: Android app

Google Keep:
- works: browser (Chrome on Mac)
- doesn't work: Android app (read cloud data ok; new entered data doesn't get uploaded)
- not tested: iOS

Google Inbox:
- works for both send and receive: browser (Chrome on Mac), iOS app
- doesn't work: Android app (send no work; receive works)

Google Hangouts Messaging

Google Hangouts phone or video Calling
- works: hangouts chrome app on Mac
- doesn't work: Android app, iOS app (tries to call but spins then times out)

Youtube:
- doesn't work on any platform.  All can search and browse UI, but playing videos doesn't work. 

Google Play store:
- doesn't work on android. Spins and times out unable to connect to the backend.

Google Drive:
- Works: Mac, iOS
- Doesn't work: Android (can't upload new files, can't access files not already cached on phone)

Google Sheets:
- Works: Mac
- Doesn't work: Android (can browse file list but can't open/loadanything)

Android voice recognition will accept the recording but can't upload it for processing.

Post edited by hiroo on
Tagged:

Comments

Seriously, nobody uses Google stuff over PIA VPN?
  • What kind of error are you getting?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 41
    I use mac Office 2016 with google mail services and it send & receive without issue but can't send in isp only , and seriously who would use google for everything ? not me ! What's the point of privacy if your handing over personal private info on a large scale ?
    Post edited by Redback813 on
    I don't get errors, when they don't work, things just never load or send.

For example, when an Android phone is connected to WiFi running PIA VPN, incoming Hangouts messages will show up, but if I respond, it tries for a while then times out and the message isn't sent.  I would think IP blocking, but then I can pick up an iPad attached to the same WiFi network and send a Hangouts message ok.

Most of the others that don't work are similar, it tries for a while then times out and says the server is not reachable.  

Like I said, I would suspect IP blocking like with Craigslist, but other devices or platforms on the same VPN connection will work.
  • hiroo said:
    I don't get errors, when they don't work, things just never load or send.

For example, when an Android phone is connected to WiFi running PIA VPN, incoming Hangouts messages will show up, but if I respond, it tries for a while then times out and the message isn't sent.  I would think IP blocking, but then I can pick up an iPad attached to the same WiFi network and send a Hangouts message ok.

Most of the others that don't work are similar, it tries for a while then times out and says the server is not reachable.  

Like I said, I would suspect IP blocking like with Craigslist, but other devices or platforms on the same VPN connection will work.
    So no "untrusted connections" or anything relating to invalid SSL certificate? I had a problem relating to this and thought it was the VPN so wondering if you do too.

If not, what server location are you using? Also, you could be connected to the same server location but I think there are several IP address for each location so maybe one IP is blocked and one isn't.
    I have PIA connected via the router (Tomato), so everything is going through the VPN.  I have no issues with any google services, either on multiple laptops (mac / windows) or multiple wi-fi devices (android / ios).  Everything is working correctly.
  • hiroo said:
    I'm running PIA VPN on my DD-WRT router so that all the traffic is going over the VPN.

However, I found that this causes problems because the Google backend services behind a lot of of popular sites/apps don't work over the VPN.  This is problematic, because, as you might have heard, they run some of the most popular sites/services on the internet!

What's weird is how it is inconsistent across platforms that are all connected to the same DD-WRT router running the PIA VPN connection.

Is this happening to everybody?  It's kinda hard to live without all these critical tools working!

My testing results:

Google Maps: 
    - works: browser (Chrome on Mac), iOS app
    - doesn't work: Android app

Google Keep:
    - works: browser (Chrome on Mac)
    - doesn't work: Android app (read cloud data ok; new entered data doesn't get uploaded)
    - not tested: iOS

Google Inbox:

Google Hangouts Messaging

Google Hangouts phone or video Calling
    - works: hangouts chrome app on Mac
    - doesn't work: Android app, iOS app (tries to call but spins then times out)

Youtube:
    - doesn't work on any platform.  All can search and browse UI, but playing videos doesn't work. 

Google Play store:
    - doesn't work on android. Spins and times out unable to connect to the backend.

Google Drive:
    - Works: Mac, iOS
    - Doesn't work: Android (can't upload new files, can't access files not already cached on phone)

Google Sheets:
    - Works: Mac
    - Doesn't work: Android (can browse file list but can't open/loadanything)

Android voice recognition will accept the recording but can't upload it for processing.

Has anyone found a solution? I realized if I enable my PIA account, and tries to go into scholar.google website. I am unable to access that particular website. (any advice welcomes, Thanks)
    Google stuff working fine here on VPN.