Netflix Workaround Found

edited April 2016 in Off-topic Discussion Posts: 5
As a Canadian trying to access Netflix I have now been blocked because the evil-doers at Netflix have discovered that I (and the rest of you) are using a VPN.  However, I have found a workaround for that issue.

First, set up your router to use ww-drt and then set it up to access any of the U.S VPN servers provided by PIA.  Secondly, download PIA's software for your laptop or PC and set it up to use a U.S server as well.  Make sure that both the router is going through the VPN service and also make sure the VPN software on your laptop is also running.  And POW!  Netflix is now available to stream.  I don't know why it works, how it works or if it'll work for you but for me its the solution.  It may have something to do with me going through a VPN twice...once using the router and the second time from my laptop.

Good luck.  Let me know if it works for you.
Post edited by Kodiak on

Comments

This is unusual. But thanks for sharing. If anyone can replicate this, please confirm for the rest of us.

And perhaps we should keep quiet about this. They want to block VPN users, so we should not let them know about any way around them.
  • Is this workaround intended for people who stream netflix through there pc or tv? Im my case I only stream netflix through my sony smart tv.
  • Has anyone got any further updates on this?
    Has anybody tried to do this? Fortunately I use vpn for bypassing Netflix's restriction and I manage to do this all the time. So that's why i will keep secret about your way, and I will use it when sometthing happens.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 103
    This has to be a joke. "Use the VPN twice." Sure. I'll get right on that.

My solution has been to use Amazon Prime Video instead (or BitTorrent). People are trying hard to encourage Amazon to block every VPN, though, so I doubt this will last long.

I don't miss Netflix so far. It used to infuriate me every time I had to drop the VPN just to watch their crap. Then I'd forget to reconnect and get angry all over again.

Yeah, I tried the ironically-named "smart DNS" providers. Didn't do squat.
    Post edited by TimeBomb on