PIA Doesnt work with AMAZON Firestick

Really surprised how this isn't supported considering just how many firesticks there are out there ?

Surely there is a work around ?

I managed to get PIA installed and it appeared to work i.e. on the app it says connected but when you check your ip on the PIA website it says you are not protected ?

Anybody had any success with this or got a work around .... will consider changing VPN provider if necessary ...

IPVanish appears to have made some progress:

https://support.ipvanish.com/customer/portal/articles/1969134-amazon-fire-tv

Comments

Don't expect "spoon-feeding" Try the search function - loads of discussion on here about getting this to work.
    PiaVipper said:
    Don't expect "spoon-feeding" Try the search function - loads of discussion on here about getting this to work.
    Your right but all I found was use an openvpn router so not the normal PIA app so extra cost and extra boxes plugged in, oh well Now where's that spoon :-)
    Well I must be searching in the wrong places I cannot find a straight forward answer to getting the PIA app to work, well I did get it working just does not change my IP. So if there is an answer that allows the use of the PIA app to not only connect but really work and change IP address please link here for us muppets.
    PiaVipper said:
    Getting PIA app on a stick is not the problem it's once connected your IP remands the same i.e it does not work like it does on the Android Fire TV box so Sticks appear to not be usable with PIA
    Re: New FIRE STICK, PIA Installed. IP DOES NOT CHANGE. I have the exact same problem. Another forum mentioned a possible DNS leak? Not sure how to check for that. To PiaVipper. If you really understand how things work. Please provide some solid guidance. Thanks.
    >>>To PiaVipper. If you really understand how things work. Please provide some solid guidance.

I don't own one but already provided a link.
    If I were you I'd get a Wrt enabled router - the Gl-iNet ones are superb, dummy proof and cheap!

• edited February 8 Posts: 6
    Gonyeye, Well done you have PIA on your fire stick and it connects OK right, but does the IP change look and see on the bottom even when I connected the two IP's were the same - so not workin. Is there also a PIA version that will start full screen I downloaded the latest but that still loads in a oblong box in the middle of the screen
    Post edited by pr1uk on
    Yes, in OpenVPN you can set it to launch at start up, connecting before all other applications do so.
    And yes, the PIA application does not work (or at least, did not do so for me) on the current Amazon Firestick - it would connect, but inevitably freeze immediately after doing so.
  • edited February 12 Posts: 1
    but most important..does the kill switch feature work on the firestick install? without this working you will leave a log of your real ip address behind if you loose connection to the vpn..which does happen. also does anyone know if the pia kill switch feature will work and an android box like an arnu mach 12 ? I would much rather have the app on an android box with ethernet straight to my modem as long as it has the kill switch feature working properly..anyone know if this does work?. I am currently with ipvanish , my connection has to go from my firestick wireless to a virtual router on a pc ( because pc version of ipvanish has kill switch but not the android install) then through the ethernet to my modem in order to be protected by the kill switch feature. If the pia with kill switch cannot be installed and working on a android box, does anyone know then how to connect from the android box with ethernet to a pc with pia installed (so kill switch works) then to the modem via the pcs network adapter protected by pia ? similar to a the virtual router connection with using Ethernet instead. or can pia be installed in the modem protecting all connections going through it. btw, I should mention I have the kill switch working (ipvanish), protecting the firestick connection by having a virtual router on a windows 10 laptop ( where ipvanish is installed) so my firestick connects wireless to the virtual router which has a shared connection with the ipvanish network adapter thus protecting it with all the features available to the pc install including "kill switch" but I would much rather have the app with kill switch on the firestick, android box directly or the isp modem/router.
    Post edited by ilikemovies777 on
  • PiaVipper said:
    >>>To PiaVipper. If you really understand how things work. Please provide some solid guidance.

I don't own one but already provided a link.
    If I were you I'd get a Wrt enabled router - the Gl-iNet ones are superb, dummy proof and cheap!

Got pretty frustrated with trying to get the PIA VPN working correctly on my Firesticks. Took your advice and purchased a Gl-INet AR300M in less than a half hour,I had all my wifi devices behind the PIA VPN. Great little boxes makes us dummies seem like geniuses .Thanks for the recommendation.A fairly inexpensive and great working solution.
  • So, I'm really oblivious and inexperienced with any of this - I'm wanting to get an Amazon Firestick to stream video, and protect all of our devices and the stick at once (ie: using the VPN through my wifi router). So, according to these posts, I'm unable to do so with PIA? What is the Gl-INet AR300M? I looked it up and it's a mini router? I don't know what "spoon feeding" means as in a previous post, but not sure where else to get help. Thanks in advance!
    :) FOUND A SOLUTION (YMMV, of course) :)

1) switch from your current server location (East, California, Florida, etc.) to Texas [Please note: this may or may not be a necessary step, but it worked for me]. My FireTV stick runs on 5ghz wifi.

2) grab a connected tablet, phone, etc. (I have a plain Jane Fire tablet with 2.4ghz wifi) and pick a Prime video of your choice and play it for a while on your linked device.  I was surprised video played on my tablet when using the same network connected to a router running PIA via OpenVPN.

3) after 5 - 10 minutes of playback on tablet, I switched it to my connect FireTV stick.  The video continued to play on the stick right where it left off from my tablet.

4) my test video was only 30 minutes.  after it was completed, I chose a different, unrelated Prime video on my stick.  It played without issue.  in the past 3 days, i have had no issues running other Prime videos without involving another connected device. 

How long will it last?  Who knows.  Good luck.