Utorrent slow because of utp bandwidth management

Hey... this should be the first sticky in all the support forums. I had slow torrent traffic when connected to vpn. Like 1MBps when I should get 8MBps. Then I ran steam and it was slow too when downloading games.

I thought I was being throttled by pia. Or the exit node... so I close utorrent and observe. Well now the steam download jumps to 8mbps!!! I open utorrent again and steam is back to 1mbps again. I repeat the test a few more times and it is confirmed. I'm being throttled (wait for it).

I'm not sure what I did next, but when going to utorrent settings I tried to unselected things like peer exchange and dht ***and "enable bandwidth management (utp)" . Once that was done, both torrent and steam were at full speed. Total 8mbps.

So long story short, utp is a local throttle for you own pc... somehow enabling that in utorrent throttles your whole network because it thinks that will help with network congestion.

I also had some old UTP config in utorrent from like 3 years ago before I had a vpn. Those were forcing only utp connections I think. Reset your utorrent to defaults and then disable that utp bandwidth management today!!!

Comments

incon said:
    Hey... this should be the first sticky in all the support forums. I had slow torrent traffic when connected to vpn. Like 1MBps when I should get 8MBps. Then I ran steam and it was slow too when downloading games.

I thought I was being throttled by pia. Or the exit node... so I close utorrent and observe. Well now the steam download jumps to 8mbps!!! I open utorrent again and steam is back to 1mbps again. I repeat the test a few more times and it is confirmed. I'm being throttled (wait for it).

I'm not sure what I did next, but when going to utorrent settings I tried to unselected things like peer exchange and dht ***and "enable bandwidth management (utp)" . Once that was done, both torrent and steam were at full speed. Total 8mbps.

So long story short, utp is a local throttle for you own pc... somehow enabling that in utorrent throttles your whole network because it thinks that will help with network congestion.

I also had some old UTP config in utorrent from like 3 years ago before I had a vpn. Those were forcing only utp connections I think. Reset your utorrent to defaults and then disable that utp bandwidth management today!!!
     Thankyou!! worked like a charm I was having the same issue and this fixed it perfect.