Torrenting disconnect´s my internet.

edited January 2016 in General VPN Support Posts: 5
I don´t know if this is the right category or even the right site for this question but it´s the only place i found that people actually help people and are active.

Whenever i start downloading torrents through a torrent client my internet disconnects.
The time it takes for this to happen varies from 1 minute to 2 hours though usually it´s about 5-10 minutes.

This only happens when using ethernet cable. For example a mobile broadband connection (i think that´s it. the usb pluggable thing that has it´s own service agreement) works fine.

The following things have been ruled out through testing, physical and everything i could think of.

It´s not:
The router
the internet provider
anti-virus firewalls
the network card
the ethernet cable
the torrent clients settings
the torrent client
a virus (unless it slipped  from 3 different anti-virus programs)
the torrents (no matter the site, the torrent, or it´s size, amount of seeders etc.)

Using Windows 7 64 bit

Edit: I need to restart my computer to get the connection back again, restarting the router or unplugging and plugging back does nothing.

I found couple of people with the same problem but on the occasion that they managed to fix it the fix didn´t work for me.
Post edited by Dr.Grimm on
«1

Comments

  • Posts: 47

    Have you tried limiting your connections in the torrent program?  Try to limit active torrents to 2 (while testing).

    Max connections to torrent 50
    Max connections globaly 200
  • Bonkers said:

    Have you tried limiting your connections in the torrent program?  Try to limit active torrents to 2 (while testing).

    Max connections to torrent 50
    Max connections globaly 200
    This has all been done and it´s not it. Went from 100 to 1 on both gradually and no change. And a new development, on occasion this same problem has been caused by Origin. And downloading through my browser or skype or Steam works with no problems.
  • I have the same issue, the following works for me (far less disconnections now, somewhat stable connection)

    Use Utorrent version 2.2.1, In settings, under bandwidth, change upload rate from unlimited to something else (e.g 500). Tick the boxes 'Apply rate limit to transport overhead',Apply rate limit to uTP connections'. Global max number of connections 500, max num connected peers per torrent 100, number of upload slots per torrent 4, tick the last box.

    Under bit torrent, all boxes ticked except 'Enable local peer discovery, enable bandwidth management, limit local peer bandwidth.  Protocol encryption should be set to enabled.

    In pia settings, change remote port to 1194 from auto. leave local port blank. leave local port, vpn kill switch, dns leak protection, ipv6 leak protection unchecked. 

    The above settings give a stable connection on win 10 (it does disconnect every once in a long while , couple of hours, better than nothing tho).
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5
    I´ll try that, not something i had thought, i´ll get back to you :)

    EDIT: And to no avail, disconnect in under 5 minutes, gosh darn it
    Post edited by Dr.Grimm on
  • Hello Dr. Grimm

    Try to "Run as administrator" option when clicking on utorrent/bitcomet icon and start seeding / downloading something. If it won't help, try to shut down the PC and router completely from power cord and re-plug them back after 10 minutes. First plug in to power cord your router and then PC and turn it on.
  • alex1911 said:
    Hello Dr. Grimm

    Try to "Run as administrator" option when clicking on utorrent/bitcomet icon and start seeding / downloading something. If it won't help, try to shut down the PC and router completely from power cord and re-plug them back after 10 minutes. First plug in to power cord your router and then PC and turn it on.
    And again to no avail unfortunately :(
  • OK. The thing is in MTU ( maximum transmission unit ) you have to change default value from 1500 to find an optimal transmissions amount. It's easy to do so lets start.

    Open CMD by clicking start icon Command Prompt(Admin) and paste this command:

    ping www.google.com -f -l 1500

    If you will see the message like: Packets need to be fragmented but DF set, drop the test packet size down (10 or 12 bytes) and test again, to 1490 - 1480 - ... Drop the test packet size down more and test again until your reach a packet size that does not fragment.

    Once you have a test packet that is not fragmented increase your packet size in small increments (1-2 bytes) and retest until you find the largest possible packet that doesn´t fragment. Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header.

    In my case the latest stable one was 1454 + 28 = 1482 < This is my optimal and workable MTU packets.

    After you found your optimal packet sizes, you need to apply settings to your ( VPN / LAN connection ).

    Open CMD as Admin and type:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Your LAN NAME GOES HERE" mtu=PASTE HERE Optimal value store=persistent

    and press on Enter. Repeat with IPV6 the same command:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "YOUR LAN NAME GOES HERE" mtu=PASTE HERE Optimal value store=persistent
    Repeat all these operations with all network adapters that you have. If you are using PIA it should be called Ethernet2 and Ethernet re-check names in "Open network and sharing center" so these commands will sound something like this :

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1480 store=persistent

    Don't forget to press on Enter after pasting each command to CMD

    After these will be done, re-check if they set correctly by opening command prompt(CMD)as admin again
    and post this:

    netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
    netsh interface ipv6 show subinterfaces

    You should see your values ( that you will set manually by choosing optimal transmission units above )

    I hope your problems will be solved on this.

    Thank you :)



  • Posts: 4,013
    ICMP is a ping. So Irryie is right on this one.
  • Try to disable DHT network in Utorrent / Bitcomet clients. Sometimes it helps to fix connection drop issues.

    Let us know your results.
  • sorry it took so long to get back, alex1911´s MTU fix seems to oddly enough have worked. I say oddly since the value in the that worked for me was 1500(including the +28) but for a few days now i have had no problems :) 

    So awesome job, universe sized thanks for helping me 

    With all my love: Grimm
  • Oh man, alex1911 you are awesome! I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Was looking at switching to a different vpn and tried multiple bit-torrent clients. Found that my optimal MT is 1470. Now that it's set i'm getting DL speeds in the MB/sec instead of low low low KB a second.   :))
  • alex1911, You the real MVP.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 3
    hello guys i came especially to this forum to post my solution to this problem of vpn getting disconnected everytime utorrent was used. i was facing 2 specific problems 
    1. whenever utorrent was switched on after a while vpn got disconnected i got dns error in browser ,i had to disconnect vpn then enable disable tap driver to get it working again ,this happened on random torrrents 
    2. this problem i noticed recently just kept the utorrent switched on no seeding or downloading torrents,after a while got an error in browser that no internet was present 
    i tried a lot of things mention here and on other forums none worked ,i even downgraded the tap driver  but it didn't work .finally i have got a possible solution ,despite using vpn i think torrent somehow bypasses some traffic through actual network adapter,(which explains why some users get copyright notices despite all protection used in pia )it is because of this leakage that this dns error and disconnection happens .i used netbindip and net outgoing ip(advanced features utorrent) to specifically bind the ip address of tap adapter to utorrent .now i can be sure that all incoming and outgoing traffic is routed through vpn only.for second problem what i do is after switching on vpn as soon as i switch on utorrent is bind all incoming and outgoing traffic to vpn so no chance of leakage happening 

    the other advantage is i have enabled dht and used optimum setting on utorrent for speed without compromising on security(all incoming and outgoing traffic is through vpn) .also this serves as a kill switch for utorrent as soon as vpn cuts torrent stops(without using the kill switch of pia)
     in my settings i have only enabled dns protection nothing else and i do not use proxy for utorrents . there has been no leak of my ip and i get excellent speeds on utorrent

    so far i have downloaded 5 torrents and there have been no disconnections .i am still using the older tap driver ,soon  i will change back to latest driver and let everyone know if it changes anything also no changes have been made to my router regarding mtu .i think this would work for majority of people .the only disadvantage is everytime i have to manually set the new ip in utorrent(small price to pay)i am posting 2 links here 

    2. older tap drivers(in case someone needs it) http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/

    Post edited by rambo_1985 on
  • Posts: 1
    I'm on Windows 10 and had the issue described above (qBittorrent killing my VPN connection seconds after starting up). What seems to work for now (connection has been up for nearly 24 hours without dropping) is to uninstall the TAP-Windows driver that came with PIA (9.9.x NDIS5 I think) and get the newest version (NDIS6) from the OpenVPN website here:


    Make sure to uninstall the old version of TAP-Windows first as there is a known issue with upgrading from the old version. Hopefully, this will fix the problem for more people than just me...
  • in continuation to above post i used the latest tap driver from open vpn for windows 8.1 i had a disconnection after running utorrent on vpn downgraded the driver now its functioning smoothly
  • Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem and tried a few solutions.
    The one that worked for me was that provided by alex1911 . 
    My only comment was that I got inconsistent results using www.google.com to check for packet loss, I therefore used www.tp-link.com i.e. ping www.tp-link.com -f -l 1464.
    My MTU was 1464 + 28 = 1492. Once set then everything was fine. Thanks.
    alex1911 said:
    OK. The thing is in MTU ( maximum transmission unit ) you have to change default value from 1500 to find an optimal transmissions amount. It's easy to do so lets start.

    Open CMD by clicking start icon Command Prompt(Admin) and paste this command:

    ping www.google.com -f -l 1500

    If you will see the message like: Packets need to be fragmented but DF set, drop the test packet size down (10 or 12 bytes) and test again, to 1490 - 1480 - ... Drop the test packet size down more and test again until your reach a packet size that does not fragment.

    Once you have a test packet that is not fragmented increase your packet size in small increments (1-2 bytes) and retest until you find the largest possible packet that doesn´t fragment. Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header.

    In my case the latest stable one was 1454 + 28 = 1482 < This is my optimal and workable MTU packets.

    After you found your optimal packet sizes, you need to apply settings to your ( VPN / LAN connection ).

    Open CMD as Admin and type:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Your LAN NAME GOES HERE" mtu=PASTE HERE Optimal value store=persistent

    and press on Enter. Repeat with IPV6 the same command:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "YOUR LAN NAME GOES HERE" mtu=PASTE HERE Optimal value store=persistent
    Repeat all these operations with all network adapters that you have. If you are using PIA it should be called Ethernet2 and Ethernet re-check names in "Open network and sharing center" so these commands will sound something like this :

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1480 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1480 store=persistent

    Don't forget to press on Enter after pasting each command to CMD

    After these will be done, re-check if they set correctly by opening command prompt(CMD)as admin again
    and post this:

    netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
    netsh interface ipv6 show subinterfaces

    You should see your values ( that you will set manually by choosing optimal transmission units above )

    I hope your problems will be solved on this.

    Thank you :)




  • guys well the good news is with all settings above no disconnections have taken place .however i have noticed something unusual while using ip bind for incoming and outgoing connections ,if the ip does not match with the current ip of virtual adapter ther will be a cross displayed in utorrent client on the bottom right half ,meaning no communication can take place by utorrent client however i happened to load a torrent in this config. to my surprise utorrent started downloading clearly meaning that it was bypassing vpn .does anyone have a solution to this except using a vmware ??
  • My packet size which doesn't fragment is 1432.
    So I set the MTU to 1460.
    However, my connection is still dropping pretty soon after starting up my torrents.
    I only use Wifi on my home network.
    Do I need to change the MTU for the Ethernet?
    Thanks

       MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
    ------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
      1460                1     718146     624562  WiFi
      1500                5          0          0  Ethernet 2
    4294967295                1          0      15356  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
      1500                5          0          0  Local Area Connection* 12
      1500                5          0          0  Ethernet
      1500                5          0          0  Bluetooth Network Connection
  • Hi there,

    I'm in trouble with using the torrent clients. Few days ago, when I started qbittorent or utorrent, I was disconnected from the web: it has never happened before. I did not change any settings or hardware. If I don't start the torrent client, the connection to the web is working very well.

    I found this thread and I'm in the same situation that involved Dr.Grimm. But, following Alex1911 wrote to solve the issue, the CMD prompt does not respond, it answered:

    (...) the syntax supplied for this command is not valid (...)

    Could you please help me? Thank you in advance

    image
  • il_mago said:
    Hi there,

    I'm in trouble with using the torrent clients. Few days ago, when I started qbittorent or utorrent, I was disconnected from the web: it has never happened before. I did not change any settings or hardware. If I don't start the torrent client, the connection to the web is working very well.

    I found this thread and I'm in the same situation that involved Dr.Grimm. But, following Alex1911 wrote to solve the issue, the CMD prompt does not respond, it answered:

    (...) the syntax supplied for this command is not valid (...)

    Could you please help me? Thank you in advance

    image
    You got an error in your command. It should be:

    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1460 store=persistent


    Thanks @alex1911
  • @Sandbird you're right but my connection still falling when I start any torrent
  • il_mago said:
    @Sandbird you're right but my connection still falling when I start any torrent
    Same problem here. Disconnected from internet when downloading with the VPN
  • Posts: 4
    All of the sudden the same thing started happening to me today. I've used the same rig with PIA for at least a year without any issues and now whenever I start uTorrent with PIA connected I get a slow spike of kB/s (up to 100-200 kB/s per torrent) before it slowly dwindles down to 0 to 0.1 kB/s and stays there. If I disconnect PIA I immediately start getting my normal rates (10-20 MB/s). What I've tried so far:

    Restarting PIA and rebooting (obviously)
    Tried different PIA connection locations
    Upgraded PIA to v66
    Uninstalled the TAP driver and installed the latest one from OpenVPN
    Set my MTU to 1498 (optimal was 1470 + 28) on all adapters
    Tried limiting active downloads/uploads in uTorrent

    Nothing of this has had any effect. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any clue to what can have caused this, and how to fix it?

    Much appreciated!
  • C:\Users\Jake>netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1506 store=persistent
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    what am i typing wrong?

  • Posts: 4
    Nightside said:
    C:\Users\Jake>netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1506 store=persistent
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    what am i typing wrong?

    Are you sure Ethernet 2 is your correct adapter name? You have to check your adapters under Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings (if you're on Windows).
  • toeggi said:
    Nightside said:
    C:\Users\Jake>netsh interface ipv6 set subinterface "Ethernet 2" mtu=1506 store=persistent
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    what am i typing wrong?

    Are you sure Ethernet 2 is your correct adapter name? You have to check your adapters under Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings (if you're on Windows).
    I was able to find the name and got an "ok" response, but torrents still not working correctly.  Although the internet connection seems more stable, websites still loading too slow or not at all when uTorrent is open. When I close uTorrent, websites load correctly. Am I only supposed to do this to the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 connection?
  • Posts: 4
    Same here, I've fixed MTU and tried several other things listed in my post above, but uTorrent still kills the VPN connection somehow :/
  • Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any tips or pointers?

  • alex1911 said:
    Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header.

    I don't know what alot of this stuff actually does, but just out of interest, why does adding 28 to the optimal max packet size make sense? Shouldn't it be included in the optimal max pocket.
  • Posts: 3
    I was having this issue for a while now and finally managed to fix it.
    At first, simply changing my torrent client from uTorrent to qBittorrent fixed the problem. However, the problem started to appear again. At first, it would happen when downloading from public trackers, but then it happened also with private trackers. My internet would disconnect the second I start the torrent.
    I tried changing MTU values but that didn't help. I even tried a completely new laptop with a freshly installed Windows 10 but still faced the same problem.
    Finally, I changed my connection to TCP over port 443 and haven't had any disconnecting so far. I also have Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection enabled.
    I should also mention that I never faced this issue when downloading using my Android phone, whether choosing UDP or TCP. So I think the problem is with the Windows client.
Sign In or Register to comment.