PIA VPN and port forwaring.

in P2P Support Posts: 1
If I use VPN and if security and privacy are more important than speed, then:

- I want to remove the torrent settings from unPlug and Play (UPnP) and NAT-PMP.

- And enable "use a different port every time."

Only if I want to maximize the speeds then port forwarding is worth keeping enable.

Am I right?

Comments

kondor said:
    If I use VPN and if security and privacy are more important than speed, then:

- I want to remove the torrent settings from unPlug and Play (UPnP) and NAT-PMP.

- And enable "use a different port every time."

Only if I want to maximize the speeds then port forwarding is worth keeping enable.

Am I right?
    Not entirely. You're correct about disabling UPnP. That's the protocol that would let your router open a port on the outside to your client. As for the random port thing, it makes no difference. It just means the port on that box is going to be listening. In the case of the vpn, it is actually the same but the vpn chooses what port to forward, so if your client is using a random port then the vpn is forwarding the port to, potentially, nothing.

You have to match the port on your torrent client with the number on the vpn client / script in order to make that work. Some trackers will penalize you because your client will report if it has an open port or not. That penalty comes in the form of speed and # of peers received, depending on how the tracker is configured.

I'm not great at explaining things, let me know if I confused you.