How to install PIA(Asus RT-AC3200)

Hi,

Before I'll buy the VPN, I want to know how to install it on my router(asus rt-ac3200).
I've the newest firmware, so that must be okay.

Is there a manual for it?

Kind regards

Comments

This is the closest to what you have.
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/tomato-vpn

But I suggest flashing Merlin Firmware on the router. It makes things much easier.

And here is a custom how to guide for once you have Merlin firmware.
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/comment/38064/#Comment_38064
    Vinmor, 

Did you ever figure out how to install PIA on a your ASUS RT-AC3200 using the stock firmware?  I can't even figure out the first step in the link above (where can you write scripts)?  

I love the PIA software, but I want to use a router-based VPN to secure everything.  I am getting really frustrated and customer support is anything but helpful.  Almost every other VPN service has step-by-step instructions.  

With that said, the ASUS stock firmware is really sharp looking.  Can anyone lend any advice (besides flashing the firmware). 

I have it working with the following settings on my Asus RT-AC3200:

WAN settings:
    Connect to DNS Server automatically: No
    DNS Server1: 209.222.18.222
    DNS Server2: 209.222.18.218

imported ovpn file:

client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    remote nl.privateinternetaccess.com 1194
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    tls-client
    remote-cert-tls server
    auth-user-pass
    comp-lzo
    verb 1
    reneg-sec 0

<ca>
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    MIID2jCCA0OgAwIBAgIJAOtqMkR2JSXrMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBQUAMIGlMQswCQYD
    VQQGEwJVUzELMAkGA1UECBMCT0gxETAPBgNVBAcTCENvbHVtYnVzMSAwHgYDVQQK
    ExdQcml2YXRlIEludGVybmV0IEFjY2VzczEjMCEGA1UEAxMaUHJpdmF0ZSBJbnRl
    cm5ldCBBY2Nlc3MgQ0ExLzAtBgkqhkiG9w0BCQEWIHNlY3VyZUBwcml2YXRlaW50
    ZXJuZXRhY2Nlc3MuY29tMB4XDTEwMDgyMTE4MjU1NFoXDTIwMDgxODE4MjU1NFow
    gaUxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlVTMQswCQYDVQQIEwJPSDERMA8GA1UEBxMIQ29sdW1idXMx
    IDAeBgNVBAoTF1ByaXZhdGUgSW50ZXJuZXQgQWNjZXNzMSMwIQYDVQQDExpQcml2
    YXRlIEludGVybmV0IEFjY2VzcyBDQTEvMC0GCSqGSIb3DQEJARYgc2VjdXJlQHBy
    aXZhdGVpbnRlcm5ldGFjY2Vzcy5jb20wgZ8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADgY0AMIGJ
    AoGBAOlVlkHcxfN5HAswpryG7AN9CvcvVzcXvSEo91qAl/IE8H0knKZkIAhe/z3m
    hz0t91dBHh5yfqwrXlGiyilplVB9tfZohvcikGF3G6FFC9j40GKP0/d22JfR2vJt
    4/5JKRBlQc9wllswHZGmPVidQbU0YgoZl00bAySvkX/u1005AgMBAAGjggEOMIIB
    CjAdBgNVHQ4EFgQUl8qwY2t+GN0pa/wfq+YODsxgVQkwgdoGA1UdIwSB0jCBz4AU
    l8qwY2t+GN0pa/wfq+YODsxgVQmhgaukgagwgaUxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlVTMQswCQYD
    VQQIEwJPSDERMA8GA1UEBxMIQ29sdW1idXMxIDAeBgNVBAoTF1ByaXZhdGUgSW50
    ZXJuZXQgQWNjZXNzMSMwIQYDVQQDExpQcml2YXRlIEludGVybmV0IEFjY2VzcyBD
    QTEvMC0GCSqGSIb3DQEJARYgc2VjdXJlQHByaXZhdGVpbnRlcm5ldGFjY2Vzcy5j
    b22CCQDrajJEdiUl6zAMBgNVHRMEBTADAQH/MA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBQUAA4GBAByH
    atXgZzjFO6qctQWwV31P4qLelZzYndoZ7olY8ANPxl7jlP3YmbE1RzSnWtID9Gge
    fsKHi1jAS9tNP2E+DCZiWcM/5Y7/XKS/6KvrPQT90nM5klK9LfNvS+kFabMmMBe2
    llQlzAzFiIfabACTQn84QLeLOActKhK8hFJy2Gy6
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    </ca>

Spent all night trying to get it working as I have the latest update of asuswrt which is restricting merlin or any other update at this time.
    Turns out that it is actually really easy and I got the gist of how to do it off the expressvpn site.

Download the openVPN configuration files here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip
    Unzip a .Opvn file from the download. Each one is for a different location ie US, Aus, UK etc etc.
    Then download the .Crt file named ca.rsa.2048.crt
    And the file named crl.rsa.2048.pem

Go to VPN in the settings on your ac3200
    Click the VPN Client tab.
    Add new profile.
    Select the OpenVPN option.
    Give it a name in the description. Say PIA Aus or PIA UK etc. I named it the same as the .Opvn I selected.
    Put in your user name and password.
    Then where is says import opvn file select the upload file and select the opvn file you unzipped. Hit upload.
    Tick import the ca option and upload the CA. Select the .crt file and upload.
    Then you need to open the .Pem file in notebook or esfile Explorer on a phone and copy all the text.

Where it says manual setting, hit edit. It will bring up a menu with 5 cert boxes. The top one will be pre filled from the crt file. You need to paste the pem file text into the bottom box (cert revocation list) and save.

Ok the settings, then activate the VPN.
    You should get a blue tick to confirm it's active. Test on the PIA website, it should say you are protected.

Hope this helps someone out there. It's cost me a whole night trying to figure out and nothing really helpful came up on google.
    Hey - this worked perfedtly. Thanks.

Is there anyway to monitor the status on your PC - similar to having the icon in the tray when using the PC client?
    There might be a more sophisticated way, but if you just google "whats my ip", it will come up with the IP you are using, if you don't recognize it, just hit one or two of the search links you found, one will give you a geographical location, that should give you a good clue.  Save the search in your favorites or drag it to your desktop if you are the nervous type.
  • There is a company called FlashRouters that supports flashing of this device amongst other routers. If you are afraid of bricking a device, they can always do so remotely.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2
    Corza86- method works perfectly. Thanks dude for your effort. I am using ac-3200, But client support not giving any step by step method for original asus firmware. Any easy method other than openvpn method just simply login using PIA user id and password.
    Post edited by sasi123 on
  • @corza86
    Thanks for the help!
    Does anybody know if this setup will work for the Asus RT-AC3100 as well?
    Did you get an answer, and get it to work? I have a ASUS RT-68U. Santon
  • Thank You Corza86 your instructions links all worked perfectly and now all my devices are confirmed working including FireStick TV and Firebox TV and Protected by PIA
    corza86 said:
    Download the openVPN configuration files here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

Does anyone know if these certificates get updated/changed at all, or are they static?

Well, they are static but can get updated (ie. change)!
    corza86 said:
    Spent all night trying to get it working as I have the latest update of asuswrt which is restricting merlin or any other update at this time.
    Turns out that it is actually really easy and I got the gist of how to do it off the expressvpn site.

Unzip a .Opvn file from the download. Each one is for a different location ie US, Aus, UK etc etc.
    Then download the .Crt file named ca.rsa.2048.crt
    And the file named crl.rsa.2048.pem

Go to VPN in the settings on your ac3200
    Click the VPN Client tab.
    Add new profile.
    Select the OpenVPN option.
    Give it a name in the description. Say PIA Aus or PIA UK etc. I named it the same as the .Opvn I selected.
    Put in your user name and password.
    Then where is says import opvn file select the upload file and select the opvn file you unzipped. Hit upload.
    Tick import the ca option and upload the CA. Select the .crt file and upload.
    Then you need to open the .Pem file in notebook or esfile Explorer on a phone and copy all the text.

Where it says manual setting, hit edit. It will bring up a menu with 5 cert boxes. The top one will be pre filled from the crt file. You need to paste the pem file text into the bottom box (cert revocation list) and save.

Ok the settings, then activate the VPN.
    You should get a blue tick to confirm it's active. Test on the PIA website, it should say you are protected.

Hope this helps someone out there. It's cost me a whole night trying to figure out and nothing really helpful came up on google.

Where/how do I start with troubleshooting this as internet won't load at all despite Connection Status coming up Blue Tick when activating OpenVPN. I can get PPTP & L2TP to work & access net, and while OpenVPN gets a blue tick absolutely nothing will load.

• vm0vm0
    I am using the RT88U which is the same as AC3200 I believe. I tried the steps above from corza but when I activate, not only does it not login, when I check the settings, all the files that I uploaded like the .Opvn, CA file and the pem file that I pasted into the box have disappeared. Pretty frustrating and have not gotten any response from ASUS or any further help from PIA. 

ANyone has this probleM?