Routers with built-in VPN client compatibility

abadguy87
abadguy87
Posted on in Other Devices VPN Setup
Hello, I'm planning to change my router and I'd like to get one (Asus or Netgear) that natively support VPN client setup so that I don't have to flash it with any external firmware to run with PIA. What high level models can you suggest? Thank you.Posts: 2

Comments

• VPNUSR
    VPNUSR
    Posted on Posts: 13
    ASUS DSL (or RT) AC68U is a great model... I have 2.

PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS (PIA)

ASUS DSL-AC68U & RT-AC68U (and similar models) WRT VPN Setup Guide

NOTES FROM ASUS:

·     VPN (Virtual Private Network) clients are often used to connect to a VPN server to access private resources securely over a public network.

·     Some devices like set-top boxes, smart TVs and Blu-ray players do not support VPN software.

·     The ASUSWRT VPN feature provides VPN access to all devices in a home network without having to install VPN software on each device.

BEFORE DOING ANY VPN SETUP – Back Up your Current Settings and Upgrade your Asus Firmware

1.               Log into the Router Admin and go to the Administration Tab.

2.               Backing Up Router Settings (also Back Up Router Settings after setting up VPN Configuration):

a.      Click on Administration and go to the Restore / Save / Upload Settings Tab and save the settings to your computer, renaming this configuration file is advisable.

b.      In case you ever lose settings or your router is reset, you can load any previously working settings back from this same page.

3.               Check Firmware Version and follow the steps to download latest version file and update.

a.      Do not proceed with VPN Setup if router does not update to the latest firmware version. (Continued...) 

• VPNUSR
    VPNUSR

ASUS-WRT PIA VPN Setup:

1.        About your Router:

a.      If you reset your router then you will need to complete the VPN setup again (or restore from your saved Configuration File).

2.        OPEN VPN – PIA CONFIGURATION SETTINGS:

a.      Login to the PIA website to verify your username and password.

b.      Download .ovpn configuration files and ca.crt file here:

http://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

i.    Use NotePad to open files in Windows or use TextEdit to open files in MacOS 

c.      Access the router settings in a browser to change or update VPN settings (on your LAN – your router will lilely have an IP Address something like 192.168.1.1). You will also need your Admin Username and Password.

d.      WAN Settings: From the main menu on the left under Advance Settings choose the WAN tab and set as follows:

i.    PVC Setting

1.      WAN Connection Type PPPoE

2.      Enable WAN – Yes

3.      Enable NAT – Yes

4.      Enable UPnP – Yes

i.     802.1Q

1.      Enable – Yes

2.      VLAN ID – 101

3.      802.1P – 0

ii.     WAN IP Setting

1.      Get the WAN IP automatically – Yes

iii.     WAN DNS Setting

1.      Connect to DNS Server Automatically – No

2.      DNS Server 1 – 208.67.222.222 (Open VPN). Or alternately 8.8.8.8 (Google)

3.      DNS Server 2 – 208.67.220.220 (Open VPN). Or alternately 8.8.4.4 (Google)

iv.     Your Internet Server and Account settings will remain the same… your ISP provider has these details. (Continued...) 

• VPNUSR
    VPNUSR

a.      From the main menu on the left under Advanced Settings choose the VPN tab.

i.     Choose the VPN Client Tab (the VPN Server settings should all be left OFF)

ii.     Under the VPN Server List add a new profile configured as follows:

1.      Name your Settings Configuration – I use PIA Open VPN

2.      Insert your main PIA Username and Password.

3.      Click the button to Import / Upload the .open VPN file / server you want to use.

Ø  This will be located where you downloaded the openvpn folder and files from PIA to. Choose any server/location file with the .ovpn extension that you wish from within the folder.  (The locations are in the filenames)

4.      Click the button to Import / Upload the CA File (Certificate) manually. This opens a more detailed dialogue.

Ø  The Certificate files are also located in the openvpn folder and files that were downloaded from PIA. Look for the .crt extension.  

5.      Import / Upload the CA (.crt) File (Certificate).

6.      Click to Edit the settings manually.

7.      Copy the entirety of the .crt file that was opened in in Text Editor or NotePad. (Use Ctl A to copy and Clt V to paste).

8.      Paste the entire text into the top field Certificate Authority (including the -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE----- portions of the text).

9.      Click OK / Save at the bottom of the manual settings window.

10.    Click OK / Save at the bottom of the OpenVPN window as you back out of settings.

11.    Activate the Connection and check Connection Status. You should see a blue checkmark.

Ø  You should now see the checkmark and have a working PIA OpenVPN connection on your Asus Router.

12.    Go back to the Network Map (homepage) for your Asus Router. Check the connection status in the top right corner. If you want to, you can reboot the router from here and make sure all of the settings are fully set. If you have any trouble with restart… be very patient and wait a good long time until it has had plenty of time to sort itself out, then if it still does not restart, power off and power on again… it should be working after rebooting (again – be patient. (Continued...) 

• VPNUSR
    VPNUSR

1.        ALTERNATE VPN CONFIGURATION - PIA PPTP settings:

a.      IMPORTANT: Be sure you do not use OpenVPN and PPTP connection protocols at the same time on your router.

b.      Open the PIA website and log into your account, then scroll down and in the PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password section click Generate Username and Password.

c.      Use the same WAN settings as in 2.d. above.

d.      In the Asus Router settings click on the VPN tab, then VPN Client, then add a profile for PPTP from the tabs in the window that opens when adding a profile.

e.      Choose a Name for this configuration… (best to use PPTP as part of the name).

f.       In the VPN Server field enter any of the PIA PPTP server address that are in the openvpn folder previously downloaded from PIA (same one as for the OpenVPN server addresses). For example: US East.ovpn or US Silicon Valley.ovpn

g.      Username and Password: Enter your PIA PPTP specific Username and PPTP specific Password.

i.                This is the login information you just generated on the PIA website.

h.      In the PPTP Options field set it to MPPE 128.

i.       Click OK / Save.

j.       Go back to the Network Map (homepage) for your Asus Router. Check the connection status in the top right corner. Reboot the router from here and make sure all of the settings are fully set. If you have any trouble with restart… be very patient and wait a good long time until it has had plenty of time to sort itself out, then if it still does not restart, power off and power on again… it should be working after rebooting … be patient!

2.        General Tips and Troubleshooting for PIA:

You are guaranteed to lose some connection speed when you connect to a VPN provider. Data is often being sent across countries, and then encrypted and sent back. There should still be plenty of speed to visit websites and stream video as you like. We recommend always using the closest server to you geographically for the best VPN connection speeds.

I have been getting download speeds of 2.5 Mbs with the OpenVPN configuration above on a BT VDSL Fibre Line.

a.      If you notice slow speeds try different VPN server locations or the alternate PPTP VPN configuration to see which settings work best in your specific location.

NOTE: This information is offered freely in goodwill and in the hopes of assisting others that have not been able to obtain any support or find settings for these common, fast and robust routers (as I was unable to find). Users do so at their own risk and I take no responsibility for any user problems that may occur.

GOOD LUCK!!