PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• wwwwww
    Ricko_31 said:
    schlick7 said:
    I'm running Xubuntu 15.10, but i386; any place to find this lib ?

the Linux Beta setup is not working for me "Couldn't load file:/home/adminchef16/.pia_manager/pia_tray.32/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    Try this page: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/8993251 or https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgcrypt11
  • Hello,

I have used Private Internet Access for many years as a Windows user but are attempting to move to Linux full time and want to get PIA working on that system.

As per the instructions after installing the file and extracting the contents via the terminal several commands show up detailing dependencies that are not installed.

Installing dependencies...
    Running: sudo apt-get install -y libjpeg62 libxss1
    sudo: apt-get: command not found
    Running: sudo apt-get install -y libappindicator1
    Running: sudo apt-get install -y libgail18
    Installation complete!

The process installs the PIA icon on my computer but of course it does nothing when activated as the dependencies do not exist within it's programming.

I am currently running the Korora 23 Xfce operating system . The dependencies according to the Yum Extender are installed on my computer but are not the exact software versions that are required by the PIA installer. The versions of the software detailed above are unique or were created specifically for the Xfce flavor and do not match up with what is required by the installer for the PIA application to function properly.

I would like to know if there is a work-around process or alternative means as to get the Linux PIA application working on my computer?
    www said:
    Ricko_31 said:
    schlick7 said:

the Linux Beta setup is not working for me "Couldn't load file:/home/adminchef16/.pia_manager/pia_tray.32/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    Try this page: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/8993251 or https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgcrypt11
    From my Software Center, I've the version setup: libgcrypt11-dev 1.5.4-3+really1.6.3-2ubuntu1.1 (with the comment "This is a transitional dummy package to ease the migration from libgcrypt11-dev to libgcrypt20-dev. You can safely remove this package.")

the installer isn't working still

Ricko_31 said:
    www said:
    Ricko_31 said:
    schlick7 said:

From my Software Center, I've the version setup: libgcrypt11-dev 1.5.4-3+really1.6.3-2ubuntu1.1 (with the comment "This is a transitional dummy package to ease the migration from libgcrypt11-dev to libgcrypt20-dev. You can safely remove this package.")

the installer isn't working still

From PIA Support:
    Linux, here, is missing two essential files which are needed for our installer. You will need to install them and then retry the installation of our VPN setup.

libcrypt11 is available here:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/7110687/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb

libgnutls26 is available here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/amd64/libgnutls26/download

For 32 Bit versions of Ubuntu download the following files:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.3-2ubuntu4.2_i386.deb
    http://launchpadlibrarian.net/176785069/libgnutls26_2.12.23-15ubuntu2_i386.deb

PIA VPN is now working, and allow automatic connection!
  • I upgraded to 16.04 ubuntu beta. The PIA client is no longer working.

couldn't load file:/home/android/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libtasn1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

seems like the libtasn1.so referenced should be updated to the new version.

I upgraded to 16.04 ubuntu beta. The PIA client is no longer working.

couldn't load file:/home/android/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libtasn1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

seems like the libtasn1.so referenced should be updated to the new version.

Try this command 

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10
  • azulo195 said:
    Try this command

This doesn't help it is giving new error though.

Couldn't load file:/home/android/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    symlink to libgnutls.so.26 locally. Still do not see the tray icon. will use openvpn for the time being.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 5
    azulo195 said:
    Try this command

This doesn't help it is giving new error though.

Couldn't load file:/home/android/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    symlink to libgnutls.so.26 locally. Still do not see the tray icon. will use openvpn for the time being.

READ THIS COMMENT THAT I WROTE ON PAGE 17

For people using Ubuntu. Here are the packages you have to install in the correct order.

1. install libgcrypt11

2. install libgnutuls26

3. run this command

This will work on Ubuntu 14 and up 

CAREFUL CLOSE THE APPLICATION BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN UBUNTU OR IT WILL TAKE LONG TO SHUT DOWN!

Post edited by azulo195 on
    Hi PIA team,
    I have used your app both with Windows and Linux. Both work very well. I have one mention though on this linux app: the local network is inaccessible when the PIA app is used. I have created a simple script for myself that adds the appropriate iptables rules, and later created a more complete version. I believe adding this functionality to your application directly would be great.

Here is my script if anyone is interested. Please test before using as I have only used it personally on 3 systems and the killswitch functionality could be broken if the script did not complete correctly: https://github.com/steelbox/PIA-local-access

*NONE* of the suggested methods work for a fresh-installed ubuntu 15.10 or 16.04 , older, upgraded Linux works, but the newer libraries are not used by this software,
    Just installed V.56 on Ubuntu 15.10, used the above order of package installs and got a clean install and start.  The only problem is it doesn't connect.  Icon sometimes goes dark green for a second or two and then back to red.  Other times not even that (may depend on connection location). Can't find any errors in the syslog.
    Hi all,

I've successfully installed the client (v.56) on a Virtual Box image of Mint (3.19.0-32-generic)

Everything works fine at first, but eventually the connection drops and does not come back up again without reselecting a server to connect to from the GUI.

The pia log shows:

[23:53:01:315] [Ti.API] [Information] sleep/resume detected, reconnecting
    [23:53:01:523] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 500
    [23:53:01:529] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status
    [23:53:03:193] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 5000
    [23:53:03:197] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status
    [23:53:03:211] [Ti.API] [Information] connect() because set_connection_status: CONNECTED down
    [23:53:03:212] [Ti.API] [Information] connect()
    [23:53:03:281] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 500
    [23:53:03:290] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status
    [23:53:11:369] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 5000
    [23:53:11:377] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status

And the system log shows:

Mini NetworkManager[724]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/tun0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
    Mini NetworkManager[724]:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/tun0, iface: tun0)
    Mini NetworkManager[724]:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/tun0, iface: tun0): no ifupdown configuration found.

Can anyone advise how to stop the connection dropping, or at the very least a command I can add to cron to ensure automatic reconnection please?

Thanks in advance!

I am running this on linux mint. It seems to be working fine, except for the last couple of hours it won't let me select from the list when you click on the icon. Only if I click settings. Before a couple of hours ago, it would let me switch locations and now those options are greyed out. Is this a bug?

I did uninstall and reinstall. Didn't change anything.
  • As others have said, it is not working on ubuntu 16.04. libgcrypt11 installs fine however, libgnutuls26 returns:

Dependency is not satisfiable: libtasn1-3 (>= 1.6-0)

Does anyone know if their is a way around this?
    I just got this working the other night on a new install of Debian 8.3 with Xfce. This was on an old(er) HP All-in-one. I'm currently recreating the process on an HP 630 and decided to put my notes here. It solved the "Dependency is not satisfiable: libtasn1-3 (>= 1.6-0)" problem. I don't know if it's "right", or if it could cause other problems later, but it's a band-aid that works for now.

Ok, right after I get the, "Installation complete!", message, I got a dialog box with the title, "TideSDK", with the contents saying, "Couldn't load file:/home/USER/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

UPDATE: After 1 hour of searching, I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find where I found the file. 2 days ago, I found libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb but for the life of me, I can't find where I got it. IIRC, I found it in a DDG search relating wheezy.  Anywho...

sudo dpkg -i libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb

Then:

./install_linux.sh

Gives you...another TideSDK dialog box with the contents, "Couldn't load file:/home/rsdunn/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So, I found libgnutls26_2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12_amd64.deb , again, not immediately remembering where, but I think it was easier than libgcrypt11. So...

sudo dpkg -i libgnutls26_2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12_amd64.deb

Gives us errors in the terminal this time, instead of in a TideSDK dialog box. The output is:

Selecting previously unselected package libgnutls26:amd64.
    (Reading database ... 97719 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack libgnutls26_2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking libgnutls26:amd64 (2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnutls26:amd64:
     libgnutls26:amd64 depends on libtasn1-3 (>= 1.6-0); however:
      Package libtasn1-3 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package libgnutls26:amd64 (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     libgnutls26:amd64

I remember trying a lot of stuff with libtasn1-3 and getting nowhere, but finding it in another search regarding wheezy, which lead me to find libtasn1-3_2.13-2+deb7u2_amd64.deb. So, then...

sudo dpkg -i libtasn1-3_2.13-2+deb7u2_amd64.deb

Works, so we do the previous one that didn't work...

sudo dpkg -i libgnutls26_2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12_amd64.deb

That works, so, we try the install again...
    ./install_linux.sh

...and the setting dialog for PIA comes up, with the little red guy in my notifications area.

PERSONAL NOTE, I apologize for not being able to give links to the relevant files. I did it all "on the fly" 2 nights ago and relied on the already downloaded files to complete the install on the second machine. In the future, I will endeavor to make notes about what I'm doing the first time around so I can properly document these things.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1
    I have the application running in Ubuntu 15.10 64bit, however, the tooltip is not showing up when hovering over the icon.  The whole point of installing this was to be able to port forward.

Does anyone know of a way to see the forwarded port other than the tooltip?

EDIT: never mind, port forwarding only works on certain connections... connecting to CA Toronto fixes the problem for me.  The forwarded port might be displayed in the tooltip, which I still don't see, but it's definitely displayed in the pop status, first line.
    Post edited by thehandyman33 on
    rdunn19d

I appreciate the summary of Debian 8.3 with Xfce - any update on the sources of those files required?
    rdunn19d

I appreciate the summary of Debian 8.3 with Xfce - any update on the sources of those files required?
    Update:

I used libgcrypt11_1.5.3-2ubuntu4.3_amd64.deb to start, which I got here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libgcrypt11/download

Then moved on to libtasn1-3_2.13-2+deb7u2_amd64.deb, which I got here:

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/libtasn1-3/download

Finally, I got libgnutls26_2.12.14-5ubuntu3.12_amd64.deb here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/precise/amd64/libgnutls26/download

Which allowed me, with @rdunn19d's instruction/help to get PIA up and running in an Xfce environment in Debian.

Cheers!
    reeza said:
    After having lots of issues getting it to work in Kubuntu 15.10, I decided to install Mint 17.3.

The installation/ application works great on Mint. However, a few things. The list of servers is too long for the screen I can't select anything from the top and the only way to disconnect seems to be to kill the application completely also the strange gap in the bottom bar when the applet is loaded. Also clicking "more" nothing shows just the list disappears.

Hoping it will be fixed in an update, but until then, is there a way to remove servers I don't use to shrink the list down?

Cheers. rEEzA

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 and new  PIA client 5.8 which is still plagued by this  screen /display problem of the servers. This has been a problem for quite some time now through several PIA clients why is it not being addressed ? Any work around beside lowering Dpi and openvpn? I am sadly seriously considering moving on with another vpn provider after being with PIA for some time now, even though PIA is a Linux Mint Partner.

Dennis
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1
    Long time user of PIA, from before windows XP was dumped. Long story short, switched to linux mint (running 17.3 now) for older machines after XP EOL, ran PIA via support page instructions before finding the app in beta...... which it has been in for years now.
    Understanding this -is- beta, I have patiently been using it as best I could despite the frustrations of doing so.
    Today, noticed that the app said "upgrade available", attempted to download and install, would not work, something about the system not being able to read or recognize the binary?

PIA is starting to be a real pain in the a**! to run on linux machines.
    Constant install issues have plagued my every attempt to run the service via the app, sometimes it installs correctly, sometimes it doesn't, its all trial and error.
    CANNOT upgrade to latest versions simply by clicking the "upgrade now" line in the app window, and when attempt upgrade I have to wonder "will it even work"?

You say you are partnered with linux mint, yet your app -which is the only way to run your service properly with VPN kill swtich, encryption, etc; these features THAT WE PAY FOR are not available in the standard networking connection of linux- has been in beta for literally years.

Constant speed issues, constant issues with the beta software, all while I assume you have access to Mints code..... ridiculous.

Seriously looking for alternative service that is STABLE on linux platforms, FULL FEATURED, and easy to use.

Get it together PIA- you've had YEARS in beta, linux is all open source, your supposedly partenred with Mint, it cannot be that difficult!

Maybe take some of the $$$ we pay you and hire some decent coders to get this done, and ASAP!

Post edited by tobcontinued on

keand said:
    *NONE* of the suggested methods work for a fresh-installed ubuntu 15.10 or 16.04 , older, upgraded Linux works, but the newer libraries are not used by this software,

rayw said:
    Just installed V.56 on Ubuntu 15.10, used the above order of package installs and got a clean install and start.  The only problem is it doesn't connect.  Icon sometimes goes dark green for a second or two and then back to red.  Other times not even that (may depend on connection location). Can't find any errors in the syslog.
    I have successfully gotten it working perfectly on Ubuntu 16.04.

I did a fresh install and did not encrypt my hard drive or home directory.

Followed azulo195 's instructions for installing the libraries above and everything is good.

The icon was flashing green before and I can only assume this was due to having an encrypted home folder.
    Installed and working fine on Ubuntu Mate 16.04
  • JTPJTP
    Installed on debian Jessie and it launches fine but get this error whenever I try to connect to a gateway:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip6_tables': Operation not permitted
    ip6tables v1.4.21: can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    ip6tables v1.4.21: can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Running XUbuntu 16.04, running v.56

the App is proposing "Upgrade Available"; do I need to try to upgrade ?
  • Ricko_31 said:
    Running XUbuntu 16.04, running v.56

the App is proposing "Upgrade Available"; do I need to try to upgrade ?
    I have the same thing.  But it wont upgrade at all.   Was wondering whats up or if the upgraded version is posted here?
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1
    The newest version can be found here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/downloads

Also, to add to what some others have said; I had to install the following three packages in order for PIA to function on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

libgcrypt11: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/7110687/+files/libgcrypt11_1.5.4-2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
    libtasn1-3: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/amd64/libtasn1-3/download
    libgnutls26: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/amd64/libgnutls26/download
    Post edited by Fayed on
    As per the instructions after installing the file and extracting the contents via the terminal several commands show up detailing dependencies that are not installed.

The process installs the PIA icon on my computer but of course it does nothing when activated as the dependencies do not exist within it's programming.

I am currently running the Korora 23 Xfce operating system .

I would like to know if there is a work-around process or alternative means as to get the Linux PIA application working on my computer?
    Forget about it. This app was developed for Debian based distros like Ubuntu and Mint, not for Red Hat based ones like Fedora (and Korora).

You can try to follow this instead: https://techwords.io/en/configuring-pia-vpn-on-fedora/
    pinenut said:
    It doesn't work with Fedora 23, which doesn't understand "apt-get" command.
    Yes, it doesn't work with Fedora. It only works with Debian based distros like Ubuntu and Mint.

Try this: https://techwords.io/en/configuring-pia-vpn-on-fedora/
    Skibbs said:
    Will this app work in Fedora 22?  it does not use apt-get, it uses dnf (yum) so the scripts wont work.
    Nope. It only works on Debian based distros.

You can try this: https://techwords.io/en/configuring-pia-vpn-on-fedora/