PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1
    It's still problem here - Debian 8.2

I tried everything what was commented above except the risky installations. I don't think so that we must to install and reconfigure softwares additionally in a working system just because a small app doesn't complete. That would be a great help for many people if a probably compatible distribution list would be on the front page of this discussion.
    I wait for that version which doesn't require to reconfigure the os so much.
    Post edited by andrewlucky on
  • Col_Sera said:
    broken666 said:
    Maxfli:

You need to install libcrypt11 from an older linux release... go here:

download that .deb and install it, that will fix your libtide/libcrypt error
    Thank you so much, I was getting gray hairs trying to make this work on Ubuntu 15.10 and downloading libgcrypt11 from you link aswell as libgnutls26 from http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libgnutls26 made this work! I downloaded them and opened them with Ubuntu Software Center and installed them. The app works now :D.

I feel pretty dumb after having spent days trying to figure it out and I just wanted to give some help to anyone trying to install this on 15.10 ubuntu.
    If that version of libgnutls26 doesn't work for you, try the 12.04 one http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgnutls26 This may or may not work with other Ubuntu versions, I suggest you give it a try though.
    I just tried this on Debian 8.2 with gnome, cinnamon and kdm(kde) installed and it worked 
    After having lots of issues getting it to work in Kubuntu 15.10, I decided to install Mint 17.3.

The installation/ application works great on Mint. However, a few things. The list of servers is too long for the screen I can't select anything from the top and the only way to disconnect seems to be to kill the application completely also the strange gap in the bottom bar when the applet is loaded. Also clicking "more" nothing shows just the list disappears.

Hoping it will be fixed in an update, but until then, is there a way to remove servers I don't use to shrink the list down?

Cheers. rEEzA
    @reeza I get an arrow at the top of the list to hover over to make it scroll.  I can also use my scroll wheel.

The gap is annoying - I agree.
    @pyro12 Hmm, I don't get the arrow at the top and unfortunately the mouse scroll doesn't do anything. The list also times out/ disapears quickly.

I wonder if its a Mint / cinnamon problem? Or are you using Mint?

Cheers for the feedback.
    @reeze ; yep.  Mint 17.2 LTS with Cinnamon.

I'd be happy to show you a screenshot if you'll teach me how to take a screenshot while the focus is on that menu...

I agree that the ideal solution for you is to edit the list of servers, but I think that might be stored remotely...

Less convenient, but it is possible to change the servers under settings/advanced.  Better than nothing.

I also just noticed that the arrow keys on my keyboard allow me to scroll the menu.

Have you tried increasing the resolution on your monitor to see if it works, even temporarily?
  • Only fix I have found is to lower the DPI.   That will let you see the full menu
    No clue why on other linux distributions it doesn't work?
    Anyway how can I completely remove the PIA app to attemp a new clean install?
    @Aswerd

ls -ld .pia* pia* $HOME/.local/share/applications/pia*
    rm -R .pia* pia* $HOME/.local/share/applications/pia*

and reboot to return all the network manager stuff to defaults.

At your own risk, of course 
    :-h

Thanks for all the tips guys, got me in the right direction and I really appreciate it.

I can now see the full menu by changing the text scaling factor to 0.8 under "Fonts" - However I now need glasses to read anything ;)

Now I just wish I could see the list a decide on the server before it disappears on me so quickly. I have to race to select the server I want.

Still no mouse or keyboard scroll, but its now much better I can now click disconnect instead off having to close the app completely.

I really hope they keep developing it, especially since PIA are financial supporters of Linux Mint an all.
    @pyro12 thanks it worked fine.

Anyway the PIA icon after a new reinstall keeps trying to connect without success.
    @Aswerd

This will happen if your home drive is encrypted (not the only reason - but a common one).

If this is the case, you need to move the installation directory and create a symlink.

@minzoner explains how here:  https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/comment/35853/#Comment_35853
  • Glad to see this is coming along!

This (mostly) works great on a fresh install ubuntu 15.04. The only thing that prevents me from using it is I cannot gain access to my machine from my local network.

With the normal vpn script, I can still hit my ubuntu machine from LAN machines, with the app running I cannot. Has anyone found a way around this?

On a different note, maybe an empty github repo would be good to keep track of issues on this? Reading this thread is a difficult way to figure out what issues are known, outstanding, and resolved.
    @kaladin_storm

My LAN is not accessible when I first enable the kill switch.  The, surprisingly incovenient, workaround is to disable the killswitch, access the LAN, and then enable the killswitch.  You need to do this every time you switch servers or reconnect for any reason.

This is just the killswitch being a bit overzealous in its protection, but I'd rather have that than a rogue connection slipping through!

YMMV, but I hope that helps...
  • Does anyone have a copy of the linux installer pre-V.55? I'd like to backlevel my app but cannot find an old copy.

Thanks.

W
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 28
    I installed the Linux beta app today on two different computers, each with a different Linux operating system:

1) Linux Mint Debian (LMDE 2) Betsy (Debian version)
    2) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Ubuntu version)

The good news is I was able to connect to a VPN server in both cases without any issues, but like another person mentioned, the icon menu is messed up.  If I attempt to scroll up to reach "Disconnect", the menu closes before I get there.  If I click on "More", the menu screen also closes. I have to right click on the icon and select "exit" to disconnect. But then I have to reboot the laptop to reconnect (I can't find where to restart the program without rebooting). Hopefully this will all be fixed soon in the final release of the software.
    Post edited by pjc123 on
    @pyro12 my hard drive is not encrypted D:
    So the issue of not being able to connect must be somewhere else.
    @pjc123

On Mint w/ Cinnamon, you can find the program under "other."
    pyro12 said:

@pjc123

On Mint w/ Cinnamon, you can find the program under "other."

Thanks. Will check it out next time.
  • Just Install Ubuntu 15.10 server, and LXDE and trying to install client.  Getting this error which I cold not find in the forum. Any help would be appreciated:

Couldn't load file:/home/xxx/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libenchant.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    mjn1210 said:
    Just Install Ubuntu 15.10 server, and LXDE and trying to install client.  Getting this error which I cold not find in the forum. Any help would be appreciated:

Couldn't load file:/home/xxx/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libenchant.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    It looks like 'libtide.so' is looking for 'libenchant.so.1' ?  You could try going to:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Do a search for file name: 'libenchant.so.1' under the section titled: 'Search the contents of packages' to identify which .deb package contains that file.  Once you figure that out... install package and try running the Linux PIA Client installer again.

• wwwwww
    Hola a todos. 
    Esta es la forma que yo he instalado PIA Linux sobre Ubuntu 15.10. 
    1. Bajamos e instalamos estas librerías: 
      1. http://launchpadlibrarian.net/176785194/libgnutls26_2.12.23-15ubuntu2_amd64.deb
      2. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/7110687/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
    2. Bajamos el programa PIA Linux: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_linux
    3. Instalamos tal cual nos dice el post:
      1. Extract file:
        tar -xvf installer_linux.tar.gz 
      2. Tell OS to proceed:
        chmod +x installer_linux.sh
      3. Run installer: 
        ./installer_linux.sh
    He probado y funciona al 100% inclusive, es más rápido que la app en Windows
    También comprobé que el problema con DNS Leaks se resuelve instalando la app de PIA activando la opción "IPv6 Leak Protection"
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 17
    www said:
    Hola a todos. 
    Esta es la forma que yo he instalado PIA Linux sobre Ubuntu 15.10. 
    1. Bajamos e instalamos estas librerías: 
      1. http://launchpadlibrarian.net/176785194/libgnutls26_2.12.23-15ubuntu2_amd64.deb
      2. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/7110687/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
    2. Bajamos el programa PIA Linux: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_linux
    3. Instalamos tal cual nos dice el post:
      1. Extract file:
        tar -xvf installer_linux.tar.gz 
      2. Tell OS to proceed:
        chmod +x installer_linux.sh
      3. Run installer: 
        ./installer_linux.sh
    He probado y funciona al 100% inclusive, es más rápido que la app en Windows
    También comprobé que el problema con DNS Leaks se resuelve instalando la app de PIA activando la opción "IPv6 Leak Protection"
    For Ubuntu 15.10 I also had to do an additional step 4:

4.  'dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf'  --or-- 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf'

without doing this I found that the PIA app wouldn't restore my DNS settings after exiting the VPN client.

credit: martywd (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/comment/10121/#Comment_10121)

Also, if you're using an encrypted home directory, you'll need to do this before step 3:

2b. If you have an encrypted home folder:
    $ mkdir /opt/pia_manager
    $ ln -s /opt/pia_manager ~/.pia_manager

credit: blahwhat (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/comment/21891/#Comment_21891)
    Post edited by deathhilarious on
    Fresh Install of Debian Jessie
    (debian-8.2.0-amd64-lxde-CD-1.iso)

After running ./installer_linux.sh
    sudo complained that I was not in the sudoers file.

So I added myself to sudoers

again ran ./installer_linux.sh
    Program installation was successful but pia app did not open because of package error messages for libgcrypt11, libgnutls26 and libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

Searched Debian for package info and location, found them in wheezy main

As root I opened the file /etc/apt/sources.list
    and added 'wheezy main'

(Note the Australian country code in my example)
    (Change the .au. to match your country code)

# wheezy example
    deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
    deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

Opened Synaptic Package Manager
    Clicked on the reload Reload button to update repositories

Used Synaptic Package Manager to install
    libgcrypt11
    libgnutls26
    libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

Used Synaptic Package Manager to lock versions of
    libgcrypt11
    libgnutls26
    libtasn1-3

From the command line in terminal I ran
    bash pia.sh

PIA app running as expected

I then removed 'wheezy main' from sources list
    Clicked on the reload Reload button to update repositories

Rebooted computer
    PIA app running as expected

Hope this helps others
  • "Couldn't load file:/htpc1/.local/share/applications.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Cant get app to work, libgcrypt 

VPN in KDE doesnt remember password either

:(
    I'm using Xubuntu 15.10.  I did a clean install about a week ago and tried running the PIA linux script to install... but I got the common error: "Couldn't load file:xxxxxxxxx/applications.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so..."

I found a message in this thread that I needed to install resolve, which I did. But it didn't help.

Do I really have to force an old version install of:
     libgcrypt11
    libgnutls26
    libtasn1-3
    Xubuntu's software complains and will not install these old version... and it seems to me that doing this would mess up some other networking related events...
    TinV2B said:
    Do I really have to force an old version install of:
     libgcrypt11
    libgnutls26
    libtasn1-3
    Xubuntu's software complains and will not install these old version... and it seems to me that doing this would mess up some other networking related events...
    Yes (at least until the app developer updates PIA app)
    If you the lock versions (pin) you shouldn't have a problem

I have a spare partition that I can install Xubuntu just as a test
    I'm confused about the process of installing these older versions.  For instance, when I try to uninstall libcrypt20 there are 442 packages that will be uninstalled with it... and two of these are ESSENTIAL to run xubuntu 15.10... and there is no way to install the older version  (libcrypt11) without uninstalling the current version first. So how have other's done this?
    I need help. :(

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 with Gnome-Shell window manager.  I installed this PIA app and it worked great for 2 days (using the kill switch). Today I went to disable the kill switch and close the app, but my network is still offline unless I have PIA running and connected. This is quite annoying as I have many services running on this PC that do not forward to the outside network correct while PIA is running. re-enabling, and disabling again, rebooting my machine, etc..  Everything ends up with the same result. Kill Switch is disabled, but still no network when PIA is off or completely closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    TinV2B said:
    I'm confused about the process of installing these older versions.  For instance, when I try to uninstall libcrypt20 there are 442 packages that will be uninstalled with it... and two of these are ESSENTIAL to run xubuntu 15.10... and there is no way to install the older version  (libcrypt11) without uninstalling the current version first. So how have other's done this?
    You don't need to un-install 'libgcrypt20'!

Just install the 'libgcrypt11' .deb (trusty).  'libgcrypt11' will co-exist with wily's 'libgcrypt20' package.

If you haven't done so already you will also need to install 'libgnutls26' .deb (trusty) and probably the 'libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0' (wily) which comes with 15.10 and can be installed via 15.10's package manager.