PIA IP Changes

Hey all, we’re making some changes to the way our gateways use IP addresses so we can better serve you.

You may have noticed that the IP address your traffic comes from and the IP address used for DNS lookups is not the same – this behaviour is intended while we make these changes. All of your traffic is still going through our network and being protected by our service.

What we’re doing is looking at new IP rotation methods with the team. What’s going on here is that the gateway has a new outbound IP address that’s used for your traffic, which is why you see this new behaviour. I’m very sorry for the confusion that’s resulted in the meantime, and we’ll keep you updated as to any further changes.

Regards,

Comments

all ip that see on this page is the same (ipleak.net) such as main ip address or dns ip but these ip address and the ip that show on pia icon on taskbar is different!!! is this normal too?
    this thread needs to be "STICKY" at top of list until situation is resolved.
  • edited May 5 Posts: 3
    Glad to have some clarification directly from PIA.  Yes, the IP that both OpenVPN (via router log) and the PIA Win app report is (for example) 162.42.40.105 but the actual IP assigned is 173.239.233.105 ... each time, the last sections of the IP addresses are identical (in this example, 105).  No change in quality of service, just a bit of initial confusion.   B)
    Post edited by religionation on
    doaks said:
    Hey all, we’re making some changes to the way our gateways use IP addresses so we can better serve you.

You may have noticed that the IP address your traffic comes from and the IP address used for DNS lookups is not the same – this behaviour is intended while we make these changes. All of your traffic is still going through our network and being protected by our service.

What we’re doing is looking at new IP rotation methods with the team. What’s going on here is that the gateway has a new outbound IP address that’s used for your traffic, which is why you see this new behaviour. I’m very sorry for the confusion that’s resulted in the meantime, and we’ll keep you updated as to any further changes.

Regards,
    Is there any indication as to the time frame for this process? I'm geoblocked out of Canadian content since this started several days ago, as my IP location for the Canadian nodes suggests that I'm located in the US. Given that that is the only real reason I have a PIA subscription, it is less than ideal.  
    Is there any indication as to the time frame for this process? I'm geoblocked out of Canadian content since this started several days ago, as my IP location for the Canadian nodes suggests that I'm located in the US. Given that that is the only real reason I have a PIA subscription, it is less than ideal.  
    That is a good point. I haven't needed that feature so far; but I've been glad to know it's there.
    lkjsd said:
    doaks said:

Regards,
    I second this - i'm trying to connect to Canada and it thinks I'm in the USA - when will this be fixed? PIA is of no use to me if I can't connect to Canada.

This behavior stated on Wed May 3rd. It worded fine the previous day.  Toronto Proxy IPs stated home to Phoenix Arizona according to some Geo Locator services.   Montreal Proxy started similar behavior on May 4th.

moonslide said:
    lkjsd said:
    doaks said:

Regards,
    I second this - i'm trying to connect to Canada and it thinks I'm in the USA - when will this be fixed? PIA is of no use to me if I can't connect to Canada.
    I'm connecting to Hong Kong, PIA shows me as connected to Hong Kong server but dnsleak test shows this ip as United States so failing geolocation tests as out of region and can't log on. Just renewed PIA for one year but will be testing another vpn provider if they can't fix this soon.

I tested Express VPN -  works for Canada

Connecting to Japan doesn't work either. I just get a US IP.
    Connecting to India servers shows me either UK or US. When is this going to be fixed? This used to work perfectly fine until April end. What happened to PIA all of a sudden?
    Same problem for me - I am geoblocked from using websites in France - just started with this update. Please fix!
    Pretty sad how this is all ignored......
    Agree. It's beyond me how many customers already wrote about this and literally not a single rep comes up to address this huge issues except that half-arse generic reply from yesterday.
    Looks like these changes have caused issues with being able to reach certain sites, I can't connect to one in particular (http://rmz.cr) when using the uk london server, I can connect to it however if I use the southampton server!
    Assigning IP's to countries can take awhile.depending what "lookup you use"
    The new IP's are (for me) presently clean and not blocked (not getting captcha's) 
    No Issues presenting themselves for me. 

Not sure what you mean by "lookup you use" but bottom line for me is that I signed up for a trial AirVPN and can now logon through a Hongkong server and it's working perfectly. Will give PIA another week to fix this otherwise will be saying goodbye and trying to get a refund for the rest of my subscription.

I signed up for 1 month at IPVanish. Google killed all my Gmail accounts because they thought someone had my password. I told them it was me (in the limited forms they use) but they did not believe me. So no more Gmail. Thanks, Google!

I'll see how IPVanish works. Then I may try someone else. I will keep PIA until my time has expired. Use it on the phone when I am out and about.
    I'm no longer able to geolocate into Aus from the US - tried turning on DNS leak protection but something still seems to be failing (on Windows 7 app, and on Android). This is the main reason I have a VPN, and was previously working great, but I'll have to look elsewhere if this isn't fixed soon
    I am also no longer able to geo-locate into Australia from the US - worked on the 3rd May, dead on the 4th May. This needs to be fixed!!!! Or the changes backed out. Unacceptable to be paying for a service that no longer works.
  • edited May 10 Posts: 106
    I am also no longer able to geo-locate into Australia from the US - worked on the 3rd May, dead on the 4th May. This needs to be fixed!!!! Or the changes backed out. Unacceptable to be paying for a service that no longer works.
    A Countries geo-location is not always what country a IP is assigned to.
    When a new IP is assigned it takes time for some look-ups to be resolved
    Try
    http://ipinfo.io ;
    IP4 IP's are also becoming redundant/limited and shared IP's  taking over.
    CGNAT is what is being used 
    Read about it here
    https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/6530/users-can-be-identified-even-when-sharing-ip-addresses-says-isp/
    Post edited by Harry2 on
  • edited May 10 Posts: 162
    ipinfop.io is outdated, and it seems to be rarely updated. Heck, it still shows the IP blocks as belonging to Total Server Solutions L.L.C. who have a completely different set of IP blocks. They are using an updated database that is rarely updated, if at all.

one can just use whats already available here at PIA > What’s My IP Address? - it will reflect the most current

Post edited by bgxsec on
    bgxsec said:

one can just use whats already available here at PIA
    Because after the past few weeks we have so much faith in them...
    Looks like Hong Kong and Japan are fixed. That's good.
    bgxsec said:
    one can just use whats already available here at PIA > What’s My IP Address? - it will reflect the most current

Thanks. FaceBook seem the worst at getting the latest Database has me in "Düsseldorf, Germany" I'm using Australia.
    Constantly connecting to Netherlands is showing me as in Russia, this wouldn't be a problem, but the Port forwarding .sh script comes back with an error because it thinks I'm not in a region that supports Port forwarding.
  • seksek
    edited May 11 Posts: 3
    Looks like Hong Kong and Japan are fixed. That's good.
    Hong kong fixed but not japan
    Post edited by sek on
    PIA app says an IP, but IP checking websites say I have another different IP?   Is that normal and a permanent thing?
    This is like a double fake out. Even the IP checkers are faked out. So which one is actually right? And, how is this affecting if you are using a torrent from a port forwarding server like Canada? Is the torrent app faked out too?
    PeterS said:
    PIA app says an IP, but IP checking websites say I have another different IP?   Is that normal and a permanent thing?
    MikeO said:
    This is like a double fake out. Even the IP checkers are faked out. So which one is actually right? And, how is this affecting if you are using a torrent from a port forwarding server like Canada? Is the torrent app faked out too?

Read more about it here.   The one you see using an IP checking website is the actual IP.    I think it's something to be concerned about and PIA should not be ignoring this issue.