PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

@pryo12

Thanks for the info. Hopefully It wont be like this on the next release. 
  • its been like that for a while but thanks for the update.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1
    Why no PPA for Linux?Also the beta version is not working in xbuntu 64 bit but the normal one does why is that?
    Post edited by Anoymous on
    Thanks to the guys who suggested that installing the app on a non encrypted home directory would work. It did!

Anyone on Linux Mint 17 facing the issue of the app never staying on green, but cycling to red this is the only solution I found.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134121&p=8867369#post8867369
    PIA client was great on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

but you guys need to sort it out for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. but whats the point of using a encrypted connection and not have a encrypted home folder?

Thank you.
    I have it installed on Linux Mint 16 x64, and works fine...

Two problems: 1-after several days it starts using tons of RAM, over 800mb in one case.

2-I have about 40 instances of "sh" zombie process running.  once I quit PIA app, they disappear.  Start up the app, and they slowly start showing up.

Anyone else seeing these issues?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 12

Two problems: 1-after several days it starts using tons of RAM, over 800mb in one case.

2-I have about 40 instances of "sh" zombie process running.  once I quit PIA app, they disappear.  Start up the app, and they slowly start showing up.

I see 4 "sh" instances, each around 68KiB. I'm using Linux Mint 17 32-bit.
    Post edited by omer on
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 24
    Same situation, doesn't work !

Anyone knows how to remove it completely ?

Running Linux Mint 17 (32-Bit)

Also getting cycles of Green and Red

But never able to connect

Log shows:

Wed Jun  4 18:41:01 2014 OpenVPN 2.2.2 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] [eurephia] built on May 23 2014
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:01 2014 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:01 2014 LZO compression initialized
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:01 2014 Attempting to establish TCP connection with 37.130.227.204:500 [nonblock]
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:03 2014 TCP connection established with 37.130.227.204:500
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:03 2014 TCPv4_CLIENT link local: [undef]
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:03 2014 TCPv4_CLIENT link remote: 37.130.227.204:500
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:03 2014 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1560', remote='link-mtu 1544'
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 WARNING: 'cipher' is used inconsistently, local='cipher AES-128-CBC', remote='cipher BF-CBC'
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-128-CBC' initialized with 128 bit key
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 Data Channel Encrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-128-CBC' initialized with 128 bit key
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 Data Channel Decrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 2048 bit RSA
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:04 2014 [Private_Internet_Access] Peer Connection Initiated with 37.130.227.204:500
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:06 2014 Note: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:06 2014 /sbin/ifconfig  10.30.1.26 pointopoint 10.30.1.25 mtu 1500
    SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not permitted
    : ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    SIOCSIFDSTADDR: Operation not permitted
    : ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    SIOCSIFMTU: Operation not permitted
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:06 2014 Linux ifconfig failed: external program exited with error status: 1
    Wed Jun  4 18:41:06 2014 Exiting
    Post edited by leoOK on
    @pyro12 : How can I completely remove this? I would like to reinstall it from scratch...

If you are NOT comfortable with running commands in a terminal window.  THEN DON'T read further !!!

With that warning typed.  From my experience, the PIA installer only installs the Linux PIA VPN client in your $HOME directory.  So.  To remove all installed directories and files created by the Linux PIA 'installer.sh' in your $HOME directory.  Run this command in a terminal for clues:

ls -ld .pia* pia* $HOME/.local/share/applications/pia*

Then still in a terminal window use the 'rm -R' command (carefully) in place of the 'ls -ld' command to remove directories and files you see from running the 'ls' command listed above.

After that.  Do the install again if you want to do a fresh install.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 13
    I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi (raspbian) and, as someone else mentioned, it looks like the use of "ruby" is causing an issue.  I can install this dependency fine via apt-get install ruby -- is there any way to force the installer to use this rather than trying to use its own?  Here's the error I'm getting:

./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    Post edited by jgrn307 on
    not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes.  I run transmission as a daemon on my computer at home.  for perfectly legal downloads of course.  unfortunately I can only seem to forward one port using this app and i need both to forward the web interface and the actual port it communicates with the peers with.  Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?  Or maybe a way to make specific ports not use the vpn.  I'm not really caring about the web interface being on the vpn really as long as the actual data goes through the vpn
    Hi. I've got a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit GNU/Linux and Linux kernel version 3.13.0-29 generic 64 bit. I understand the workaround for encrypted disks, but I'm wondering if Private Internet Access is working to solve the problem regarding getting their GNU/Linux VPN desktop client to work with full-disk LUKS encryption and ecryptfs /home encryption for the root account. I did create a second user account and password and I got the PIA VPN GNU/Linux desktop client to connect successfully, but I don't want to do this. When is this important feature going to be supported and when will the final stable version of this desktop client going to be released? Thank you.

I have symptom #2, lots of sh zombies that go away when I stop pia app. Running Linux Mint 17 MATE on three computers. Only see this issue on the one I'm trying to keep up all the time, not on the laptops that get turned off daily.

The beta app works fine other than that.
    Working well on Linux Mint 17 with Cinnamon.
  • KalKal
    I'm having trouble running this in Linux Mint 17. The VPN fails to connect. Here is an excerpt of the terminal output:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip6_tables': Operation not permitted
    ip6tables v1.4.21: can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    sysctl: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6'
    sysctl: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6'
    sysctl: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6'
    Will the start app at logon checkbox cause the app to be started at system start, or when the owning user actually logs on?
    Followed instructions for install of PIA linux beta.  But it throws an error in the install script because libjpeg62 download "is not authenticated. Sorry, can't find a way to insert code but this is the output from Konsole:

richard@atom:~/downloads$ ./installer_linux.sh
    Extracting files...
    Installing dependencies...
    Running: sudo apt-get install -y libjpeg62 libxss1
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree      
    Reading state information... Done
    libxss1 is already the newest version.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libjpeg62
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 85.4 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 204 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      libjpeg62
    E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

This results in the following error message when the script runs:

Couldn't load file:/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solved the problem by manually installing libjpeg62 using apt-get install.  Now all is well

Just for your information.

Regards

Richard

PS - Great installer script BTW!!

• edited July 2014 Posts: 2
    I have succesfully installed the beta on an atom PC running Solydx (xfce) and also a PC running Netrunner 13.  However, for your information there is a new version of Netrunner (14) which I now have running on yet another PC.  The install of the beta appears to go OK but won't run from the pia folder or via terminal.  The reason is that it looks as if Netrunner have dropped gnome keyring between the two versions.  Running your installer in a terminal gives this output:

richard@office2:~/.pia_manager/pia_manager$ ./run.sh
    pia_tray: no process found
    pia_tray: no process found
    >>> KR_HOME=/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64
    >>> KR_RUNTIME=/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta
    >>> KR_MODULES=/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/app/1.3.2-beta:/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/filesystem/1.3.2-beta:/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/ui/1.3.2-beta:/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/network/1.3.2-beta:/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/process/1.3.2-beta:
    [15:59:41:770] [Ti.Host] [Debug] Loading module: /home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/app/1.3.2-beta/libtideapp.so
    [15:59:41:773] [Ti.App.AppConfig] [Debug] Loading config file: /home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/tiapp.xml
    [15:59:41:773] [Ti.App] [Debug] Loaded config file successfully
    [15:59:41:773] [Ti.Host] [Information] Loaded module = app
    [15:59:41:773] [Ti.Host] [Debug] Loading module: /home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/filesystem/1.3.2-beta/libtidefilesystem.so
    [15:59:41:774] [Ti.Host] [Information] Loaded module = filesystem
    [15:59:41:774] [Ti.Host] [Debug] Loading module: /home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/ui/1.3.2-beta/libtideui.so
    [15:59:41:775] [Ti.Host] [Error] Could not load module (/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/ui/1.3.2-beta/libtideui.so): "Error loading module (/home/richard/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/modules/ui/1.3.2-beta/libtideui.so): libgnome-keyring.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You can see it is complaining about the keyring files in the last entry before it crashed.  I solved the issue by installing libgnome-keyring0 and libgnome-keyring0-common via Synaptic. Now the installer runs fine and I have a VPN connection. 

I'll post this on the netrunner forum but you may need to update your installation guide to say that the install also requires libgnome-keyring0, or perhaps modify the script to check for this file.

Regards

Richard

Post edited by arjay on
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2
    The PIA tray icon in my linux mint cinnamon 17 machine had disappeared. It was fine the day before. Are there any fix for that?
    Post edited by fuengb on
    @fuengb

This happens to me on occasion, too.  I checked whatismyip.com and, for me at least, the app is still running.  I simply pinned the PIA app to my taskbar and relaunching it makes the tray icon reappear.

• I've got the client running in a Linux Mint 17 virtual machine.  Can't get anything better than 400kbps while connected.  Windows 7 host has no speed problems while connected.
  • Fresh install of Mint 17 Cinnamon.

Install of PIA Application went fine. No errors. Unfortunately, tray icon cycles through red and green (as reported elsewhere) and does not connect. I have tried the few solution offered by users in this thread, but to no avail.

PIA you have a great service, but fix your Linux application! More and more people are switching to Linux (like me!).
  • JTPJTP
    I have the latest install on my Crunchbang system (Its basically just Debian with Openbox on top) and it looks like it works fine when it actually doesnt. When I press connect, it connects, the bot goes green but my IP doesnt change. I dont have any other networking interfaces on my machine other than the ones VMWare and Virtualbox install... Whats going on?
    Thanks
    PS:
    I have tried most gateways.

• JTPJTP
    Also, ditto with the speed issues. I have had them before where my speeds dont go above 1mb/s

Did a fresh install of Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32 bit and "installer_linux.sh" worked. I had to do it all in terminal and I am a linux newbie but it works great, no DNS leaks.
    Is there any way to get the port forwarded by the port forwarding feature other than the tooltip?
  • Just installed Mint 17 Cinnamon and after apt-get update and apt-get upgrade the Beta client went off well. Seems to be working without any problems other than - for now, the autostart does not appear to be working. Looking forward to the final release.
    Please, out of respect for us linux users, update the client.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12
    For the current download, I'm receiving "sha256sum installer_linux.tar.gz
    397470e22bb8c19cdce5b52e1e0755d611e3c45761d65472b93d530d850a55cc installer_linux.tar.gz" and "sha256sum installer_linux.sh
    8c2b412e9f2631434746143efac4b5f8ce11be8c9f3192b0133de224949a7ad2 installer_linux.sh" on consecutive downloads, which doesn't match up with OP... can anyone else please confirm this?

EDIT: I ended up installing it to test, and the client reads that it's version 0.40, thus it appears that only the OP wasn't updated but the download in the link was. The OP currently only refers to v0.38.

Post edited by omer on
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 61
    @omer

Glad to see someone's paying attention.  Thanks!

Your checksums match what I'm seeing too after downloading 'installer_linux.tar.gz' and after decompressing 'installer_linux.sh' and installing this 'newest' linux beta PIA VPN client (v.40).

Testing now to see if the 'VPN Kill Switch' fuctionality has been fix?

Time will tell....

My OS:  Linux Mint 17 MATE 64-bit

EDIT:  Nope.  Assuming the 'VPN Kill Switch' functionality is supposed to mirror the way it functions in Windows (v.40)?  In this latest linux v.40 client, with the 'VPN Kill Switch' enabled, but the PIA VPN client 'disconnected, any LAN connectivity to other machines on my LAN's subnet is whacked (i.e., hosed).  So nothing has change on this front.  Disappointing...

Post edited by martywd on