iOS speed issues. PIA just not worth it.

Based on recommendations I purchased a year subscription to PIA. I have to admit, the speed issues I read about before joining I thought were just sporadic for some customers. I was wrong. The speeds I get with the iOS client are absolutely horrendous. Choosing the server with the lowest ping makes no difference. Just loading basic sites can takes 5-10x longer. Not what I was expecting. Poor service PIA. You won't stay in business long with this type of customer experience.

Comments

• Hello Shamus,

Thanks for reaching out regarding this concern, we value everyone of our customers & this surely is not the impression we wish to leave with any customer.

That being said, we would encourage you to send an e-mail tohelpdesk@privateinternetaccess.com with the subject line as "ATTN SMR" and we will ensure that our agents get in touch & work to resolving this with you as soon as possible.

• It would be nice if Pia had in place on there web page the status of there servers.
    It would be nice if Pia had in place on there web page the status of there servers.
    It sure would. I am so regretful I signed up for this service. Totally disappointed. I've been working in tech all my life, so it's not a matter of me not know what to do. I am not alone in this complaint. :-( 
    shamus said:
    It would be nice if Pia had in place on there web page the status of there servers.
    It sure would. I am so regretful I signed up for this service. Totally disappointed. I've been working in tech all my life, so it's not a matter of me not know what to do. I am not alone in this complaint. :-( 
    Nope, you're definitely not alone. As is the case with the PIA app for OSX the iOS app is garbage. Wait. No. It's even worse than the OSX app. So what's worse than garbage?

At best I get 1/2 the download speed using the PIA iOS app vs. OpenVPN, and usually much worse than that. No big deal to me there since I also use an OpenVPN app (Viscosity) on my Mac. But at least the PIA OSX app doesn't slow me down anywhere near as bad as the iOS app does. Worse yet it only supports IPsec.
  • edited April 1 Posts: 1
    Guys, I have no clue what you are babbling about. I just signed up for PIA service not 20 minutes ago. I am running an iMac 27" with Sierra and PIA out of the box app. Spectrum provides me with 60Mbps. I clocked 65Mbps before I activated the VPN. While enabled, I am clocking 62.9Mbps.
    I think y'all need something else to complaint about, seriously.
    BTW: I should also disclose I have the encryption cranked all the way up: AES-256,SHA256,RSA-4096
    Post edited by p4182121 on
    p4182121 said:
    Guys, I have no clue what you are babbling about. I just signed up for PIA service not 20 minutes ago. I am running an iMac 27" with Sierra and PIA out of the box app. Spectrum provides me with 60Mbps. I clocked 65Mbps before I activated the VPN. While enabled, I am clocking 62.9Mbps.
    I think y'all need something else to complaint about, seriously.
    BTW: I should also disclose I have the encryption cranked all the way up: AES-256,SHA256,RSA-4096
    Babbling?

Anyway, glad to hear you're not having any problems. Count yourself fortunate. I've been using PIA for several years and seen many people with legitimate issues. Unlike you I've refrained from mocking them.

In the future you might want to post your comments in a thread that's on-point to your own OS. Posting about OSX in an iOS thread doesn't help anyone.
    I have signed up the PIA thru 9To5 deal. I can confirm that it runs 2/3 slower on the download when I connect to the VPN CA site (already picked the least ping time). before I connect to VPN, it clocks to 15Mbp; and when I connect to VPN, it clocks to 4.x-5Mbp. However, the upload speed is better when I connect to the VPN thou.

I will see. I do not really use my cell phone to stream, but i will use it in case i am on the road, or use some wifi hotspots in coffee shop. (I have unlimited data and I am not concern about using a lot on the data, but do want to have a VPN protection if I need to).