PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• @tardisonline @PIA

It's been almost a full year now since my last posts with you here. A year ago you told me PIA were 'working night and day' on producing a platform agnostic binary which would remove all the hassles experienced by the many customers in this thread. 

Any news? It seems like not much has changed. I'm still a paying customer BTW, though because AirVPN (and proxy.sh and others) have better, truly platform agnostic self-contained portable binaries - which are also FOSS - I'm primarily using Air ATM. Bring yourselves back into the game! :)
    Instruction on getting this beta to work.

Rule #1: Install OS without encryption.
    Rule #2: sudo apt-get update
    Rule #3  Download & install app exactly as per instructions

You disobey #1: Even if you get PIA started, it will never connect due to permission issues.

You disobey #2: PIA will complain about a missing file / library.
    In the event that you followed all the rules and it still complains about x library or file, then search for this in the software center, install or reinstall it.

This will avoid 99% of issues complained in all the posts.
    PIA software is certified for Ubuntu-based distros and all distros the description says it's compatible with.

Good Luck.
    "Hated Linux Mint 16 and under, met the love of his life Linux Mint 17.1 x64 Mate"
    "Ubuntu, excellent base, unstable window manager(unity)"
    "Linux Mint 17.1 Mate, most responsive linux distro ever encountered, least buggy window manager, perfection on top of excellence."
    "Any distro now looking to capture my interest must Mate with me"

• Instruction on getting this beta to work.

You disobey #1: Even if you get PIA started, it will never connect due to permission issues.

In the event that you followed all the rules and it still complains about x library or file, then search for this in the software center, install or reinstall it.

PIA software is certified for Ubuntu-based distros and all distros the description says it's compatible with.

Good Luck.
    "Hated Linux Mint 16 and under, met the love of his life Linux Mint 17.1 x64 Mate"
    "Linux Mint 17.1 Mate, most responsive linux distro ever encountered, least buggy window manager, perfection on top of excellence."

Rule #1 ought to be don't run the script as root or sudo because it'll install but never work haha. It doesn't work on all *buntu distros either as it's broken under LXDE and some KDE implementations (eg Lubuntu). 

It ought to be platform agnostic by now, even if delivered optionally as a portable folder of binaries as with other VPN companies. 
  • Nudge, nudge @pia @tardisonline ;)

• edited March 2015 Posts: 6
    I'm having some issues I'm assuming are with the app, but I'm not sure how to diagnose them further and was hoping someone could help out.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and I installed the latest version of the PIA app when I reinstalled the OS a few months ago. I do not use the kill switch or port forwarding and IPv6 is disabled. Everything was functioning correctly and I don't recall making any system changes other then updates.

I'm not sure if these happened simultaneously or not. The first issue is that I can no longer print on the network without first disconnecting from PIA. With the app disconnected I can reach the printer on the local network with no problems. My second issue is that I have no internet when the app is disconnected. So, if I want to see a site with the IP my ISP has assigned, I have to start a virtual machine to see it. This appears to be caused by a DNS failure. When the app is connected, I am using PIA DNS servers. When the app is disconnected, I cannot access any DNS. I have tried manually adding 8.8.8.8 as an additional DNS server to my connection, but it does nothing.

Any ideas?
    Post edited by 7kH5VVq3MWYk on
  • VPNVPN
    PIA Manager may interfere with other network managing interfaces like NetworkManager. Have you tried contacting PIA support?

Anyways, please post your routing tables. We'll need the tables directly after boot with PIA disconnected but printer and internet/DNS working, then after PIA connection, then after PIA disconnection when your problems appear. Bonus if you post the OpenVPN logfile, the different /etc/resolv.conf entries for each of the above situations, and tell us what other software changes network settings on your system :)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 6
    I may not have been clear on one point. A reboot does nothing for the situation. I normally load the PIA app on boot and have it set to connect automatically. If I don't do this, I won't have internet access until it connects.

Here are my routing tables and /etc/resolv.conf with PIA app connected.
    david@david-G75VW:~$ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination        

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    david@david-G75VW:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (actual IP hidden as it traces to my employer)
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Running these tests today, I see most of my problems have been resolved. When I went to paste the results with the app disconnected, they are exactly the same as above and my internet works. Before I would see the /etc/resolv.conf file had no name servers listed. The only problem left is I still can't access my printer without disconnecting the app.

The only thing that makes sense is last night I did use the kill switch although I normally don't and I believe turning it on and back off fixed the problem. I guess the only question I have left is should my routing tables be blank like this?
    Post edited by 7kH5VVq3MWYk on
  • VPNVPN
    Those are netfilter (firewall) tables. Routing tables appear after "ip route show" or "route -n".

Nameserver IPs are relevant because routing can affect DNS resolution if nameservers are not on a local subnet. You don't need to disclose your nameserver IPs, but check if part of their address appears in the routing tables and let us know.
    If you aren't sure, anonymize by replacing the 4 parts of the IP address with individual letters and use the same letters when anonymizing the routing table.

Accessing your printer may depend on routing if it isn't on a local network. If you know your printer's IP address, compare it to the routing table entries, or post it anonymized :)

The kill switch, at least on Windows, makes the network interface not have an IP address if the VPN connection dies, which would block all network access. It might work the same on Linux.
  • @StephenA You at least seem active on the forum at present. Can you comment on my posts above regarding a platform agnostic Linux client? PIA inboxed me to say they were working 'night and day' on producing one... a year ago. Still waiting and could really use one!

PIA raking in subscription money but leaving customers constantly ignored and telling them to support each other on the forum when they contact support is absolutely shocking behaviour. I don't know how you guys are still in business with a model like that! Not a dig at you personally, as I see you at least are active on here. It's more a general comment based on ongoing past experiences with PIA.
    I am trying to install the linux app on kodibuntu. I get the following error message:

Couldn't load file:/home/abc/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Can anyone help me with this error message?
    I've recently stumbled upon this bug in Debian Jessie as well.  Nothing I've tried from this thread has helped.  I've previously been able to install this version into Jessie with no problems, but clearly something I can't identify has changed in Jessie, and your distro it appears, that is incompatible with the installer.  
  • VPNVPN
    libgstapp looks like it belongs to gstreamer. See if you can find a gstreamer package for your distribution that contains this library and install it.
    libgstapp looks like it belongs to gstreamer. See if you can find a gstreamer package for your distribution that contains this library and install it.
    I installed libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 and PIA installed! Many thanks for your help VPN.
    Hello, im a UBUNTU 14.01 LST user, The manual PIA VPN configuration works fine.
    Next to the manual PIA VPN configurations i installed the PIA AP for linux.
    Installation worked fine and the app dialig works fine, butt it is not able to connect to anny of the PIA VPN terminators. The icon flashes red/green for a few seconds than stays red. The manual configured VPN'S still work.

@Ubear

Assuming you are NOT using drive encryption, my suggestion:

remove openvpn and the PIA app.

Then reinstall the PIA app and let it install openvpn.

I've used the app on all sorts of Ubuntu installs...
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 7
    Is there any way that you can get it to work while using drive encryption on mint 17.1?

I'm not really in favor re-installing OS, and I'd be fine with a tutorial for even a manual config if there are no plans to have the app support OS w/encryption.

EDIT: Figured out manual setup, it's fairly easy, so scratch that second part.
    Post edited by OvaltineJenkins on
  • Instruction on getting this beta to work.

Good Luck.

I'm running Ubunutu 14.04 with a 240gig SSD boot/application drive which is encrypted with crypt-luks and the PIA beta is working well. So Step 1 does not appear to be correct.
  • I am running Kubuntu 14.10. I do not get a tray icon (or anything for that matter) when I try to launch the client.
    Any possibility that someone has already done the limited finger-work needed to add this to the AUR?  If not I will look at the few necessary changes the install.sh needs to query packer instead of apt
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1
    FYI on Ubuntu 15.04 a change was made in libgnutls deb 28. GNUTLS_1_4 cannot be found. Would it be possible to do a new release?
    Post edited by vpnsubscriber on
  • Any possibility that someone has already done the limited finger-work needed to add this to the AUR?  If not I will look at the few necessary changes the install.sh needs to query packer instead of apt
    The AUR only has pia-launch and pia-tools which are scripts only. If you can tweak the script to install the required libraries and put it in the AUR I know a lot of people would thank you for it, myself included. I've moved over primarily to Fedora of late, as my Arch install borked and I didn't have time to fix it. Fedora is the mix of newer packages and stability I was looking for (Debian Jessie's nm-applet is badly broken), but unfortunately PIA only focus on (older versionf of) Ubuntu.
    Is there any way to get this working on Lubuntu? I keep on getting the error ./installer_linux/run.rb:71:in `binwrite': Is a directory - /home/actual/.local/share/applications/pia_manager.desktop (Errno::EISDIR)

• edited April 2015 Posts: 9
    Ok, after upgrading to Xubuntu 15.04 on my Laptop with this beta client I was thrown a couple of errors. The first was a missing libgcrypt11 error. As I understood this client relied on 11 and 15.04 had upgraded to libgcrypt20. So after a bit(a lot) of searching, reading unrelated things I found this thread and then later this page: http://www.webupd8.org/2015/04/fix-missing-libgcrypt11-causing-spotify.html

Downloading the 64 bit deb enabled me to bypass that first error but I was shown another involving libgnutls26. Couldn't find that on Webupd8.org so I looked at the official Ubuntu site and found it here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/amd64/libgnutls26/download ;

This let me start the client as per usual and get on with using PIA. Hope this helps some others. Seems like a simple thing for the PIA team to do an update for also. Good luck all.

Post edited by fancyletterbox on
    This let me start the client as per usual and get on with using PIA. Hope this helps some others. Seems like a simple thing for the PIA team to do an update for also. Good luck all.

Thank you fancyletterbox! Now PIA autostart on my 15.04, following your instructions.

Linux Mint 16 “Petra” MATE RC (64-bit) now install on one of my laptop's partitions.  'PIA VPN App - Linux Beta' installed as well with no issues and works.  Well 'works' when NetworkManager is working.  Needless to say this lm16 RC is still a bit buggy at the moment.

Linux Mint 17.1 32-Bit PIA VPN Beta is working. I installed as per above instructions.

Linux Mint 16 “Petra” MATE RC (64-bit) now install on one of my laptop's partitions.  'PIA VPN App - Linux Beta' installed as well with no issues and works.  Well 'works' when NetworkManager is working.  Needless to say this lm16 RC is still a bit buggy at the moment.

Linux Mint 17.1 32-Bit PIA VPN Beta is working. I installed as per above instructions.

@toghow
    You're quoting one of my posts from way back in November 2013 !  Yup, I've moved on since then.  ;-)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4
    I am running Kubuntu 14.10. I do not get a tray icon (or anything for that matter) when I try to launch the client.
    Same here on Kubuntu 15.04, was getting the errors but previous @fancyletterbox post has stopped this. Looks like it runs then nothing happens, I'm guessing it's conflicting with something KDE? Just installed this no probs on a Linux Lite OS, working flawless. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by gunfod on
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1
    Just made an account because i have been trying to solve that problem when upgrading to ubuntu 15.0.4  Thanks to @fancyletterbot i have fixed it

How to fix 'libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file' 
    Click one of the orange results on this page. 

hopefully google starts indexing this.
    Post edited by jpmi1 on
    For anyone on Kubuntu 15.04x64 where you have applied the @fancyletterbox fix and the launcher doesn't show I may have a fix.

Checked the launcher and it was coming up with this error:

/.pia_mana
    ger/pia_tray.64/modules/ui/1.3.2-beta/libtideui.so): libgnome-keyring.so.0: cannot open
    shared object file: No such file or directory

Installed the file from here:

Application now launched and I now have the icon in the task bar.

Hope this helps someone.

(on further trial)

Mmmmmm keeps connecting and disconnecting, will investigate further.

Post edited by gunfod on

If you are NOT comfortable with running commands in a terminal window.  THEN DON'T read further !!!

With that warning typed.  From my experience, the PIA installer only installs the Linux PIA VPN client in your $HOME directory.  So.  To remove all installed directories and files created by the Linux PIA 'installer.sh' in your $HOME directory.  Run this command in a terminal for clues:

ls -ld .pia* pia* $HOME/.local/share/applications/pia*

Then still in a terminal window use the 'rm -R' command (carefully) in place of the 'ls -ld' command to remove directories and files you see from running the 'ls' command listed above.

After that.  Do the install again if you want to do a fresh install.

As in my previous post above this seems to have now sorted it. A full un-install and re-install and now its stable and I have a little green man on the taskbar. Finally!
    Post edited by gunfod on