Bank of America Access

edited September 2016 in General VPN Support Posts: 2
I have been accessing my Bank of America online account for 6 months while using PIA for my VPN. Strangely, I now am not able to access the online account.  There is a message that says something like "Online access is not allowed from your site."  When I called BOA all they could tell me was that using a VPN with their website was problematic.  Is anyone else having this issue?  If so, how do I fix it?
Post edited by sjcord on

Comments

• sjcord said:
    I have been accessing my Bank of America online account for 6 months while using PIA for my VPN. Strangely, I now am not able to access the online account.  There is a message that says something like "Online access is not allowed from your site."  When I called BOA all they could tell me was that using a VPN with their website was problematic.  Is anyone else having this issue?  If so, how do I fix it?
    I cannot comment on other people having the issue as I am not a bank of america customer. But I'm guessing they blocked the IP address of the vpn because of someone else using that same IP to do bad things on the bank of america website. My reccomendation would to be either try a different server or ask about them blocking the IP and ask for them to unblock it.
  • Thanks.  How do I test out different servers at PIA without reinstalling the driver and selecting a new region when the settings menu comes up?  I haven't found a way to select a new region from within the PIA software except on initial install.
  • Switch to a local credit union rather than a crime syndicate. That should do it.
    no access for bofa here.  from mobile app or any computer connected to vpn router.  Evil.  Chase works btw
  • edited April 17 Posts: 1
    I'm in CA.  US CA Region (LA)  is slow around midnight local time so I usually connect to somewhere else.

US East Region (Georgia) does not work for BoA. Mexico Region WORKS.

I'm using MS Win app.  I just bring up the app from the tray and reconnect to Mexico if I need to get onto BoA.

edit: Nix that. It lets you TRY to log in, but says that it is unavailable for your location.
    Post edited by ieRouli on
  • Switch to a local credit union rather than a crime syndicate. That should do it.
    So a customer asks a question about your service and you just throw out some dick response, mocking him?  Is this the kind of service I should expect if I sign up??  Great first impression.  I am also with BofA and if I am unable to access my bank and brokerage accounts through your service I will go with someone else.  I don't need to explain why or justify my life choices to you or anyone else.  So keep your fucking holy water to yourself and answer the damn question.  
    Tried NYC address and it works.  Doesn't work for East Coast, Florida or Midwest.  
    I generally connect via Los Angeles or Silicon Valley and BofA has stopped working on these.  I also tried connecting via Seattle as a test and the connection never went through.  However, the "California" address (173.239.228.53) did allow me to connect.

Instead of outright refusing the connection, I got this message in Chrome:

This site can’t be reached

www.bankofamerica.com took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

and this message in Firefox:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.bankofamerica.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
        If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
        If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

The whole point of a VPN is to protect my privacy online.  I'm trying to have a private connection to my bank.  WTF?
    May not be VPN.  Clear cache. Flush DNS.
    Switch to a local credit union rather than a crime syndicate. That should do it.
    So a customer asks a question about your service and you just throw out some dick response, mocking him?  Is this the kind of service I should expect if I sign up??  Great first impression.  I am also with BofA and if I am unable to access my bank and brokerage accounts through your service I will go with someone else.  I don't need to explain why or justify my life choices to you or anyone else.  So keep your fucking holy water to yourself and answer the damn question.  
    This "Administrator" is an imposter. Check their profile.
  • My VPN was on and I could not even log into BofA either using the website or their App. Of course, turning off the VPN solved the issue. I called the bank and spoke with the Digital Dept. and told me that my VPN will always clash with their overblown security they have in place that is for our protection from hackers and others trying to obtain balance info to general account info. His advice to me was ONLY that I disconnect my VPN before I even type ‘b’ for Bank of America in the URL line since, for me, typing the letter ‘b’ will automatically enter the Bank of America website address. They will do nothing to allow me in with my VPN connected.

Even after I log in, turning on my VPN will cause an immediate disconnect from the bank’s website or connect

• edited September 29 Posts: 84
    Some of our users have found success by using our Google Chrome extension (rather than the regular PIA application) in situations such as these.  

In particular, the Bypass List can be useful for accessing banks. 
    Post edited by PIAAustin on
    PIAAustin said:
    Some of our users have found success by using our Google Chrome extension (rather than the regular PIA application) in situations such as these.  

In particular, the Bypass List can be useful for accessing banks. 
    Bypass List??
  • @CyclingCJ

The Bypass list that PIAAustin is speaking about is a feature on our Chrome extension were you can enter in a sites URL to whitelist or bypass the VPN so that you can access them while remaining connecting to VPN.