[Reddit] & [IRC] /r/privateinternetaccess and #privateinternetaccess are now live!

edited February 4 in General Privacy Discussion Posts: 183
To our beloved users and fans,

We now have a new subreddit at https://reddit.com/r/privateinternetaccess
Please come join us and participate in discussion, collaboration, support and more on Reddit!

We also have an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net in #privateinternetaccess
Please come join us and participate! :-)

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Post edited by Support on
Tagged:

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 110
    "beloved" ?  <3
    Post edited by m32b64 on
    Support ,  show the love. Devote your time to replying to the users of PIA in this forum instead of f**king around on reddit and irc.
    Why /r/privateinternet/  -- why not /r/PrivateInternetAccess/ which already exists and is a more populated forum dedicated to your service?  Work with the mods there, that seems the best answer.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4
    Gedrean said:
    Why /r/privateinternet/  -- why not /r/PrivateInternetAccess/ which already exists and is a more populated forum dedicated to your service?  Work with the mods there, that seems the best answer.
    Likely because they want full control of it, can't blame them.
    Post edited by Napsterbater on
    m32b64 said:
    Support ,  show the love. Devote your time to replying to the users of PIA in this forum instead of f**king around on reddit and irc.
    This seems to express the sentiment of a great many PIA customers. While the forums here were being neglected by PIA staff for many months that same staff have consistently been Johnie On The Spot when it comes to responding to https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess, ; a SubReddit PIA doesn't have any control over. In response (or should I say reaction?) to having any lack of control over that SubReddit PIA starts their own subreddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/privateinternet ; Quite frankly I find this not just offensive to allow your focus to be taken off providing prompt and competent support on your own forums, but it's also downright stupid. Diluting your resources is not any proper way to run a business. Why not concentrate your resources on your own forums right here?

Please shut down https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess and just ignore https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess/  ; It wasn't ever set up for PIA staff in the first place anyway. Every time we see PIA staff responding in record time on Reddit while you guys just ignore us here you're only pissing us off all the more.

Why do you think your customers are posting on Reddit in the first place? Isn't it obvious? It's because you've already ignored their support tickets, their posts here, etc. Do your job here and do so promptly. Issue refunds promptly when they're reasonably asked for (instead of ignoring them), respond to support tickets promptly (instead of ignoring them). Then you won't find yourself being badmouthed elsewhere.

@sn0wmonster
    tomeworm said:
    m32b64 said:
    This seems to express the sentiment of a great many PIA customers. While the forums here were being neglected by PIA staff for many months that same staff have consistently been Johnie On The Spot when it comes to responding to https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess, ; a SubReddit PIA doesn't have any control over. In response (or should I say reaction?) to having any lack of control over that SubReddit PIA starts their own subreddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/privateinternet ; Quite frankly I find this not just offensive to allow your focus to be taken off providing prompt and competent support on your own forums, but it's also downright stupid. Diluting your resources is not any proper way to run a business. Why not concentrate your resources on your own forums right here?
    We have increased our presence across all platforms relatively around the same time. Haven't you noticed for the past few weeks we reply to almost every single forum thread? This is why I'm here in the first place, and same for @sn0wmonster.

Yes, we know our support has been bad for a period of time. I've already explained the reasons to you in another thread. Because it doesn't look like it doesn't mean we haven't been working our asses off to improve the support situation. The number of support tickets we get is orders of magnitude bigger than the help requests we get on the forums, IRC and reddit combined. When the ticket count is in the 5 digits, priorities have to be established and unfortunately that meant we had to chose between dedicating our resources to our official support channel (support tickets) and less on the forums.

Finding competent staff that can accurately pinpoint complex issues across a dozen platforms and apps all working differently and with their own set of issues and bugs is not a trivial task. Our support is already known to make mistakes because we're on such a tight schedule and often mix up information/still think about the ticket we replied to 5 minutes ago. We want this to get better, not worse because we're too busy on the forums.

Please shut down https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess and just ignore https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInternetAccess/  ; It wasn't ever set up for PIA staff in the first place anyway. Every time we see PIA staff responding in record time on Reddit while you guys just ignore us here you're only pissing us off all the more. 
    It was not initially, but we've talked to the owner of that subreddit and if you look at the sidebar you'll see we're mods there. Another important thing to know is that before we introduced the PIA* accounts and started being more active, the replies you saw there from the staff were mostly unofficial replies on our own free time. I like to reddit on my lunch break, this alone got a bunch of reddit threads answered that normally wouldn't.

Why do you think your customers are posting on Reddit in the first place? Isn't it obvious? It's because you've already ignored their support tickets, their posts here, etc. Do your job here and do so promptly. Issue refunds promptly when they're reasonably asked for (instead of ignoring them), respond to support tickets promptly (instead of ignoring them). Then you won't find yourself being badmouthed elsewhere. 
    That's not true at all. We don't ignore anyone, ever. We have replied, and continue to reply to everyone's ticket. We had up to a whole month of backlog at some point, which is why there was an increase of angry people wondering why they don't get replies. Everyone ended up getting a reply once we got to theirs.

Of course it's a really bad situation to be in, I'm not even trying to say otherwise. We've messed up big time on that one. We still feel the consequences months later and I even personally routinely do a lot of overtime because I care about this. But considering that, it's quite clear why we had to neglect social media for a bit. It's not any use for us to respond fast on the forum if that means people are delayed another day for their refunds as a result.

I fully understand your point of view. I'm in no way trying to downplay this. We've heard you loud and clear, but I want you to understand it's far more complicated than "just be more on the forum". We're working on it, there's a lot of stuff coming in the pipeline but in the meantime all we can do is all hold tight together.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 619
    Max-P said:
    That's not true at all. We don't ignore anyone, ever. We have replied, and continue to reply to everyone's ticket. We had up to a whole month of backlog at some point, which is why there was an increase of angry people wondering why they don't get replies. Everyone ended up getting a reply once we got to theirs.
    Max-P, you and I can go back and forth on this, but I'm not going there with you. Especially you. I don't consider you part of the problem. You've been the most responsive and technically competent PIA staffer I've ever seen. So anything I have to say negative about PIA doesn't apply to you. Had PIA hired ten of you they wouldn't have wound up in the mess they're in. If only the rest of the staff were as responsive here on these forums, and on support tickets. Where they have been responsive is on Reddit. Again, I find that incredibly offensive and stupid.

You can claim they haven't ignored PIA customers, but the evidence is overwhelming they have, and it's been going on for many months. Perhaps they're getting caught up. The problem is, from our perspective, we just can't see it that way.

A typical scenario: A brand new customer follows the instructions for installing and configuring the PIA app but can't get connected. He opens a support ticket. Five days go by and no reply. Nada. Zilch. He panics thinking he's about to get screwed out of his 1 year subscription payment because his 7 days trial period is about to expire. So he requests a refund. Days and days go by without any response. Now he's totally convinced he's been screwed over. So he takes his grievance to Reddit and, viola! An almost instantaneous PIA response!

Can't you see, Max-P, how totally messed up that is? You have your perspective, a perspective that boldly proclaims, "We don't ignore anyone, ever." Sorry but that doesn't square with a mountain of evidence to the contrary. You seem to be missing the perspective that actually counts for something -- the customer's perspective. From the customer's perspective what we're perceiving is that PIA ignores it's customers, at least until we take our issues elsewhere and make them publicly visible. then PIA support goes to great efforts to get the problem resolved. "What's your support ticket number? I'll get right on it." But why should the customer have to complain on reddit to get PIA's attention in the firs place? Many PIA customers have gotten absolutely no response to their trouble tickets. until they take the issue to reddit, and then a PIA staffer immediately jumps right on it. This pattern only confirms in the customer's mind that PIA evidently has adequate support resources (clearly they do since they can studiously monitor two PIA subreddits), but for reasons with defy logic chose to ignore them when the customer follows PIA's established procedures of creating a support ticket. However, support tickets are, for all practical purposes, invisible. Reddit posts aren't.

I could give you multiple other real-life PIA scenarios, just as messed up as the one above. But no need to belabor the point. Why not just at least consider how messed up it was (and still is) that PIA Support made this announcement in the first place? This whole PIA Reddit announcement was entirely reactionary. Having your own dissatisfied customers start a subreddit was no doubt a huge embarrassment. It should have prompted PIA to immediately make dramatic support changes. Instead someone made the brilliant decision to further dilute company resources by setting up yet another PIA subreddit, one being actually controlled by PIA. And to insult our intelligence yet further, PIA spun it as some sort of benefit to the customer.

Adding insult to injury, it wasn't long after this announcement that PIA dropped chat support. And ever ready to dish out the spin, PIA portrayed the loss of chat support, something that most PIA customers greatly valued, as another alleged benefit to the customer.
    We've heard you loud and clear, but I want you to understand it's far more complicated than "just be more on the forum". We're working on it, there's a lot of stuff coming in the pipeline but in the meantime all we can do is all hold tight together.
    Glad to know there's good things in the works. I'm not saying I don't trust you personally, or that I don't trust @sn0wmonster. Both you guys have demonstrated a can do attitude. You're to be commended. But PIA as a company has destroyed it's own credibility. It won't be easy getting it back, let alone winning back the trust of its customers. So pardon me for my cynicism, but I believe it's warranted. And really, Max-P, it's not "far more complicated" than what I've stated. It's a matter of setting company priorities and then executing them in a focused manner. As the old adage goes, "Actions speak louder than words."
    Post edited by tomeworm on
  • @tomeworm

> As the old adage goes, "Actions speak louder than words."

I hope you can also appreciate that's one of the reasons why there's not a lot of talking right now :)

Hang in there, the change is coming.