Installing PIA on Amazon FireTVstick
So I've been noticing some people trying to figure a way of installing PIA on an Amazon FireTVstick (FTVS), myself included (Assuming you are putting PIA for reasons, *cough* Kodi *cough*).
I want to say for the record, that I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 FTVS.
The way I installed it was using my Gen 2 FTVS, a "cloud" account (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc), computer.
First thing I did after the standard setup process (Logging into Amazon account, setting up Wi-FI, doing system updates, etc) was to:
1) Make sure you enable ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
This can be found in Settings > Device > Developer options > ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources (Based off the latest software update)
2) Install ES File Explorer
3) Download the PIA apk file from your computer
On my computer I did some Googling and found the PIA apk for Android and download the file
4) Place the apk file into the cloud service of your choice*
ES File Explorer uses the following: Box, SugarSync, DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, S3, Yandex, MegaCloud, Baidu NetDisk MediaFire
*You don't have to use a cloud service if your FTVS and computer are on the same network, however, I figure I do the most simple way to get it onto the FTVS
5) Once PIA apk file is on the service of your choice, open up the ES File Explorer app from your FTVS
6) On the left side menu, scroll down till your see the Network section and open it
You will see a number of options on there you will be able to use if you want to play around and try different ways
7) Click on Cloud, Select the cloud service you used to put your apk file on, log into your account
8) Once logged in, navigate your way to where you saved the apk file and click on the file to begin the installation
You might have to click over to the right a couple times to be in the area where your files are at so you can actually select the file. Also, you might have to keep pressing install it a couple of times so it shows the process (Just follow the prompts).
9) Once installed, you can verify by going back to the main screen on your FTVS and looking for the PIA icon
10) Click on the app to load up PIA, this will show you the mobile version as if it was on an Android phone
11) Log in with your credentials you received from PIA and you will notice the the ON/OFF toggle for your VPN**
**Just an FYI you will not be able to see an outline on the toggle but if you click on your remote, you should see it start the process to connect to a VPN server. I am pretty sure you will be able to purchase other apps that will allow you to select which VPN you want to use, but for the time being, I am giving the instructions on how to get it up and running.
12) After you toggle it on and see that your VPN is running, make your way back to ES File Explorer to verify
13) In ES File Explorer, on the left menu, Click Favorite > Add > enter the URL for PIA and give it a name (must name it)
http://privateinternetaccess.com (you must incude the http:// I tried without it and failed)
14) Once added, scroll down and Click on the name you set up for the URL
15) Once the page loads, you should see where it says what your IP Address is and that you are protected
You have just set up PIA on your FireTVstick.
Post edited by thatboytank on