Desktop applications release [v64]

edited December 2016 in Software and System Updates Posts: 122
Yesterday we released a new version (v64) of the PIA client for Windows, macOS, and Linux. As usual, you can download it on the Client Support Page here:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

This release improves the DNS leak protection feature and adds support for the newly released macOS Sierra.

In this release:

* Improved implementation of DNS leak protection.

* Fixed IPv6 leak issues on macOS.

* Fixed multiple encoding-related issues.

SHA-256 Checksums: (also found on our Downloads page)

Windows: a128385f16417e5d2182206125a2d7dd3871632134840d5aff60291e297f3de6
macOS: 4b0ce5caf18ee1107ab7c5ca9720cfa634916ff66586225eff0035d970842e5e
Linux: 7ff4c5b0a7ae93fa2de8f80ae686a8ddc6f4b82b50af105a66cdf5fe34154300
Post edited by doaks on
Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2016 Posts: 4
    Can we please get the sha256 checksums for all three OS versions of the v64 client, posted here? Going forward, it would be good to see these added with the announcement in the forum (or posted to the Client Support page).
    Post edited by Jackdaw on
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4
    On another note: wondering if this version resolves the issue some mac users had been concerned about, in which several prior versions of the PIA client were (seemingly) circumventing System Integrity Protection and disabling the native firewall in Mac OS X?
    Post edited by Jackdaw on
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11
    This should be the correct sha-256 hash. Test it for yourself to make sure.

Edit:
    Windows: a128385f16417e5d2182206125a2d7dd3871632134840d5aff60291e297f3de6
    Linux:   7ff4c5b0a7ae93fa2de8f80ae686a8ddc6f4b82b50af105a66cdf5fe34154300
    Mac:     4b0ce5caf18ee1107ab7c5ca9720cfa634916ff66586225eff0035d970842e5e
    Post edited by Masonjar13 on
  • So still nothing on the ridiculous excessive processes of the PIA app. If you can reduce the amount down from 8 to 4 like it was on the old version (titanium) i'd stop complaining but until that happens i won't !
  • Any chance you can start naming the installer by version number form 0.65!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 122
    Hi Jackdaw,

I've added the checksums to the main post, as well as a link to the Downloads page (which contains checksums and change logs for all new version), thanks.

I've also just talked with our developers. Unfortunately this release doesn't resolve that issue, but it's still on their priority list to address. We'll continue working on it and make sure we include any notices about it in the change logs.

TheImmortal,

Sorry about this. I can't promise anything at this point, but I'll make sure they're aware of your concern.

PiaVipper,

I'll have a talk with our team and we can work out what we want to do here, thanks very much for the suggestion!
    Post edited by doaks on
  • This version completely breaks any DNS settings you have. For instance, you can no longer specify any local DNS resolvers with upstream resolvers. The PIA client seems to connect properly, but nothing gets resolved because it's trying too hard to force the PIA DNS servers. And when it can't override your own DNS settings, well then nothing is going to connect basically. I'm guessing it has something to do with * Improved implementation of DNS leak protection. This has never been a problem until v64. I suggest using v63 until this is resolved.
  • This version constantly disconnects. It hasn't kept connected for longer than 5 minutes so far. I had to revert to the previous version. I'm running Win10. Anybody else experiencing this?
  • @anonyoumous

Welcome to the forum , it would help others if you say what operating system you are using. It works fine on my Linux system by the way .

cheers 

pjnsmb 
  • pjnsmb said:
    @anonyoumous

Welcome to the forum , it would help others if you say what operating system you are using. It works fine on my Linux system by the way .

cheers 

pjnsmb 
    Hi pjnsmb! I assume you are referring to me. As mentioned in my previous post, I am using Win10. I've added some firewall exceptions now and will try installing again. Maybe that will fix it!
  • TwinHero said:
    pjnsmb said:
    @anonyoumous

cheers 

pjnsmb 
    Hi pjnsmb! I assume you are referring to me. As mentioned in my previous post, I am using Win10. I've added some firewall exceptions now and will try installing again. Maybe that will fix it!
    Hallo to you too and welcome - but it was the post above yours that I referred to as I could see you are using Windows 

cheers
  • I upgraded today to version 65. I could still torrent but I could no longer browse the internet. I played with the settings and tried some different servers but nothing helped. I downgraded to version 64 but no improvement. After installing version 63 I could browse the internet again.

I don't know what's wrong with the new updates but I hope the next one will work for me again.

I'm on Windows 7 btw.
  • Going by a few of the comments above, this looks like customer beta-testing. 

Is that unfair or should we not be expecting an application as mature as this to take some time 'in the wild' before users can identify material issues with it?

The tray app's been nagging, but I think I'll wait till the next update (after the first reports on it are in, that is).
  • With v.65, I am also getting constant disconnections after a couple of minutes, I am using Windows 7 SP1, I also have Karsperky Total Security 15, from older threads in this forum, it seems that PIA and Kaspersky don't play well together.
    Anyway, I downgraded to v.63 and installed the old TAP Driver and now almost everything would be fine, only if there wasn't the constant nag about the "new" PIA client.

• What happened to DNS Leak Protection in v.65 too? It's not in the settings dialogue anymore.
  • v65 is pretty much useless. Can't hold any sort of speed. Downgraded back to v63... Any chance you may test before releasing in future. Win 64 7 Pro FP1 on VirtualBox.
  • Wait, why are you announcing v64 but on the download page it says v65?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 45
    Post edited by pjnsmb on

• doaks said:
    Yesterday we released a new version (v64) of the PIA client for Windows, macOS, and Linux. As usual, you can download it on the Client Support
    Daniel, you might ask someone to update all other language versions of your site. So far all sites (except the english one) I checked at least show that still the V63 client is provided (not sure what some get when downloading).
    Ablichter

• edited September 2016 Posts: 7
    lzvk25 said:
    With v.65, I am also getting constant disconnections after a couple of minutes, I am using Windows 7 SP1, I also have Karsperky Total Security 15, from older threads in this forum, it seems that PIA and Kaspersky don't play well together.
    Anyway, I downgraded to v.63 and installed the old TAP Driver and now almost everything would be fine, only if there wasn't the constant nag about the "new" PIA client.

I am experiencing the EXACT same issue. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the DNS. Perhaps it is due to the removal of the DNS Leak Protection feature as pointed out by Admiral_Crunch above. Even when set manually, PIA doesn't play nice with it. Only version 0.63 works reliably with my system. It seems that this is the exact version where DNS leak protection was removed.

I have an extensive ticket regarding problem running with the support team and they were not able to help me so far. Luckily I read the forums though... Perhaps the support team should come around here once in a while as well. If I had known that this was a general issue with the new version, I would not have spent many many hours re-installing PIA and trying to get it to work. From what I can see above, this is clearly a software-related issue...
    Post edited by HeroTwin on
  • p6435869 said:
    I upgraded today to version 65. I could still torrent but I could no longer browse the internet. I played with the settings and tried some different servers but nothing helped. I downgraded to version 64 but no improvement. After installing version 63 I could browse the internet again.

I don't know what's wrong with the new updates but I hope the next one will work for me again.

I'm on Windows 7 btw.
    Same issue here. Neither 0.65 or 0.64 work. Only 0.63.
  • Yep... I'm on XP / WIN 7/ WIN/ 8.1 and same problem. Almost seems like a "loop"? Connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect ad infinitum.
  • This version completely breaks any DNS settings you have. For instance, you can no longer specify any local DNS resolvers with upstream resolvers. The PIA client seems to connect properly, but nothing gets resolved because it's trying too hard to force the PIA DNS servers. And when it can't override your own DNS settings, well then nothing is going to connect basically. I'm guessing it has something to do with * Improved implementation of DNS leak protection. This has never been a problem until v64. I suggest using v63 until this is resolved.
    I'm in the same boat as this guy.  This version totally breaks my configuration and I don't recommend it for anyone who needs to access local network resources while using PIA.
  • I'm not experiencing any disconnects here but I would like to see the DNS Leak Protection feature put back where it was.
  • My DNS isn't working properly with .65. I too have a local DNS resolver for my LAN, but even if I try to configure Windows 10 to use "get automatically" (and give up the benefits of my local, trusted, resolver) it still isn't working right. Back to .63 for me too
    Hi Ablichter,

I've spoken with our team and this should now be resolved. Please let me know if you run into any similar issues.

Everyone,

I'm very sorry about the issues here. I am aware of the problem you're experiencing concerning this sort of DNS setup and I'm looking at it. For now I'd recommend using v63 from out downloads page here until we're able to resolve this, and again I'm really sorry about this.
  • It appears there is no rhyme or reason for client releases. New releases add features no one wants and unnecessarily break stuff. 

I would prefer revising video guides and setup guides that are either outdated or reference unsupported versions.

Internet is changing because companies are blocking VPN IP addresses and geo-blocking. PIA doesn't seem concerned about addressing these challenges. 
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 178

It appears there is no rhyme or reason for client releases. New releases add features no one wants and unnecessarily break stuff. 

I would prefer revising video guides and setup guides that are either outdated or reference unsupported versions.

Internet is changing because companies are blocking VPN IP addresses and geo-blocking. PIA doesn't seem concerned about addressing these challenges. 
    Private Internet access VPN does their very best to provide the best VPN service possible for their customers. I have been a PIA VPN customer for about four years now and I have always received the best service and customer support possible. I don't think that updates to the application are useless, there's always a reason behind them releasing a new update to their client whether it be a new version of OpenSSL or fixing vulnerability there's always a reason. Private Internet access is one of the leading VPN providers in the world with the biggest user base of any other VPN provider. They do their best to maintain their customers privacy and anonymity on the Internet and that's all we can ask. I'm sure they will address the issue of companies blocking the IP addresses in the future hopefully. 

The latest update to the Private Internet Access client (v65) is an update to latest version of OpenSSL, those kinds of updates are needed in order to maintain our anonymity when using the VPN. The previous version of the client (v64) was released in order to fix Security vulnerabilities with the previous releases including an IPv6 vulnerability on MacOS and also added support for the new Mac operating system Mac OS Sierra. Private Internet Access VPN has always addressed security vulnerabilities when they are present within their service.

I'm sure that the developers have been made aware of the growing issue of VPN IP addresses being blocked by corporations such as a target and others. They have always addressed these issues when they are presented to them and it may take a while but they will figure something out.

Post edited by OpenVPN on
  • pwkpwk
    Went back to v63 because v65 was having disconnecting fits.  v65 would randomly fall into a disconnect/reconnect loop.  Went back to v63 and it is working flawlessly.  Now the annoying nag to upgrade is popping up often and disabling desktop notifications does not stop the nag nag nag nag.  One nag to upgrade at startup is enough.  Fix the bugs if you want to nag me to upgrade a millionbilliontrillion times.  Windows 7 x64
    pwk said:
    Went back to v63 because v65 was having disconnecting fits.  v65 would randomly fall into a disconnect/reconnect loop.  Went back to v63 and it is working flawlessly.  Now the annoying nag to upgrade is popping up often and disabling desktop notifications does not stop the nag nag nag nag.  One nag to upgrade at startup is enough.  Fix the bugs if you want to nag me to upgrade a millionbilliontrillion times.  Windows 7 x64
    Try completely uninstalling V65 from your Windows machine with the instructions shown here

Once you have uninstalled private Internet access VPN from your machine restart your computer to make sure all private Internet access files are purged from your system. Once your computer restarts please download the latest version of the software again from this page https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/ if the problem occurs again please send the support team a debugging log