Add future to defeat VPN blocking

@doaks, Is Private Internet Access VPN going to add a feature that defeats VPN blocking? Adding a feature such as this one would help some individuals that are trying to connect to your service from inside China and other places where governments are very restrictive when it comes to the internet. I've also noticed that Target has blocked all us-based VPN IP addresses for your VPN. This feature should be able to hide the OpenVPN signature making VPN connections harder to detect and and therefore will be almost impossible to block.

Comments

• If the PIA IPs have been blocked no obfuscation will get around it. That said, obfsproxy would be nice addition.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 178
    If the PIA IPs have been blocked no obfuscation will get around it. That said, obfsproxy would be nice addition.
    @doaks, Private Internet Access VPN needs to add stealth servers with built-in obfsproxy and new IP addresses. More companies are blocking VPN IP addresses and as a result of this people do not have a free unlimited Internet. What does Private Internet Access VPN plan to do about this growing problem???
    Post edited by OpenVPN on
    Hi guys,

There are some separate issues here, which can confuse talks about this.

However, we are certainly testing and looking at both of these issues to try to improve things for our customers. While I don't have much news right now, you can rest assured that we are evaluating it and looking further into this as we go forward.
    doaks said:
    Hi guys,

There are some separate issues here, which can confuse talks about this.

However, we are certainly testing and looking at both of these issues to try to improve things for our customers. While I don't have much news right now, you can rest assured that we are evaluating it and looking further into this as we go forward.
    When you have more information on this topic please let us know. I would like to know how Private Internet Access is going to handle the growing problem of Governments and website owners blocking PIA Gateways and IP Addresses.
  • I know I can't login to Cox when I'm connected to PIA. Have to disconnect each time I need to login to Cox. Kind of annoying.
    This is definitely something I'd like to see PIA address because the amount of websites that block VPNs seems to increase every day. In the mean time, is there anything we can do to bypass this other than turn the VPN off?
  • I found that sometimes changing proxy location helped. MLB blocked the US servers but not Canadian. Probably able to with greater corporate control in US around sports (and everything else).
    Private Internet Access has the largest network of servers of any other virtual private network in the world. Adding a feature to defeat VPN blocking would really appealing to individuals in countries where OpenVPN connections are blocked such as China for example. As of right now in China the only VPN connections that work without being blocked are L2TP and PPTP which are insecure protocols. Everyone knows China is the surveillance machine and these insecure protocols will not keep individuals secure if someone wants to speak truth to power.
    Cox Cable current Policy is to Throttle PIA VPN users to 1Kb/s. This effectively kills the use. But they can say they don't block PIA usage.
  • It seems like all of this blocking is based on IP Address. This is problematic for IPv4 because there is a very limited amount of IPv4 addresses in existence. However, with IPv6, there are so many addresses that it would be nearly physically impossible to block them all. In the very least, it would be extremely difficult for even governments (such as China) to block them all due to the fact that it would be hard to tell which IPs are bad and good. Not to mention that I was told that IPv6 IPs are assigned randomly. There is no more regionalization of IPv6 IPs like there is of IPv4 IPs. If that's true, then IPv6 would be even harder to block.

So wouldn't upgrading to IPv6 help solve some of our problems? Any comments about this would be much appreciated.
    larger organizations are moving from IP based blocking to profile blocking. PIA is an OpenVPN based VPN, OpenVPN has a unique profile that tells its OpenVPN which can not be anything else except a VPN so an IP address doesn't matter.