Will PIA implement Wireguard VPN when finalized?

I've read lately about Wiregaurd VPN support in Docker containers, and many sites lauding it as a next-gen vpn protocol/stack. But, is the system really as viable as it is made out to be, and is it something PIA would consider implementing in the future?

https://www.wireguard.io/

Docker article

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 308
    There is also something called "Hexa", although it appears to be proprietary and not open source.
    http://www.hexatechvpn.com/#protocol

Post edited by PiaVipper on
    Hi PIAVipper,

We are aware of Wireguard and we're discussing it internally. We would of course have to thoroughly vet and audit any new protocols/stacks to ensure the security and privacy of our customers.
  • Hi Jayson,

Has there been any movement towards supporting Wireguard at PIA? I ask for us linux users who have renewals upcoming and are looking to move to an in-kernel solution.

• @randomphish, we're still looking at this! While we don't have any plans for implementation in the immediate future, we did make a donation to help sponsor its development, and we'll continue to monitor it closely.
    @randomphish, we're still looking at this! While we don't have any plans for implementation in the immediate future, we did make a donation to help sponsor its development, and we'll continue to monitor it closely.
    Hi Jayson,

Has there been any movement towards supporting Wireguard at PIA? I ask for us linux users who have renewals upcoming and are looking to move to an in-kernel solution.

I'd also like to request the implementation of WireGuard.
  • +1 on wire guard support.
  • Me too. It would be good to know a little more:
    -- Do you feel that WireGuard is at too early a stage of development to implement soon?
    -- If you were to decide to implement it, would it be Linux only? I believe WG has two 'flavours', the faster kernel-based one and a more general one.
    -- What about Linux-based routers?
  • +1

Would love to see WG support
  • +1

Wireguard would be an awesome feature.
    Just as an experimental option to advanced users.
  • I've added it to my list of requested features for customers.
  • As a long time PIA user I would love to have Wireguard as an option.
    Any update on this? Will we see it in a future release?
  • As a long time PIA subscriber, I'd like to see PIA offer WireGuard too. It doesn't have to be network wide, just a few servers in key locations would be fine. 1 in the USA, 2 in Europe. Like you have with socks5 at the moment. I've already tried WireGuard from another VPN provider and it worked GREAT, adding it to PIA would only give you more features to attract more members...
    There are some issues regarding wireguards privacy that I think everyone should be aware of:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/7d5pye/blind_operator_mode_an_open_source_defensive/

In short because it is such a simple protocol it makes it a bit easier for malicious actors to acquire logs to.
    It would require some custom software like the above defensive rootkit on PIA's end to make secure for us.

Cheers