Elementary tray not showing Linux App

Hello

I have been running the PIA Linux App (Beta) on Elementary OS successfully for some time now.

However after the last update (Loki) the app no longer shows up in the tray in the top of my desktop.

I'm not interested in switching to Open VPN since I really like to be able to change server and see status via the integrated app.

As I understand it it is because Elementary has dropped the old API: https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/questions/4226/how-can-i-get-applications-to-display-a-system-tray-icon

I tried installing sni-qt without any luck.

Any idears on how I might get this to work?

Thank you in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• Well, I have exactly the same problem. Did you solve this?
    I have this exact problem too, but I don't believe it's related to the differences from Elementary OS Freya versus the newer Loki.  

I still run the older Freya version on my desktop, and I have the same issue with any PIA Ubuntu install past version 59, which is the last version that displays the app in the app indicator area.

I don't know what changed in the PIA VPN software in version 60 and beyond, but I'm tired of running an old version seeing that I'm a paying customer.

I just tried the version 68 install on a freshly updated copy of Elementary OS Loki on my laptop without any success. No PIA icon in the upper tray area and the app appears in Plank for a couple of seconds before I receive a notification that PIA didn't connect.

How about it PIA.... can we get some support for Elementary OS???

Your own version 59 and below works, anything more recent doesn't.
    I have gotten the latest Linux app v70 to install just fine in elementary OS 0.4.1. The thing was I needed in install a missing library first. When I ran ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh in my terminal I got

pia_nw: no process found /home/johan/.pia_manager/pia_tray_bin/nw-linux-64/pia_nw: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I searched for libgconf with apt, and found a package called libgconf-2-4 with the description "GNOME configuration database system (shared libraries)"  That seems like what I want, so I installed it and it works just fine now.

tldr
    It was missing a library keeping it from working and you need to install it with "sudo apt install libgconf-2-4"
  • After some research this worked for me:

1. Open in your favorite text editor the following script: ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh

2. Add
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity
    up at the top of the file.

3. Save and run.

4. Bingo! The wingpanel indicator appeared

Thank you lachenmann, that did the trick, I'm finally able to use PIA on Loki. 

1. Open in your favorite text editor the following script: ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh

2. Add

3. Save and run.

Came here just to say that this worked for me as well.  Ubuntu 17.04.
  • edited October 17 Posts: 1
    Sorry for the basic question, but how do I get to this file ": ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh", or rather where does the path start? I'm don't know what the ~/ means.  I used Scratch as the text editor, but can browse to the file. 

nvm - i found it...
    Post edited by vmaes on
    It works for me too ! Thank you !

Elementary OS 0.4.1 Loki

I have a similar issue but on Ubuntu with Gnome 3. Cannot get the icon to show at all. The fix posted above does not work either (even replacing it with Gnome or ubuntu:Gnome)
  • edited November 6 Posts: 298
    does adding the "Topicons Plus" gnome extension help?
    Post edited by martouf on

2. Add

3. Save and run.

this worked. for those wondering VERY top of the file. for those wondering you paste "~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh" to as the file path at the top of your file browser. right click "open with" > "scratch"