Desktop applications release [v66]

A short while ago we released a new version (v66) of the PIA client for Windows, macOS and Linux. As usual, you can download it on the Client Support Page here:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

This release resolves most of the DNS issues that people were seeing, and re-introduces the DNS Leak Protection option under Windows. In addition, this release lets you select languages other than English for the app interface. We'll detail the new port forwarding API in a separate thread for everyone.

In this release:
  • Multi-language support. You may now choose from 17 different languages
  • Switch to new port forwarding API
  • Fixes for Ubuntu 16.10 and macOS Sierra
  • Fixed: 'Start application at login' not working at times
  • Fixed: UI-related issues in the settings window
  • Windows: DNS leak protection can be disabled when use of custom DNS servers is required
  • macOS: The app can now be launched with Siri on macOS 10.12 Sierra
SHA-256 Checksums: (from our Downloads page)

Windows: ce691607a9102503df8a60bf8dddf0878b76367c7a2a0c0a6ef79698c276c66a
macOS: 729438d8055d82d396bf40c4c7ea6be800cff5b209fd3c23f78c35552e271ee5
Linux: 60e9b8f631a76ca84f139a602f241006d4493188439b1927c09963226357fa72
Tagged:

Comments

• Tried installing over V63 on Windows 7, installs OK, no internet access from browser, looks like no dns?

Removed all including tap9, reboot, install clean, same thing, no internet access from browser.  Removed all, reinstalled V63, works fine again

>
    • Switch to new port forwarding API
    Any more information on that ?  
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1
    tried installing this but it never extracts anything get a popup showing extracting but closes instantly so had to revert back to old version

this is the windows version
    Post edited by Dark_N1ghtmar3 on
    Hi BobP,

Hmm, that's strange. Could you please open up settings (by right-clicking on the tray icon and selecting Settings), then change the "DNS Leak Protection" option to the opposite of what it currently is (i.e. if enabled, disable it. if disabled, enable it). Try connecting after that and see how it goes.

Otherwise I'd suggest either staying with the release that works for now, or reaching out to our support team with an email to support@privateinternetaccess.com so we can help you further.

With regards to the port forwarding API, there definitely will be! I'll be posting a new thread detailing the API very soon so that extensions and scripts can take advantage of the new changes as well.

Hi Dark_N1ghtmar3,

I'm very sorry about the issues. After showing that popup the newest version of the PIA app should be installed. Could I please ask you to right-click on the installer and select Start as Administrator, and then afterwards try opening the PIA App from the Start menu?

That should get you sorted with the newest version, but if you still run into trouble it would be best to reach out to our team at support@privateinternetaccess.com so we can take a closer look at what's going on.
  • Hey Daniel-

Toggling DNS Leak Prevention made it work
  • I am getting DNS errors (already tried re-installing TAP)

Hi macclad,

I'm sorry you're running into these issues! Could I please ask you to open up settings (by right-clicking on the tray icon and selecting Settings), then change the "DNS Leak Protection" option to the opposite of what it currently is (i.e. if enabled, disable it. if disabled, enable it). Try connecting after that and see how it goes.

Otherwise, please feel free to reach out to our team with an email to support@privateinternetaccess.com so that we can help work out what's going on here.

BobP,

That's great to hear! I'll probably end up writing a help center article that goes through this, testing to make sure you're secure and all. Thanks very much for letting me know that worked though.
  • >I'll probably end up writing a help center article that goes through this

Please write the API post first :-)
    BobP,

Definitely, will do! :)
  • When I try to install on Linux Mint, I get the error:
    ./pia-v66-installer-linux.sh: 3: ./pia-v66-installer-linux.sh: ./installer_linux/run.sh: Permission denied

Installed over V53 in Linux Mint 17.2. Seemed to install fine and every thing looks great but it refuses to connect. I then tried V62-65 with the same result. I have a second computer with V53 installed and it continues to work fine. Is there a way to get a copy of the V53 installer so I can try it on the broken computer? I've looked for it on all my computers but I don't have it. I would really like to get this computer going as it is my main one. I tend to dislike updates of any thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Under OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) the PIA client is 'stuck' with "Loading" greyed-out and 'Help" & 'Quit' the only other options from the icon in the status bar.  This happened a couple of versions ago also, as I recall.
  • edited January 3 Posts: 264
    @doaks and @Max-P, I would like to see an update to the PIA application in the near future that will allow users to view their upload/download speeds when connected to the VPN. Perhaps maybe the upload/download speed stats should sit right next to the PIA icon in the menu bar, I would think that solution would be more practical than placing the stats in the settings menu.  I would also like to see Touchbar functionally on the new MacBook pro in the near future (if possible). I'm not sure how you would want to implement Touchbar functionally but I believe that it would be a nice idea to include that in a future release. 
     One more feature witch I believe would be beneficial for the service is Talkback (making the VPN software give voice feedback when connected or disconnected.)

I've been testing v66 on Mac since its release and so far I have found no issues with the application when its running on MacOS. I will continue to test each version of the application after an update and I will report an issues to the tech support team for further investigation. Thanks for listening to my suggestions and I hope to see some (if not all) implemented in a future release of the software.

Thanks! 

Post edited by OpenVPN on
    [quote]upload/download speed stats[/quote]

Conky for Linux
    Rainmaker for Windoze
    Geektool for mac
    Fresh install on Linux Mint 18.1, works great.
    wilberfan said:
    Under OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) the PIA client is 'stuck' with "Loading" greyed-out and 'Help" & 'Quit' the only other options from the icon in the status bar.  This happened a couple of versions ago also, as I recall.
    I had to delete v65 using AppCleaner, then reboot and reinstall v66 before it would load properly.  I think things are back to normal now...
    I am having the same issues as macclad, I am using Windows 7 SP1, I enabled and disabled the "DNS Leak Protection" each time trying to connect and disconnect, I also uninstalled the "New" Tap driver and installed v9.0.0.9 of the Tap Driver and still nothing worked.

So, as what has become a usual task with the last 3 versions, uninstalled PIA Client v6.6 and reinstalled v6.3 along with v9.0.0.9 of the Tap Driver.

Have you tested properly the new client on a Windows 7 machine ? Specially one with Kaspersky antivirus ? I have read in other forums that Kaspersky does not play well with the new tap driver, and if you based your new client around this new tap driver, probably this won't work ever.

Why can't you go back to v6.3, where everything was working correctly ? Don't you keep a backup of your code ?

And how can we get rid of these really annoying reminders of new faulty versions ?

• lzvk25 said:
    Have you tested properly the new client on a Windows 7 machine ?
    Works fine for my installation of Windows 7.

lzvk25 said:
    Kaspersky
    Malwarebytes v3. No conflicts, very rare false-positives (I've had one, I believe, on version 1, maybe 2).

lzvk25 said:
    Why can't you go back to v6.3, where everything was working correctly ? Don't you keep a backup of your code ?
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/downloads

lzvk25 said:
    And how can we get rid of these really annoying reminders of new versions ?
    Notification options/filters would be nice.
  • edited January 11 Posts: 9
    Edit: support message sent and staff are looking at this issue.

Still a dead spot for me on the server menu after choosing "more" and trying to connect to the second server down on that subsequent list which is AUSydney for me. 1366x768 resolution running Xubuntu 16.04 on a 15" screen. This is not an issue on a similar setup with 1920x1080 on a 24 inch screen. Dead spot meaning nothing happens upon clicking or pressing enter after selecting that server. Only way is to connect to that server is disconnect, change region to AUSydney in the settings panel, exit the client and restart.

On a brighter note, the systemd shutdown process now works with the PIA client active, without the need to wait for the "stop job" to finish after 1:30's which was caused by not exiting PIA client before shutdown was initiated.
    Post edited by fancyletterbox on
  • edited January 16 Posts: 1
    This issue is very new but I'll try it
    When I enable "DNS leak protection", it functions as if the setting was "Disable DNS resolution completely" instead.
    otroko,

I'm very sorry about this, as far as I know we bundle required deps so LTS should work fine. Regardless, I'll ask the team to look over it and ensure we test it on this OS version going forward if we're not already.

Administrator,

Hmm, that's unfortunate. Could I please ask you to ensure that your machine is using the PIA DNS servers? If it's not, which can be the case under some unique Windows setups, leak protection can have this effect. Can you please run through the steps in this article:

After that you should be able to enable DNS leak protection successfully.

Please let me know how this goes, and whether you run into any further troubles with it.

Regards,
  • edited January 26 Posts: 1
    Can you guys PLEASE display the forwarded port somewhere other than the icon tooltip? I'm using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS and there's absolutely no way for me to figure out what the forwarded port is when enabling port forwarding. Putting a forwarded port display box inside the control panel or something of the pia app would be the solution imo.

Other than that the app works great
    Post edited by ThunderThighs on
    Hi ThunderThighs,

I'm sorry you're running into this issue, that's very interesting. Testing that OS here, I can see what you mean. I'll talk to the team about making this easy to find for systems like this -- thanks very much for your feedback!

Regards,
  • edited February 2 Posts: 4
    I also frequently run into the DNS resolution issues mentioned above. PIA connects successfully and everything loads fine for a while, but randomly the DNS pop up. The connection is fine because established connections continue to work, but new connections don't resolve until I either disconnect/reconnect or just wait for 15-20 minutes. - Windows 10 x64 - PIA v66 w/MACE enabled, DNS Leak Protection enabled - PIA DNS addresses are being used both before and after the DNS issues begin, as well as when the issue resolve after 15-20 minutes. I need this resolved. The recommendations or disabling or enabling DNS Leak Protection are side-stepping the actual issue.
    Post edited by v75VUkY7vDYz5 on
  • about a few times a week. PIA will disconnect from the server and give me an invalided TAP driver (windows 10) I've even installed the one from OpenVPN and still no luck.
    No German servers when using Linux, on windows ok though.
    I just downloaded the new PIA version and with DNS leak protection enabled my connection is unusable it is so slow.  With it disabled it is fine.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I'm on Windows 10 and never had this issue previously.
  • edited March 17 Posts: 8
    p2200237 said:
    I just downloaded the new PIA version and with DNS leak protection enabled my connection is unusable it is so slow.  With it disabled it is fine.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I'm on Windows 10 and never had this issue previously.

I will give it a shot still on 65 here because 66 never worked right on Windows 10 for me figured it is time to update my PIA, Malwarebytes Corporate just blocked outgoing PIA IP addy which has never happened stopped it as malicious before it reached destination.
    Post edited by auser88 on
  • edited March 17 Posts: 8
    p2200237 said:

Better than anything so far after version 65 still weird ever since the interface and DNS protection was changed 66 and 67 were no go crapola for me on Windows 10 Pro 64bit current, even dropped down and tested it on 8.1 running a triple boot of 7, 8, 10 here.

I have to force DNS protection on this version as well because it leaks my DNS all over the place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also slower than 65, slower connecting big time, takes me about 60 seconds or so before I can connect to a actual website after PIA is established and fully loaded.

The IP blocked right before coming here and upgrade is a PIA IP / .exe outgoing blocked by Malwarebytes Corporate one heck of a program to trigger on IP Block

---------------------------------
    Malwarebytes Corporate (up to date and LEGAL version)

IP-BLOCK    1--.---.-- (Type: outgoing, Port: 6-----, Process: rubyw.exe)

Ruby is so old and junk but PIA is best in VPN so love it or hate it everything will have a quirk at some point but seems ruby needs replaced.

-----------------------------------

As far as speed I am on totally different servers so far than on version 65 this first one has a high MS speed for is near normal 85mbps down / 89mbps up

Dedi 100mbps Connection that barely dwendles on 99.9% uptime never seen this service go dead or have interruptions the whole service area and everything is top of the line backed up x backed up connectivity. Even google cannot match our speeds and uptime and no one else in the state. But still mid area contracted them out to try to compete with our net for 100s of million and still won't make it. I am on the standard pack @ 100mbps full throttle
    Post edited by auser88 on