Regarding CISA and PIA

edited March 2016 in Privacy News Posts: 41
Congress recently passed the CISA or Cyber Security Information Sharing Act by adding the text into a consolidated spending bill. While the law does not require internet service providers to log and record all internet traffic, it does make it easier for private companies to share information with government agencies regarding alleged threats. The bill also creates a framework for federal agencies to receive information from private companies regarding alleged threats.

However, this bill changes nothing about the way Private Internet Access does business and the commitment to privacy we have to our customers. Private Internet Access will not participate or take advantage of any incentives offered to private companies to disclose and share user activity with governmental agencies. We will continue to monitor pending privacy and cybersecurity bills and we will stand against any and all bills that fail to protect a free and open internet.

If you still have questions, please feel free to contact support!

24/7 live chat support via our website https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/contact-us
Alternatively you could send us an email ticket directly to helpdesk@privateinternetaccess.com

*Edited to remove mention our since discontinued phone support
Post edited by TarvinCallas on

Comments

I've read that CISA will allow private companies to violate their privacy policies without liability. I think it's time for PIA to strongly consider moving their HQ outside U.S. jurisdiction.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 297
    I've read that CISA will allow private companies to violate their privacy policies without liability. I think it's time for PIA to strongly consider moving their HQ outside U.S. jurisdiction.
    what are you doin on here that you're so worried about anyways??  it's all voluntary anyways and it's mainly aimed at banks and retailers etc. who get hacked and wanna volunteer info to help...their not worried about you downloading Adele's new CD...and frankly, if you're online watching guys f*** 5 year olds or helping plan a terrorist bombing or mass killing, I wish PIA would help them catch these p*****...hate me if you will.

** Post edited due to vulgar language by Goldstein
    Post edited by Goldstein on
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,013

moshbeast said:
    what are you doin on here that you're so worried about anyways??  it's all voluntary anyways and it's mainly aimed at banks and retailers etc. who get hacked and wanna volunteer info to help...their not worried about you downloading Adele's new CD...and frankly, if you're online watching guys f*** 5 year olds or helping plan a terrorist bombing or mass killing, I wish PIA would help them catch these p*****...hate me if you will.

There is more to the story than this. And I rather doubt catcher749 is doing that sort of nonsense. If I am correct, the problem i that they can now *PAY* a company to volunteer information. *ANY* information. This disaster of a bill will break the Internet.

Who can your bank get more money from for your information? You? Or the NSA? I think the problem is evident.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,103
    moshbeast said:
    what are you doin on here that you're so worried about anyways??  it's all voluntary anyways and it's mainly aimed at banks and retailers etc. who get hacked and wanna volunteer info to help...their not worried about you downloading Adele's new CD...and frankly, if you're online watching guys f*** 5 year olds or helping plan a terrorist bombing or mass killing, I wish PIA would help them catch these p*****...hate me if you will.

Yeah, sounds like you would advocate logging. Why don't you take your a** over to proxy.sh where they do that sort of thing. They don't do that here at PIA.

• Lets talk for a minute about "Nothing wrong, nothing to hide". Right and Wrong are purely subjective terms. Most laws are aimed at moral interpretations of right and wrong. Causing harm to someone else is interpreted as wrong. This is very different from the Corporate or Personal versions of right and wrong. Corporations would subjectively consider "Wrong" to be a threat to their profits. People could take extremist views and consider "Wrong" as different religion. Every version of Right and Wrong will be different for everyone. Its not the things that you do "Wrong" that you need to worry about. It is the things you believe to be "Right" that are interpreted differently by others. --- Without Privacy, everything is subject to approval. --- A recent news article reported that Credit Agencies are now dinging peoples credit reports for using the word "wasted" on Facebook. The people that post the word "wasted" may not consider it to be wrong, but Credit Agencies are strongly encouraged to find every possible way to lower a persons credit score as much as possible because the lower the credit score, the more profits can be had. Again, threat to profits is "wrong" in the eyes of Lenders. The more access to information they have about you, the more of an incentive they have to look at that information and find something to use against you. Do you eat Bacon? Religiously offensive, thus, you get dinged on your credit score. If not Bacon, then Beef. Same thing, again, another excuse to take more money from you. Lets try something bigger. It is neither Immoral or Illegal to be Jewish. Yet, how many Jews died during the holocaust because of their invasion of Privacy? They may not go after the Jews again, but they very well come after anyone that understands that the protection of Privacy are what enable very core concepts such as Free Will and growth based on Self Determination. Without these, you are assigned numbers and told who you are and what to buy. That is your ONLY value to corporations. One of the big issues with ending Privacy is that people think one of two things: either non consequential, or the opposite where it means life and death, such as for the Jews. The elimination of Privacy thru acts like CISA will result in very small, but cumulative effects to the point where it is so chilling that it reshapes the mind of the surveilled to be completely obedient and in a constant state of fear. You may not die because you disagree with someone on Facebook, but if it can ding your credit score, expect it to do so. If you eat too many calories in a day, expect your health insurance to go up. Any differences of opinion will also result in cumulative effects to the point that people no longer talk about what they would choose to do with free will that is a benefit to society. Ending Privacy is nothing short of Totalitarian Ownership of Human Livestock. Welcome to the Brave New 1984, take your Soma, Obey, Consume, Do Not Question Authority, and enjoy your enslavement.
  • BDKBDK
    I thought the CISA applied to all cyber companies?
    There is no point to a Warrant Canary since CISA negates the need for a warrant.
    They do not and never have. They refer to warrant canaries as "security theatre." Perhaps it is. Perhaps it's even used as a marketing ploy by other vpns. But then PIA is a master of marketing ploys too. The fact that they're one of the only vpns who refuses to use a warrant canary is a bit disconcerting to me. But they've also done far worse things to shake my confidence in them.
    But they've also done far worse things to shake my confidence in them. like what? whats the alternative best
    moshbeast said:

what are you doin on here that you're so worried about anyways??  it's all voluntary anyways and it's mainly aimed at banks and retailers etc. who get hacked and wanna volunteer info to help...their not worried about you downloading Adele's new CD...and frankly, if you're online watching guys f*** 5 year olds or helping plan a terrorist bombing or mass killing, I wish PIA would help them catch these p*****...hate me if you will.

Is it just me, or does everyone else see a post like this and immediately think: "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to hide"?

And, dear Moshbeast, using your own logic, if you aren't doing anything wrong yourself, why are you even a member here?