PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

Where is list of servers stored and can I shorten it? I don't need most countries.
  • I've tried the @fancyletterbox fix and @gunfod 's fix and the icon launches in the taskbar but still keeps connecting and disconnecting -__- any more ideas for a fix?
  • I don't have a lot of faith that this will help solve ppl with Kubuntu having connection problems but it's possibly worth a try. The fix that always worked for me when PIA disconnects and reconnects over and over again is to completely remove PIA, reinstall and manually enter your usernumber/username and password in the fields again. To do this in Linux you would need to remove the ~/.config/autostart and ~/.local/share/applications PIA entries.
    As long as you're doing what @fancyletterbox suggests, also remove openvpn

sudo apt-get remove openvpn

It will get reinstalled automatically along with the PIA app.
  • I did the above and chatted with a PIA rep, neither of which worked :( looks like I'm going to be switching providers until the app is updated :/ 
    One last suggestion, @chiefshittingbull:

Create a new user account and install the PIA app from that account (unencrypted)...

Worth a shot...
    When I install "PIA VPN - Linux Beta" in "Linux Mint LMDE 2" I keep getting this error preventing the app to start:

Couldn't load file:/home/"username"/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please :)
    Maxfli:

You need to install libcrypt11 from an older linux release... go here:

download that .deb and install it, that will fix your libtide/libcrypt error
    Hi broken666

Thank you :)
    That fixed the libtide/libcrypt error.

Then I got the same error with another file: libgnutls.so.26
    And installed this .deb:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/amd64/libgnutls26/download

Now its working :)

I've tried the @fancyletterbox fix and @gunfod 's fix and the icon launches in the taskbar but still keeps connecting and disconnecting -__- any more ideas for a fix?
    @chiefshittingbull Have you tried the complete un-install of the app then re-install? I was having the same issues after I installed all the workarounds.
    debian jessie just installed. After installing the PIA  beta ( all dependencies went ok ) when I execute it I get a TideSDK error.  I already had had libgcrypt2 installed, tried installing  11, no joy.  Do I need to uninstall both and then the 11dev version or ??

"Couldn't load file:/home/peter/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I was having problems with the vpn disconnecting from the internet about once a day using the installation that's documented here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ubuntu_openvpn_installer

PIA tech support suggested I use this beta VPN app. So far it seems to work ok on Linux Mint 17.1 cinnamon and haven't had any internet disconnections so far. Now my issue is cosmetic, but it's sort of driving me nuts. The system tray icon adds an extra spacer to the right or left of the PIA icon. I can't seem to get rid of it. It also attaches itself to the system software update icon, so when dragging the PIA icon, the system software update icon gets dragged also. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!
    [quote]The system tray icon adds an extra spacer to the right or left of the PIA icon. I can't seem to get rid of it.[/quote]

Yes!  Me too!  It has never happened until I did a fresh install of Mint 17.1 LTS (cinnamon). 

I would like it to go away, but honestly, I've gotten used to it.
  • @Maxfli

Thank you. This solved my problem on Ubuntu 15.04
    Hi broken666

Thank you :)
    That fixed the libtide/libcrypt error.

Then I got the same error with another file: libgnutls.so.26
    And installed this .deb:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/amd64/libgnutls26/download

Now its working :)

• ntuntu
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1
    Oh boy, redacted... such fails.
    Post edited by ntu on
    I just tried it with Xubuntu 15.04 (64-bit), but even though i got the success install message in Terminal, a window popped up with the following message:

Couldn't load file:/home/whjones/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error:libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That is correct, in that I have libgcrypt.so.20 and libgcrypt.so.20.0.2.  I guess I'll have to wait for an updated version, or just use Mac OS X.
    I just tried it with Xubuntu 15.04 (64-bit), but even though i got the success install message in Terminal, a window popped up with the following message:

Couldn't load file:/home/whjones/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error:libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That is correct, in that I have libgcrypt.so.20 and libgcrypt.so.20.0.2.  I guess I'll have to wait for an updated version, or just use Mac OS X.

The consequences of going with a bleeding edge version of ubuntu, I suspect?  I.e., NO 'libgcrypt11' package available for 'vivid'.

You might try downloading/installing the available utopic 'libgcrypt11' package(s).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/libgcrypt11

Maybe that would get the PIA Beta working for you?  No guarantee’s come with this suggestion, of course!

• edited June 2015 Posts: 4
    Not sure what's going on but this doesn't do anything anymore except for delete pretty much everything from my install. It was working just a few days ago. I'm trying to get it running on Debian Jessie but it keeps wiping my system. Have to reinstall all DEs and fix dependencies, etc., etc.. Can't recommend trying this on the latest Debian release.

Anyone experience this and figure out what's going on?

EDIT: OK. Just reinstalling Jessie at this point.
    Post edited by centauribeing on
    Will this app work in Fedora 22?  it does not use apt-get, it uses dnf (yum) so the scripts wont work.
  • Um...forgive my squirrely ignorance, but isn't there already a linux app, like for ubuntu? o.O?
  • Also you can just set openvpn up manually ya? so what's the big deal? :(
    I am running Debian Jessie 8.1. Every time I run linux_install.sh, it first ask for the sudo password, then proceed to remove all sorts of KDE services that I am no longer able to log in to the machine.  Why are you scripting to remove KDE related services and programs?  This is the third time I tried and it happened all three times.

When Debian Wheezy was running I could download the installer for ubuntu and everything went fine without destroying my  OS

What is up PIA? I really like the convenience and extra encryption and reliability provied by PIA program. It works like charm on Linux Mint KDE ed. Why not on Debian Jessie?
  • I tried installing on a windows box one time (Windows 7 Home Premium) and it DESTROYED the networking configuration >_< not enough testing/development on those scripts I guess?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 73
    I am running Debian Jessie 8.1. Every time I run linux_install.sh, it first ask for the sudo password, then proceed to remove all sorts of KDE services that I am no longer able to log in to the machine.  Why are you scripting to remove KDE related services and programs?  This is the third time I tried and it happened all three times.

When Debian Wheezy was running I could download the installer for ubuntu and everything went fine without destroying my  OS

What is up PIA? I really like the convenience and extra encryption and reliability provied by PIA program. It works like charm on Linux Mint KDE ed. Why not on Debian Jessie?
    Hey txykumut,

The "PIA VPN App - Linux Beta" is well still just beta.  Other then giving it a whirl and reporting to them what is broken and what works.  I would not expect it to work perfectly.

OpenVPN has been working on their software since May 13, 2001; 14 years ago. - source

Current stable release is OpenVPN 2.3.7 -- released on 2015.06.08

At the moment and until you see your specific Linux distribution listed on the official support page I personally would suggest OpenVPN with the PIA opvn setup configuration files.  This setup seems to work great!

I have instructions here... "OpenVPN Step-by-Step Setups for various Debian based Linux OSs"

PIA's OpenVPN Configuration Files
    ============================================= My 2 cents anyway

Enjoy!
    Post edited by WinstonSmith on
  • > purrrfectgurl > I tried installing on a windows box one time (Windows 7 Home Premium) and it DESTROYED the networking configuration >_< not enough testing/development on those scripts I guess?

Sometimes in order to make something secure you have to tear it down first and rebuild it how you want it. Windows networking tends to be a bit too clever at bypassing problems and in it's eagerness to help it can bypass VPN setting and expose your DNS or possibly your IP. If you're still having problems with Windows clashing with VPN settings then I'm sure some of us can help, if you make a topic.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 39
    Deleted
    Post edited by purplepizza on
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 45

QUOTES :

Not sure what's going on but this doesn't do anything anymore except for delete pretty much everything from my install. It was working just a few days ago. I'm trying to get it running on Debian Jessie but it keeps wiping my system. Have to reinstall all DEs and fix dependencies, etc., etc.. Can't recommend trying this on the latest Debian release.
    Anyone experience this and figure out what's going on?
    EDIT: OK. Just reinstalling Jessie at this point.

I am running Debian Jessie 8.1. Every time I run linux_install.sh, it first ask for the sudo password, then proceed to remove all sorts of KDE services that I am no longer able to log in to the machine.  Why are you scripting to remove KDE related services and programs?  This is the third time I tried and it happened all three times.
    When Debian Wheezy was running I could download the installer for ubuntu and everything went fine without destroying my  OS

I have experienced the same problems with a lot of deletions making my system unusable.
    From the release notes :

The installer will attempt to apt-get install 4 dependencies: libjpeg62, libxss1, libappindicator1, libgail18
    The problem seems to be with libjpeg62  .
    If I simulate apt install :

apt-get install -s libjpeg62
    this is the result  :

The following NEW packages will be installed:
      esound-common foomatic-filters libaudiofile1 libesd0 libjpeg62
    0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 281 to remove and 19 not upgraded.

libjpeg62 has been replaced by libjpeg62-turbo so the script needs attention and updating.
    Post edited by pjnsmb on
    I have put in a support ticket to try and get some attention to this problem asap
  • I have put in a support ticket to try and get some attention to this problem asap
    Hey pjnsmb,

It is good that you let them know that it is broken for Debian.  However the
    "PIA VPN App - Linux Beta" is well still just beta.  I would
    not expect it to work perfectly.

OpenVPN has been working on their software since May 13, 2001; 14 years ago. - source

Current stable release is OpenVPN 2.3.8 -- released on 4 August 2015 (27 days ago)

At the moment and until you see your specific Linux distribution listed on the official support page I personally would suggest OpenVPN with the PIA opvn setup configuration files.  This setup seems to work great!

I have instructions here... "OpenVPN Step-by-Step Setups for various Debian based Linux OSs"

PIA's OpenVPN Configuration Files
    ============================================= My 2 cents anyway

Enjoy!
  • Anyone got this thing to run on Debian 8.2?  I have installed it with no problems on Ubuntu and Mint, but have all kinds of problems on Debian.