Do i have to stay connected to a VPN while a torrent is downloading?

Hello, I'm wondering if i have to stay connected to a VPN while i am downloading a torrent, or just when i go on PirateBay and start the download?

Comments

• edited April 2017 Posts: 128
    Why turn it off?
    https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/6530/users-can-be-identified-even-when-sharing-ip-addresses-says-isp/
    Nowadays many standard ISP plans use CGNAT which means that lots of people have the
    >same ip at the same time, so can't keep track of torrents downloaded.
    This is because of the impending problem of IPv4 addresses
    running out, many ISPs have started to look into using Carrier-Grade
    Network Translation (CGNAT). Unlike sharing a single IP address at
    home using a router, CGNAT is implemented at the ISP level. This
    enables to the ISP to share one IP address among many customers,
    rather than the current model where each household (ISP account) is
    assigned their own unique IP address.

So you have to ask your ISP if your plan you are on/use CGNAT or use a identifiable IP?

Also you should not use your ISP's DNS which stops them logging you.
    https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202720776-Changing-your-DNS-settings-on-Windows-Mac-Android-iOS-Linux
    Post edited by Harry2 on
    You just need to start the download with the help of a VPN. No need to keep it activated after that. However, if you constantly encounter websites that require you to seek VPN, then get any one that’s available for free. FalcoVPN is recent and pretty good example of that. It gets the job done and is available for free. To get it visit this link 

https://www.falcovpn.com/ https://www.falcovpn.com/
    Wrong. Dangerous. Spam.

A torrent client continually looks for new connections. You'd bet your ass you need to keep the VPN connected.
    Some of you guys are really so stupid - do any of you have common-sense?
    Of course you have to stay connected, just as you need to keep the tap running if you want water!
    PiaVipper said:
    Of course you have to stay connected, just as you need to keep the tap running if you want water!
    LOL indeed. though it might cause speed congestion! 
    graceinc said:
    I was completely wrong on the notion that a vpn can be switched off once the download starts. Spoke to my brother on it and he said whatever the case just keep it on. 
    yeah obviously. How can it be turned off? It has to be on. 
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 27
    chubisa said:
    You just need to start the download with the help of a VPN. No need to keep it activated after that. However, if you constantly encounter websites that require you to seek VPN, then get any one that’s available for free. FalcoVPN is recent and pretty good example of that. It gets the job done and is available for free. To get it visit this link 

https://www.falcovpn.com/ https://www.falcovpn.com/
    Wrong. Dangerous. Spam.

A torrent client continually looks for new connections. You'd bet your ass you need to keep the VPN connected.
    Exactly. Connections are constantly completed and new connections are made on any P2P file.
    Post edited by Driftwood on
  • edited March 8 Posts: 1

PiaVipper said:
    It's not about stupidity or common sense the reason he asked was because it may be affecting his download speed so don't go jumping to conclusions im sure a lot of people are wondering this there are a lot of people new to this kind of stuff and it's not as obvious as u say u just know it already adn think u always have since u were born and have already done the research honestly it would be stupid not to ask and it's common sense to ask these things not to know them already.

Next time if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all just stfu and crawl back in your hole if your're gonna be like that people like u make me sick when u talk like that I shit on ur face to that comment just go home bitch (see how does that feel not really nice is it when you're mean to people)! Next time when people ask for help, actually help them in a positive way and don't be a dick about it, that guy could have down syndrome for all you know either way it's no way to talk to people who are seeking help!
    Post edited by Axemwa on
    @Axemwa, please be aware that language and abusive behavior are precisely what PiaVipper, the user your post was directed to, was ultimately banned for. 

Your post is also abusive and thus in violation of our terms of service. Consider this your first warning. 
    In actual fact, those saying that you have to stay connected to the VPN are wrong.  I checked this today, I started downloading torrents that I can't get in my country without a VPN but was working on a project where I required a faster speed than what the VPN had so I had to turn the VPN off forgetting to pause the torrents to go back to downloading later.  Bittorrent continued working on in the background & I was surprised to see the torrents fully downloaded yet I wasn't connected to my VPN.  Weird I k now, maybe the torrent download goes somewhere & you can keep on accessing it without the VPN, who knows but it worked!
    Hello, I'm wondering if i have to stay connected to a VPN while i am downloading a torrent, or just when i go on PirateBay and start the download?
    In actual fact, those saying that you have to stay connected to the VPN are wrong.  I checked this today, I started downloading torrents that I can't get in my country without a VPN but was working on a project where I required a faster speed than what the VPN had so I had to turn the VPN off forgetting to pause the torrents to go back to downloading later.  Bittorrent continued working on in the background & I was surprised to see the torrents fully downloaded yet I wasn't connected to my VPN.  Weird I k now, maybe the torrent download goes somewhere & you can keep on accessing it without the VPN, who knows but it worked!

Charleigh said:
    The only reason this works is likely because using the VPN lets you access the torrent tracker site to get the initial download information and peer information. Once you have a list of peers to download from, it's very unlikely your ISP would block those IPs since they are mostly other residential users and not big servers. So you can download from those without the VPN.

This is a very bad idea however, unless you only care about bypassing the censorship. It works, but when you disconnect you reestablish your P2P connections to the peer list you already have and your ISP can see all of it. That's why it's faster, you don't have the VPN overhead and download from your normal connection.
  • It is kinda lame if people get butt-hurt but its also sorta the point of forums like this to hopefully find out information you don't understand yet or need more of. I for instance didn't know if say; I start a VPN, connect and start a torrent transfer, am I now in the clear and could turn it off because the "cloak was up?" But even just from reading the responses here I found the answer I needed which is cool. Good looks to the very savvy, and cheers to the beginner trying to do learn how to do it right.

For the record, I've had a lot of success tracking my ul/dl situation and removing files from downloadable status when I didn't have VPN access. As the "outbound" sharing is the thing they snag you for (at least I understand in the US) you CAN get away like that for a bit although you start to appear rather greedy. Works in a pinch though. If youre not outputting, you're not doing the thing wrong That They Look For.

-Bobby-Digital