Please recommend a good privacy & security site

I would appreciate advice on what site(s) would be a good source of digital privacy and security news and/or advice. I want a good place to learn about the latest breaches, exploits, maybe software or at least OS updates. I am not interested in forums (if I see one more idiot mindlessly use the phrase "security through obscurity," I'm going to lose it). I would prefer a site not tied to a particular vendor, so that every article leads to their solution, and so any problem not solved by their solutions won't be mentioned at all.

Comments

• Please don't recommend this site, nor DarkSecurity.com, which is a total crapfest.
  • Ah, why not just continue to reply to myself? I'm no stranger to soliloquizing!

I've found these to be pretty useful:

Forget Reddit.com. Just forget it.
    While it's not a site, I do like listening to the Risky Business podcast each week. Goes really well, covers a decent chunk of security news. Even the sponsor interviews are still pretty interesting most of the time, I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen.
  • Thanks. I will check it out.

I've since decided I was too hasty about theregister.co.uk. Seems to be run by drug addicts.

HackRead.com is pretty good though. I'm not sure how thorough it is, but even the newsletter function has been good. Every other time I've ever signed up for a site's newsletter, I've gotten 75 spammy and annoying "welcome" emails, then a litany of other bullshit. But with HackRead.com, I just get a small number of simple, nicely-formatted emails that don't even have images to phone home. And just as they said, if they don't have news, I don't get email.

Whether they will hand my email address over to spammers remains to be seen. (I used a unique email address, as always, so I will know.)
  • Thanks. I will check it out.

I've since decided I was too hasty about theregister.co.uk. Seems to be run by drug addicts.

HackRead.com is pretty good though. I'm not sure how thorough it is, but even the newsletter function has been good. Every other time I've ever signed up for a site's newsletter, I've gotten 75 spammy and annoying "welcome" emails, then a litany of other bullshit. But with HackRead.com, I just get a small number of simple, nicely-formatted emails that don't even have images to phone home. And just as they said, if they don't have news, I don't get email.

Whether they will hand my email address over to spammers remains to be seen. (I used a unique email address, as always, so I will know.)

Nobody's mentioned Bleeping Computer yet? Although they cover more computer news than just security threats, they still do a great job at staying on top of the latest exploits, malware, and hacks. I recommend you check them out. They also have a forum (and yes, I saw that you weren't necessarily looking for forums).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

I've heard of BleepingComputer.com, mainly from it coming up in my random search results, though. Thanks.
    Just found https://www.databreaches.net/ and it seems worthwhile.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a different kind of site, but serves a good purpose.
  • I've heard of BleepingComputer.com, mainly from it coming up in my random search results, though. Thanks.
    Glad to help! I've actually been using the Bleeping Computer forums for computer help for years. They're usually pretty helpful. They have a lot of professional IT guys posting daily.