PIA v69 - Virus Total finds Trojan

Comments

Same for me with Norton Security.
  • edited April 21 Posts: 163
    probably a false positive.
    Post edited by bgxsec on
  • edited April 24 Posts: 9
    Update:
    It appears the slow PC was not tied to this Norton virus report. After reinstalling the PC, I did see the performance issues again; no viruses reported on the reinstalled PC (PIA not yet installed).

Original:
    Seeing the same thing here with Norton, don't believe it is a false positive. The PC really started acting up after the install. I didn't have Norton installed at the time I installed PIA, but after installing Norton it flag the exe and the PC was running extremely slow. Just reinstalled win10 and everything is running normally again.
    Post edited by kilgry on
    Having the same problem. Just got myself PIA today and used it for a while. Then a pop-up from Norton and boom. No more PIA. They send me the download link only today. I've tried a few times to re install but keep getting that pop-up and Norton does not want to let it go.
    As I know next to nothing about computers and viruses I'm hoping PIA posts about this soon. I was loving the privacy, but I do not need a virus.
    Installed the previous version while waiting to find out what is going on.
    PIA you need to respond to this! What's going on here? Is this issue a false positive or is there malware hidden in this release? Please advise so people who haven't installed V69 know what to do from this point......
    No issues with V69 and Kaspersky 2017. If I had to guess I'd say Norton is the problem. 
  • edited April 24 Posts: 27
    No issues with v69, and using Windows Defender, and MalwareBytes.
    Post edited by Driftwood on
    I did notice that Windows Defender did not report the virus, however I don't trust Defender as much as Norton. But, MalwareBytes is usually a good test.

Hoping for a false positive, but I will hold off for more testing to come in.
    Hey Guys!

Thank you for reaching out to us on the forums.

I would like to let you know that what you are seeing are False Positives.

There is no virus that is installed with the VPN application when you download via the email installers or the installers on our site.

Please note: we will reach out to any anti-virus providers mentioned in this forum post to request white-listing for our software!

Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Thank you,
    I've got Kaspersky and since PIA Install my computer has slowed to a crawl. I've submitted a ticket (no 312255) and I've had no reply at all (submitted over 6 hours ago). If I get no joy I might have to switch to another provider because I can't carry on with my computer like it is. Only just sorted out the issue with my torrents as well.
    Blue23 said:
    Hey Guys!

Thank you for reaching out to us on the forums.

I would like to let you know that what you are seeing are False Positives.

There is no virus that is installed with the VPN application when you download via the email installers or the installers on our site.

Please note: we will reach out to any anti-virus providers mentioned in this forum post to request white-listing for our software!

Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Thank you,

Awesome, thank you! :)

• edited April 26 Posts: 163

DoM020876 said:
    I've got Kaspersky and since PIA Install my computer has slowed to a crawl. I've submitted a ticket (no 312255) and I've had no reply at all (submitted over 6 hours ago). If I get no joy I might have to switch to another provider because I can't carry on with my computer like it is. Only just sorted out the issue with my torrents as well.
    That's a common issue with Kaspersky, and some other AV software, in general. Add some exclusions for the PIA client software (pia_manager.exe, openvpn.exe. etc...) and see if that takes care of it > http://support.kaspersky.com/8742

Post edited by bgxsec on