qBittorrent settings check, and router port forwarding

Hi there;

I'm interested in buying a PIA subscription and I am in the middle of doing my research first. My primary interest for using a VPN is to be able to use torrents without my real IP address leaking.

Using qBittorrent 3.3.1 with UPnP/NAT-PMP already disabled, my plan is to
  • bind qBittorrent to the interface used by the VPN;
  • choose a server that allows port forwarding (preferably CA or NL), and set qBittorrent to listen on that port;
  • not bother setting up a SOCKS5 proxy in qBittorrent since I've read that it's not necessary;
  • have DHT, Peer Exchange, and Local Peer Discovery all enabled, and have encryption set to "Preferred";
  • and finally, enable VPN Kill Switch, DNS Leak Protection, and IPv6 Leak Protection in the PIA client.

Am I on the right track, or is there anything I'm missing or could improve?

Secondly, I am lost about what I should do with my router. Currently, UPnP is disabled and a TCP/UDP port is forwarded for qBittorrent to listen on. Once I start using a VPN, is it necessary to close this port, or would it be okay to leave it open? I don't imagine that I'd want to torrent from behind a VPN all the time, so it would be a hassle to have to always be opening and closing ports depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

This will work fine. You have everything as it should be.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3
    Thank you for the reply!

Also, about the kill switch and DNS leak protection: As I understand it, when the kill switch is triggered (PIA client disconnecting, etc), your computer's whole connection is brought down and you need to get a new DHCP lease to get online again. But what about DNS leak protection? What changes does it make to Windows' network settings and how do you undo them, if you have to, after the PIA client is closed?
    Post edited by x917 on
    As far as I know, DNS leak protection just sets you Internet interface to use the PIA DNS. The kill switch just disables DHCP so that if you lose the connection for any reason, you do not just get a new connection through your unprotected ISP connection.
    OmniNegro said:
    As far as I know, DNS leak protection just sets you Internet interface to use the PIA DNS. The kill switch just disables DHCP so that if you lose the connection for any reason, you do not just get a new connection through your unprotected ISP connection.

Not true,

Not all are allowed access to router to begin with and on top of that can not use their own via terms of service.

So this leads to a mess people trying this method, I wanted to test it before clean install it broke network completely.

But these latest PIA updates are as well.

I run a media server so the above will not work it over rides the local host and blocks connections locally not passing through tunnel even with ports listed.

The other issues now on PIA 70,71,72 are just total carnage between anything PIA - Media Server - Torrent client... even just idle on desktop enable either one of those now it wrecks connection.. Constant disconnects then you  uninstall put a new version on seems there is a lot  more files left over from PIA it takes up old settings and continues.

So what is the deal causing this last few updates I always ran DNS / Kill Switch 1.5yr+ no issues then things get shady here IP's are swapped jumbled then new updates bring these issues etc