PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• Hi all,

I just installed the VPN app using the link in the first post. I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 and when I hover over the applet, I do not see the IP address or port that is being forwarded. Is there a fix for this?
  • No fix yet, but in Font settings you can change the DPI to show it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 6
    I can't get the instructions here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/20093/using-stock-openvpn-with-strong-encryption-settings to work for better encryption.
    Online support has no idea (!?)
    The exact instructions call for setting to UDP but that option doesn't exist with my situation and leads me to believe this is the problem? Can anyone help me with this?
    kubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Post edited by p7576721 on
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 3
    This post has been removed due to violating our Terms of Service. 

And the direct link to our updated ToS here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/home/termsofservice
    Post edited by Goldstein on
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem as others here with Linux Mint 17.3.

I have three computers running Linux Mint. One remains on 17.2, and the VPN app works fine. On the other two computers running 17.3, as soon as I applied the most recent PIA linux client update (v.53):
    - I could not see the full list of servers
    - The pop-up times out and disappears after a few seconds.

The result is I cannot switch servers or even turn the VPN on or off without a reboot of the whole computer, and even this is difficult to do.

Does PIA know about this problem? Is a fix being worked on? Is there a  workaround (other than micro-sizing my system fonts)? And won't doing a manual setup of OpenVPN, instead of using the beta linux client, end up using the same app resulting in the same problems?
    Post edited by gregconquest on
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 3
    Been using the Beta app without issues for a while. As of this morning, something has broken. Now I can only get internet connectivity if I connect through the PIA beta app. if I disconnect PIA or close it all together, no internet. If I try connecting to PIA through the native Mint VPN software, it won't connect. I have tried un-installing PIA beta - again no internet. Reinstalled PIA beta, and again I can only get internet if I go through the PIA beta app. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I'm on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit.
    Post edited by joeschmoe on
  • Regarding Linux Mint 17.3: If you selected a default server and told it to show the port you're connected to, both will be displayed at the very top of the list. Try moving the panel to the top of the screen to see the "Connect" entry and the IP/port.

But then you won't be able to see the "Settings" entry, unless you move your panel back to the bottom of the screen again. Unfortunately, there is no way to scroll through the list. 

It looks like this Linux beta app works fine with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS-based distros (including Linux Mint 17.3, Zorin OS 9, and others) without having to go into the archives and install older versions of libraries (which isn't the best idea, since there won't be any security updates for them). 

What with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS just around the corner, I hope the PIA developers will come out with a new version of the app that works with it.

(Also, and I know this isn't the right forum for it, but why does the Windows VPN app create 8.6 GB folders with names like "ocr3EAC.tmp" in Windows 7's temp directory every time it starts? And then it doesn't delete them, it just creates new ones the next time? Man, that'll eat up some disk space after a while, if you don't routinely clean up your temp files.)
  • Thank you guys! App works superbly.
    Using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit with no problems at all. Kill Switch, ipv6 leak, startup etc- everything works fine. 
    I first tried the app with Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 and it was just a big pile of errors. Don't know if they work now.
  • It doesn't work with Fedora 23, which doesn't understand "apt-get" command.
  • Just installed .56 onto Mint 17.3 and the display bug still occurs.  Only work around is to change the font .dpi
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1
    minzoner said:
    Hi guys

If you are having an issue with PIA not connecting and have encrypted home folder enabled. The fix is as follows.

I didnt come up with the idea but the post i found was very vauge for a new user.

Please change what i have highlighted BOLD in the code to your username for the pc

Step 1. Create a folder outside of the home directory that your user account can write to.

In Terminal

cd /

sudo mkdir pia

sudo chown yourusername:yourusername pia

Step 2. Move the PIA files to new directory

sudo mv /home/yourusername/.pia_manager /pia/.pia_manager

Step 3. Create symbolic link between the new and old folder.

ln -s /pia/.pia_manager /home/yourusername/.pia_manager

Now reboot and pia should connect :)

Hope this helped.

________
    Stopped working after upgrade to the latest version .56. I followed the instructions to no avail. I'm on LM 17.3
    Post edited by trebbiano on
    v56 , and at least the previous version works great with ubuntu 15.10 , I think the installer deserves a more prominent place at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/
    correction , on a less used ubuntu 15.10 installation (more like a stock installation) - I get the well known "error: libgcrypt.so.11"  , so is there an official solution to that ?
  • I too have received the "error: libgcrypt.so.11" after having installed the beta on Ubuntu 15.10.  I'd like to find out, as well, if there is an official solution to the problem.
  • wwwwww
    edited February 2016 Posts: 6
    pdm502 said:
    I too have received the "error: libgcrypt.so.11" after having installed the beta on Ubuntu 15.10.  I'd like to find out, as well, if there is an official solution to the problem.
    Try here for libgrypt.so.11: 

PIA Linux Beta tested in Lubuntu and Ubuntu 15.10, working fine. 
    Post edited by www on
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 5
    Hey, I'm curious. Has anyone got this GUI APP of theres to work with Debian 8 (Jessie) I got the openvpn one working, but i dont like its lack of security, filtering and encryption.

the package installs for the GUI however it requires packages that i searched and searched for and nothing worked for it.

Curious as to if anyone has gotten anywhere with installing and setting up the GUI for debian 8. If so could you be super amazing and post the packages that need to be downloaded and or installed.

Seems to be hardest to fine libgnutls.so.26

PS.    Figured it out       for users with the libgnutls.so.26 error 

Go here http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libgnutls26 ; and get ur desired pack (i386 or AMD64)

it will work after that  but you wont get an icon for the app. on your screen. 

Thanks very very much
    Post edited by bladedshard on
  • I followed the instructions for re-downloading PIA VPN for Linux, and it was successful.  But after successfully downloading and installing, there is no VPN Connections in the Network Manager, and every time I try start the PIA VPN, I receive the following error:  "Couldn't load file:  /home/paul/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.32-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.s011:  cannot open shared object file.  No such file or directory."  If the download and installation was successful, why does the software not work?  I could download the libgcrypt.so11 file, but I do not find the indicated path in which to place the file.  I must be missing something.  The download and installation seemed to proceed without a hitch. Yet it's not being recognized.  What pathway of folders should exist, after a successful installation?
    www said:
    pdm502 said:
    I too have received the "error: libgcrypt.so.11" after having installed the beta on Ubuntu 15.10.  I'd like to find out, as well, if there is an official solution to the problem.

• wwwwww
    Do you have any error when installed libgcrypt.so.11? You must install libgcrypt.so.11 (.deb). After install, MAYBE you have to install other package. I said this because in Lubuntu I had to install many extra packages (I don't remember how many packages, maybe 4 or 5) but works fine. In ubuntu was less packages. 
    pdm502 said:
    I followed the instructions for re-downloading PIA VPN for Linux, and it was successful.  But after successfully downloading and installing, there is no VPN Connections in the Network Manager, and every time I try start the PIA VPN, I receive the following error:  "Couldn't load file:  /home/paul/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.32-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.s011:  cannot open shared object file.  No such file or directory."  If the download and installation was successful, why does the software not work?  I could download the libgcrypt.so11 file, but I do not find the indicated path in which to place the file.  I must be missing something.  The download and installation seemed to proceed without a hitch. Yet it's not being recognized.  What pathway of folders should exist, after a successful installation?
    www said:
    pdm502 said:

• Apparently nobody has tested this install on debian 8 jessie.    only the ubuntu install works  ( for network-manager-openvpn)

This one sort of works.  But doesnt provide an icon when u run it.  So u dont know if its running or enabled and cant change settings

• I'm on Ubuntu 15.10 and using Gnome. I've got this annoying issue with the dock placement. When PIA is running it seems to place extra blank icons in the tray. When it's not running they go away. The '.' is another program. This happens when I have the tray in the top right, and in the default position in the bottom left.

• Anyone else running this on Arch? A recent update seems to have broken the PIA VPN client. I don't have much to go on so far. The run.rb code is encoded so I can't view it.

If I run from a terminal, I don't get much helpful info. I think those messages appeared previously.

./run.sh
    pia_tray: no process found
    kill: sending signal to 25537 failed: No such process

Maybe one of the required libraries changed.

Apparently nobody has tested this install on debian 8 jessie.
    I'm running it (v56 of the Linux beta app) on Debian 8.3 (KDE). It installed OK and seems to run fine from its icon in the system tray. One problem: with port forwarding enabled, it isn't showing me the port. (In my experience, how well you fare with the system tray app seems to depend on what desktop environment you're running.)
    Is there a proxy setting with this client or any way to connect to the VPN over Tor (Not Tor over VPN)?
    This is a competitor's website, but you can repeat the process they do, but use PIA instead: https://bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=6933.0 Their method should work with just about any VPN.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 5
    I installed both libgnutuls26 and libgcrypt11 which are super outdated by the way. Anyways everything works fine. The only complaint is the shutdown problem. 

It takes 2-5 min to shutdown from Ubuntu 15 while the launcher is open. Only way to shutdown correctly is by closing it. 

Maybe you guys could take a look at it and fix this. Thanks!
    Post edited by azulo195 on
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 5
    For people using Ubuntu. Here are the packages you have to install in the correct order.

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10

This will work on Ubuntu 14 and up 

edit: corrected links as schlick7 pointed out
    Post edited by azulo195 on
  • wwwwww
    edited March 2016 Posts: 6
    azulo195 said:
    I installed both libgnutuls26 and libgcrypt11 which are super outdated by the way. Anyways everything works fine. The only complaint is the shutdown problem. 

It takes 2-5 min to shutdown from Ubuntu 15 while the launcher is open. Only way to shutdown correctly is by closing it. 

Interesting! I had shutdown problem but I don't associated to VPN...anyway, I solved the shutdown problem (Ubuntu 15.10):

1) sudo nano /etc/systemd/user.conf

Change these two lines:
    #DefaultTimeoutStartSec=10s
    #DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

to:
    DefaultTimeoutStartSec=10s
    DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

2) sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

Change these two lines:

to:

Shut down first time, take a long time but the second time and forever, in 10 seconds.

Have a good day/night
    Post edited by www on
    azulo195 said:
    For people using Ubuntu. Here are the packages you have to install in the correct order.

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10

This will work on Ubuntu 14 and up 
    The first link is wrong. It tries to install libgcrypt11-dbg which has libgcrypt11 as a dependency and won't install.

Correct link for libgcrypt11

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/7110687/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
    www said:
    azulo195 said:

Interesting! I had shutdown problem but I don't associated to VPN...anyway, I solved the shutdown problem (Ubuntu 15.10):

1) sudo nano /etc/systemd/user.conf

Change these two lines:

to:

2) sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

Change these two lines:

to:

Shut down first time, take a long time but the second time and forever, in 10 seconds.

Have a good day/night
    Thanks!
    schlick7 said:
    I'm running Xubuntu 15.10, but i386; any place to find this lib ?

the Linux Beta setup is not working for me "Couldn't load file:/home/adminchef16/.pia_manager/pia_tray.32/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"