ANYONE HAVING TORRENT SLOWDOWNS PLEASE READ THIS!!
so for months and months ive been experiencing HUGE torrent slowdowns while using PIA VPN.
I have virgin media 100mb fibre at home and usually without PIA VPN i get download speeds of between 9.0MB/s and 11.5MB/s which is what I would expect.
with PIA VPN enabled i usually struggle to reach 1.5MB/s. After ripping my hair out for months and a lot of communication with PIA customer support (who to be fair to them have done the best they could),,,
SUCCESS, IM NOW DOWNLOADING TORRENTS AT 10MB/s through PIA VPN!!!
I came across the solution randomly today while reading a forum post about how to get a torguard socks5 proxy working...
1) make sure you are disconnected from the PIA VPN
2) go into utorrent and go to: Options ---> Preferences
3) click on "Bandwidth" on the left hand side and find a checkbox that says " Apply rate limit to uTP connections" and UNCHECK IT
4) now click on "Bittorrent" on the left hand side and find another checkbox that says "Enable bandwidth mangemnet (uTP)" and UNCHECK THAT TOO
5) reconnect to a port forwarding server and sort out port forwarding in utorrent.
6) start downloading a torrent and hopefully it will go to your full line speed
I dont know if this will work for anyone else but it was the ONLY thing after months of investigation that worked for me so please let me know in a comment if it works