PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

Checksum posted
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1
    I was unable to use your PIA Gui app on my system. But, I've been using pschmitt/pia-tools it seems to work well. I was wondering what you guys thought about it ?
    He has a page on Git Hub

Using Manjaro KDE (an Arch Linux fork)
    Post edited by Zenarch on
    Been hoping this would shake out, but it hasn't over the course of a month or so, so here I am.  
    The problem started with an update to Debian Jessie.  A restored backup where the app worked as expected confirmed this.  Re-updated, problem occurs.  The problem has existed for me in both version .39 and .40, with fresh installs of both.  Meanwhile, I don't have the problem using the VPN through the openvpn network manager.

Basically, the problem is that the Linux app appears to connect successfully, and stays connected but when I do a My IP search on startpage.com, and whatismyipaddress.com, my correct IP address pops right up.  It also is correctly identified on Private Internet Access's front page.  Meanwhile, just to confuse things, sites like www.whatismyip.com and www.ipchicken.com reflect the VPN address...  This obviously makes me a bit insecure.  And yes, IPv6 leak protection is checked.  

I realize that Debian changed something that the PIA app depends upon, but I don't know what and don't know how to fix it.  So if nothing else, this is an anecdotal bug report.  

• I recently installed the new client. After trying it out, I decided I preferred using nmcli to control my connection. However, I can no longer use nmcli because I keep getting "No valid VPN secrets".

First question: How can I fix that error?

Second Question: How can I completely remove the PIA client from my setup?
    @notbrodie ; martywd helped me remove it some time ago.  Worked for me...
    @pyro12 : How can I completely remove this? I would like to reinstall it from scratch...

If you are NOT comfortable with running commands in a terminal window.  THEN DON'T read further !!!

With
    that warning typed.  From my experience, the PIA installer only
    installs the Linux PIA VPN client in your $HOME directory.  So.  To
    remove all installed directories and files created by the Linux PIA
    'installer.sh' in your $HOME directory.  Run this command in a terminal
    for clues:

ls -ld .pia* pia* $HOME/.local/share/applications/pia*

Then
    still in a terminal window use the 'rm -R' command (carefully) in place
    of the 'ls -ld' command to remove directories and files you see from
    running the 'ls' command listed above.

After that.  Do the install again if you want to do a fresh install.

• Hi, I have installed the software on my newly installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Qiana. The software has installed alright, but the PIA icon does not show up in my menu task bar. I'm fairly new to Linux and just love it.
    @Scousersaurs

Have you tried typing 'private' into the search box?
    @Scousersaurs

Hopefully you did _NOT_ run 'installer_linux.sh' with the 'sudo' command?  The './installer_linux.sh' _must_ be run as a regular user and then, entering your password (if prompted) to install any dependencies that the PIA linux beta installer determines are necessary for success...

I don't use Cinnamon, preferring MATE, but just downloaded the 'linuxmint-17-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso' and imaged it to a USB flash stick, then booted into a live session of Cinnamon.  Once at the desktop I installed the v.40 PIA linux beta client.

As can be seen, the install completed without error.  And note the red PIA icon to the left of the time...

Then I entered my credentials to connect...

Connected!  So PIA v.40 Linux Beta client seems to work, at least in LM17 Cinnamon 64-bit?

You might take a look at the '~/.pia_manager/log/pia_tray.*.log' for more clues?

• Trying to install pia on ubuntu 14.04.  Followed the guidelines for ubuntu 12 and get error of missing openvpn secrets.  Chatting with pia support suggested trying the beta version of the installer.  When I try to run the script I get:
    Extracting files...
    Killed

Any help appreciated.

• Thank you so much for your help. The PIA icon did finally appear in my menu task bar after a reboot. Anyhow i tried to connect using the following instructions I received below from the excellent and friendly help from the PIA support team:

1. Click on our icon in the System Tray or Menu Bar
    2. Click on Settings
    3. Click on the Advanced button
    4. Change the remote port to 9201, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    4.1 If it didn't, try 1194, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    4.2 If it didn't, try 8080, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    5. If none of those worked, change the local port to 53, save, and reconnect. Try each of the ports again with the local port specified. See if it connects.
    6. If this does not help, please go back to the Advanced Settings
    7. Change the protocol to TCP
    8. Remove the local port, and leave it blank.
    9.Change the remote port to 80, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    9.1 If it didn't, try 110, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    9.2 If it didn't, try 443, click Save, and reconnect. See if it connects.
    10. Save and then Disconnect.
    11. Reconnect.

Anyhow back to me, I tried all the options above, and multiple times to, but I was only able to connect for about tens seconds at the most, then the PIA taskbar Icon would turn red again. I have Linux mint 17 Cinnamon (32-bit) edition installed, and I noticed from your screen shots, that you was able to connect with the 64-bit edition. So i'm going to burn the 64-bit iso and see how I get on. If that don't work then will try the 64-bit and 32-bit editions of mate.

Fingers crossed.
  • I just signed up for this service and I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. When using Network Manager, I was able to connect to any VPN server, but not browse afterwards. After installing this beta app, everything seems to be working great now. Thanks guys!
  • Ubuntu 14.04.  I uninstalled everything having to do with VPN (including the openvpn packages and the script installer_linux.sh runs and I get a green icon but my IP address does not seem to have changed.
    The problem started with an update to Debian Jessie.

Basically, the problem is that the Linux app appears to connect successfully, and stays connected but when I do a My IP search on startpage.com, and whatismyipaddress.com, my correct IP address pops right up. 

I've been updating my system almost daily and the problem has persisted, however after a dist-upgrade today, it appears to have been resolved.  All searches for my ip address produce the VPN'ed address.  

Still have no idea what change occurred to produce, and then eliminate the problem, but I figured I would check in to update my previous report.  
  • I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi (raspbian) and, as someone else mentioned, it looks like the use of "ruby" is causing an issue.  I can install this dependency fine via apt-get install ruby -- is there any way to force the installer to use this rather than trying to use its own?  Here's the error I'm getting:

./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    I'm getting the same error.

Trying to install on Ubuntu 14.04 / Cubox i-4 Pro.

Any thoughts?
    @Scousersaurs

32-bit?  Ok, downloaded the 'linuxmint-17-cinnamon-32bit-v2.iso', imaged to USB Flash drive, booted to, etc., etc., ....

Installed no issues....

Note the red PIA icon.

Enter my PIA credentials...

Connected!  Browsed to DuckDuckGo to do a search for 'What's my IP address'.  IP address corresponds to the pool of IP addresses for PIA's 'US East' gateway.  After doing an 'apt-get install whois', (whois isn't install by default any more!)  Also did a filtered w/grep 'whois' of IP: 64.237.37.117 to further validate the connect.  All looks good.

Not sure why this is working for me 'LIVE' in both 32 and 64 bit cinnamon (LM17), and not for you?
  • I also got the "GLIBC_2.14 not found" error on debian.  Standard debian is on 2.13.  I think 2.15 is experimental but I've heard it breaks a lot of things on debian.
  • I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi (raspbian) and, as someone else mentioned, it looks like the use of "ruby" is causing an issue.  I can install this dependency fine via apt-get install ruby -- is there any way to force the installer to use this rather than trying to use its own?  Here's the error I'm getting:

./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    I'm getting the same error.

Trying to install on Ubuntu 14.04 / Cubox i-4 Pro.

Any thoughts?
    Raised a ticket. Will report back if I get further along. Still stuck.
  • Hey guys. Same like issue. I've installed 64-Bit Linux Mint 17, plus the beta client as told by a really friendly support guy. My icon tries to load for a second and then goes back to red and blinks a couple of times. I have the correct credentials so I think it's something internal. Didn't know if anybody got a little farther with this issue? Thanks guys.
    Hey guys. Same like issue. I've installed 64-Bit Linux Mint 17, plus the beta client ...
    Ok, you've installed LM17 64-bit.  But, WHICH FLAVOR of LM17?  There's MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce ...

Details, details, DETAILS please!

• Hey guys. Same like issue. I've installed 64-Bit Linux Mint 17, plus the beta client ...
    Ok, you've installed LM17 64-bit.  But, WHICH FLAVOR of LM17?  There's MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce ...

I'm using the Cinnamon flavor of LM17. Sorry about that.

-frnz
    I'm always hitting the following error when I try to run it.

@feranazean said:  I'm using the Cinnamon flavor of LM17. Sorry about that.

-frnz

@Scousersaurs is/was having issues with Cinnamon too.  So I ran both Cinnamon (v2) 64-bit and 32-bit 'Live' off a bootable USB flash and posted about a few posts back if you haven't already seen them?  See here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18886#Comment_18886 ; -- and -- https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18930#Comment_18930 .

Not sure why some are having issues with LM17 Cinnamon?  BTW, "The ISO images for the Cinnamon and MATE editions of Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” were updated and labelled “v2″.  Possibly you were/are using an earlier install of of LM17.  My testing was with the 'v2' images.

@feranazean said:  I'm using the Cinnamon flavor of LM17. Sorry about that.

-frnz

@Scousersaurs is/was having issues with Cinnamon too.  So I ran both Cinnamon (v2) 64-bit and 32-bit 'Live' off a bootable USB flash and posted about a few posts back if you haven't already seen them?  See here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18886#Comment_18886 ; -- and -- https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18930#Comment_18930 .

Not sure why some are having issues with LM17 Cinnamon?  BTW, "The ISO images for the Cinnamon and MATE editions of Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” were updated and labelled “v2″.  Possibly you were/are using an earlier install of of LM17.  My testing was with the 'v2' images.

@martywd

I'm currently testing the 'v2' version of the 64-Bit and 32-Bit
    variations of LM17 with Cinnamon. My md5sum of the ISO images I've
    downloaded match the 'v2' from the Linux Mint website. In addition, my
    sha256sum result of the PIA client match that of the website. I'll
    probably just give MATE a go and see if that works since my normal
    64-Bit Ubuntu with Unity OS works well with the PIA client. I think I'm
    going to try Cinnamon one more time except with no updates. I have
    another friend who has installed successfully on LM17 and we're just
    stumped.

-fmz
  • Hi all,

I have been running this Beta PIA client in Ubuntu 12.04 and loving it!

However, I recently switched distros to Arch and am now having a heck of a time getting it to work.

Has anyone had any success installing/running this on Arch (or such?), and, if so, would they be willing to point me in the right direction? I already looked through all the responses here but mainly only saw Ubuntu and Mint questions...

Thanks!
    Janet
  • @martywd I tried the Linux mint 17 64 bit, and I also tried the mate editions but was still unable to connect. I am now connecting to PIA via the VPN PPTP Setup. The speed is not to bad, but sometimes website pages don't fully load up, I am also unable to login into my email, bank, ebay, twitter, Facebook accounts, ect, the login pages just freeze up. then disconnects. And I am using the PIA network connections nearest to me. Anyhow, I suppose it is better then nothing, well until the final version of the Linux PIA client is available. I didn't try to connect live, and even if it did work for me, I could not see the point, as I would not have access to all my files or folders on a live system.

I'm absolutely loving and enjoying Linux, And I have total control over Linux... And Linux is just so lighting fast! 

Death to greedy and untrust worthy Microsoft, and to there absolutely horrific, bloated, slow, windows 7 and 8, with it's many, many, many, back doors... Microsoft's operating systems are a paradise for NSA and the hackers...  

I wouldn't go back to Microsoft windows for all the tea in China.  

Linux forever!
  • @Scousersaurs: The forum tools seemed to be hosed so I'm not using the built-in quoting tools....
    ===========================>

Instead of PPTP you should use 'openvpn' to connect. Much more secure! See here for instructions:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#linux_ubuntu_openvpn_12_04

Obviously the instructions are for ubuntu 12.04, but for LM17 MATE at least, the procedure is close to identical.

This 'openvpn' alternative would also apply to other's having difficulties with PIA's Linux Beta Client as well... Although setup may vary a bit? Check PIA's 'Client Support' area for more info for other *nix platforms.
  • are you going to make it stable? so we can get the latest updates like windows and OS X
  • i am getting upgrade available notice on pia applet what should i do?
  • you should wait until it's available to download, you can go to the first post to check
  • Will the beta app work for a non-admin user?

I tried to run the installer as a Desktop User under Linux Mint 17 Mate 32-bit. Several times it asked for the non-admin password and complained that the user could not execute the command, some chmod and apt-get. The app comes up and shows in the tray but cannot connect. I switched over to the admin user and ran those commands that failed but that didn't work.

Can I fix this or at least uninstall my mess?