Ubuntu 17.04

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04 but now the PIA icon doesn't show up in the menu bar. I've tried installing PIA again but it still doesn't show up. Any suggestions?

Comments

Same here, I was running an older version of the utility so downloaded and installed v68 but it does not fix it.

pia_manager.log is not in English but looks like it might be Chinese or similar.

pia_nw.log output is

[4/15/2017, 11:43:33 AM] Attempting to connect to PIA Daemon
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] Got connection to PIA Daemon
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] Starting to init real tray
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] Finished initing real tray
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"set_user","params":{"user":"p3373990"}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"portforward","params":{"value":true}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"killswitch","params":{"value":true}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"dnsleak","params":{"value":false}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"ipv6leak","params":{"value":true}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] daemon_cmd succeeded {"cmd":"mssfix","params":{"value":true}}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:34 AM] Changing state to disconnected...
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:36 AM] set_connection_status {"status":"down","connection_status":null}
    [4/15/2017, 11:43:38 AM] set_connection_status {"status":"down","connection_status":"down","tray_connection_status":"Disconnected"}

When launching, after a short pause the 'You are disconnected' notification appears with internet blocked as the kill switch is activated so I need to reboot to get internet connectivity.

I'm seeing the same thing on a brand new 17.04 installation. If I can figure anything out, I'll be sure to post back again.
    I've contacted support and they said they know about the issue and gave me a possible work around but it didn't work. So, they do know about it and are working on it.
  • edited April 15 Posts: 7
    emge said:
    I'm seeing the same thing on a brand new 17.04 installation. If I can figure anything out, I'll be sure to post back again.

Running the launcher script form the command line I get the following:

:~/.pia_manager/pia_manager$ ./run.sh 
    pia_nw: no process found
    /home/mg/.pia_manager/pia_tray_bin/nw-linux-64/pia_nw: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit:
    Installing libgconf-2-4 allows the dialog to show up, the icon appears in the system tray and then goes away but the dialog stays open. I can put credentials in, but once I click save the dialog goes away and no systray icon, does not appear to stay running in the background.

More output from CLI.
    :~/.pia_manager/pia_manager$ ./run.sh 
    [8073:8073:0415/074329:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074329:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074329:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074330:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074330:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074330:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
    [8073:8073:0415/074354:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out
    [8073:8073:0415/074354:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out

When killing the process, I also get the following output:
    iptables v1.6.0: Couldn't load target `PIA_KILLSWITCH_OUTPUT_RULES':No such file or directory

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
    iptables v1.6.0: Couldn't load target `PIA_KILLSWITCH_OUTPUT_RULES':No such file or directory

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

Post edited by emge on
    I had success using this:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/ubuntu-openvpn
    Actually, that was after trying following this:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/534717/installing-privateinternetaccess-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts
    (my normal install routine)
    and then this:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_linux
    so I'm not sure exactly what combo of everything works.  Next time I'd try the 1st link and then follow up with the rest.
    Sorry for not having an exact solution but with a little fiddling you can probably get it to work...

rlees said:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/534717/installing-privateinternetaccess-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts
    and then this:
    so I'm not sure exactly what combo of everything works.  Next time I'd try the 1st link and then follow up with the rest.
    Sorry for not having an exact solution but with a little fiddling you can probably get it to work...

Thanks rlees! I was actually using the command line openvpn which was a bit of a pain. That first link works much nicer. Thanks for sharing the info!
    I tried this but the app still does not work, although you can use PIA via installing openvpn in your first link, be aware that you might have a dns leak using this method, confirmed for me on dnsleaktest.com

I have also tried deleting all pia data before reinstalling as that worked in the past, and made sure that libgcrypt11 & gnutls26 are present which has also worked previously to no avail.

Does not work on upgrade to 17.04
    emge said:
    rlees said:
    and then this:

Thanks rlees! I was actually using the command line openvpn which was a bit of a pain. That first link works much nicer. Thanks for sharing the info!

The PIA's app indicator not showing anymore is coming from a change in Ubuntu's system environment variables.  XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP changed from Unity:Unity7 to Unity, so the client now the client needs to be launched (Alt-F2 or in your startup apps) with "env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity /home/username/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh --startup". I told PIA about this problem three weeks ago but they took no action to fix it.

That won't correct the client no connecting anymore under Ubuntu 17.04. I have tried all ten protocol port changes proposed by Daniel O on https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219059608-Why-is-the-VPN-connection-not-working-or-slow-with-the-PIA-App- but to no avail, which confirms that some change in Ubuntu 17.04 prevents it to connect to PIA, thus leaving Ubuntu users stranded without VPN. That's says a lot about this paid service.

I'm connecting just fine to PIA servers with Ubuntu 17.04 using PIA-prepared ovpn files and the command
        sudo openvpn --config /path/to/convenient/directory/LocationNameOfServer.ovpn --script-security 2 --up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf --down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf --verb 3

Without the additional parameters, the resolv.conf file won't be updated when the VPN is brought up or taken down.

Dartan said:
    I just upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04 but now the PIA icon doesn't show up in the menu bar. I've tried installing PIA again but it still doesn't show up. Any suggestions?
    Same issue here. Install woks fine, but the icon is missing. This makes it a bit hard(er) to use. Please fix the issue PIA...
  • edited April 22 Posts: 9
    Can you click the Network application (Network Manager?) where you see 'Wired?'   Is there anything there besides 'Wired?'  For mine, the PIA servers are listed under there and it works when I click one.   I do have the 'red application icon' but when I try to select a server from that and connect, it just shows 'connecting' but nothing happens.   Well, something does happen.   The icon turns grey in colour but I don't connect to any servers.

Someone posted the install/configuration  instructions for Fedora and it looks like what I have now.  

I think it's odd.... I hope PIA will look into this.   It's like two different configurations were installed and only one works.   Or, alternatively, the PIA app doesn't work properly or something happens that stops it from loading those servers?  

https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219660347-OpenVPN-setup-in-Fedora

Post edited by Petro on
    Clean install of Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 from iso. Red tray icon appeared in 16.10 and earlier but not now. Very annoying that I cannot control PIA. Very very annoying.

Followed these instructions
    which worked in the past.

Did I mention that this is very, very very annoying?
    Here's a temporary  solution:

nohup env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh &

(gotta keep the terminal session running)
    Same issue here, no response from support this far.
    Both happening with Ubuntu 17.04 and Mint 18 Cinnamon.
    grfiv said:
    Clean install of Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 from iso. Red tray icon appeared in 16.10 and earlier but not now. Very annoying that I cannot control PIA. Very very annoying.

Followed these instructions
    which worked in the past.

Did I mention that this is very, very very annoying?

edit run.sh and put the line
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity
    up at the top. this fix for the "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity:Unity7" environment variable problem has been documented in another thread in this forum category.

how do I edit run.sh?
    Me too, I use pia on Ubuntu. Today I tried on Ubuntu 17.04 and it didn't show up. I'm supprised they are ignoring for so long. I will try with env settings.
  • edited September 21 Posts: 7
    I had the same two issues reported here:

1. The icon doesn't show up in the menu bar on Ubuntu 17.04. That was fixed as mentioned above and in the thread https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/23800/ubuntu-17-04-tray-icon-missing-after-clean-install. ;

2. After that was fixed, PIA still didn't connect. Looking into the openvpn logs I saw this:

Wed Sep 20 19:54:54 2017 /sbin/ifconfig tun0 ... pointopoint ... mtu 1500

Wed Sep 20 19:54:54 2017 Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external programWed Sep 20 19:54:54 2017 Exiting
    On checking ifconfig, it looks like that's not installed by default. ( I just did the default install)
    $ ifconfig
    The program 'ifconfig' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt install net-tools

$ sudo apt install net-tools
    Setting up net-tools (1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1ubuntu1) ...

$

Once I installed ifconfig, PIA now connects. HTH
    Post edited by pia_user_2357 on
    attenpt1. The env setting in run.sh:
    Didn't work for me, then I tried
    nohup env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity ~/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh &
    It prompted me some errors and to check out the log "nohup.out"
    attenpt2. then I installed net-tools(didn't follow nohup.out):
    sudo apt-get install net-tools

that did not do anything.

attempt3. I checked nohup.out from the test1. It told me "shared library libgdonf-2.so.4" is missing. I followed emge's instructions and installed the library.

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4
    then tried
    ./run.sh

It threw a lot of useless verbose info, but it worked. It also worked by clicking on the pia icon.

Last test, I removed "net-tools"

sudo apt-get --purge remove net-tools
    I found the pia icon showed in tray as normal, but it was NOT able to connect and the "disconnect" button doesn't cancel the connecting.
    I reinstalled net-tools as in attempt2 and pia worked as expected.

So in order get pia to work in ubuntu17.04, I guess you need to change three things.
    1.  set the env in run.sh(.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh)
    2.  install net-tools
      sudo apt-get install net-tools
    3. install the shared lib
      sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4