Test Your E-Mail for IP Leaks

edited November 2013 in Privacy News Posts: 171
Please visit http://emailipleak.com to test your e-mail client/web e-mail client for IP leaks.

Thank you,
Private Internet Access

Comments

What does this mean? I just used the test and it got back to me saying that it did leak my IP. Does it mean the VPN is not working and does it apply to other things too or just the email program?
    Likewise. It says my IP is <VPN IP> and then after sending the email it says my IP was leaked, and the email had displayed my IP as <VPN IP>. Not leaking, then?
    If it is leaking with your email, then chances are there is something else leaking, although I cannot confirm the truth to that. Have you done the DNS and IPv6 leak tests? I have never had an email leak my IP before so I don't know what steps to take exactly. Check for other leaks first.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 222
    If it is leaking with your email, then chances are there is something else leaking, although I cannot confirm the truth to that. Have you done the DNS and IPv6 leak tests? I have never had an email leak my IP before so I don't know what steps to take exactly. Check for other leaks first.
    @OS34 it would appear the tool is reporting false positives. The two IP addresses stated are both VPN IPs and neither IPv6 (disabled) or DNS are leaking. It seems to be a bug in the tool (or poor reporting, since it doesn't show what IP was leaked).
    Post edited by rainmakerraw on
    @rainmakerraw I just ran the emailipleak test with all three of my gmail accounts and my yahoo account (same computer though, so redundant and pointless lol) and I did not get leaks on any of them. I'm not saying that there is not a problem with the tool, just letting you know that I am not getting the leak message.
    @OS34 but you used the webmail client inside a browser, correct? I just did the same and also got 'not leaking' in response. However when I send from Thunderbird on my local machine (same GMail account) I get a message that my IP leaked, yet it's the VPN IP being displayed.

I think this might just be an issue with wording. The browser webmail session will likely come with the server's IP as the originator whereas a local client will have the IP of your current connection; in my case a VPN IP.

PIA, you guys need to explain this a little as it's quite confusing.
    As you can see the two places an IP is displayed (redacted, so obviously you can't see them) are both my VPN IP and so how is this a 'leak'?

@rainmakerraw you are correct. I did use the mail client in my browser. I just used Thunderbird and can confirm that I also got the message that my IP leaked, even though the VPN IP was displayed.
    @OS34 @Support So on the face of it this is no more of a 'leak' than when I send a HTTP request to fetch a web page while connected to the VPN? In such a case "12.34.56.78 requests index.htm" (where 12.34.56.78 is a VPN IP) is about as much of a 'leak' as this email test is claiming since only the VPN IP is shown as the originating IP?
    @rainmakerraw I don't really see why using Thunderbird provides leaking results when the same IP is used within the browser on the same account. For now I would say that the Thunderbird (and possibly other non-browser clients) provide false positives and you should only be concerned if the email client being used in a browser produces leaked messages.
  • No Leaks !!!!

=D> ^:)^ :-bd
  • No leaks here of any description took forever to get DNS result tho.
    Using WLM client .. whaddya mean its obsolete it works just fine 
    :-bd