High Sierra public beta

Just installed public beta of High Sierra.  PIA v70 connects correctly and creates the VPN tunnel, but I am unable to make network connections.  Is this just me?   If not, anyone wanting to share what might be wrong?
Tagged:

Comments

  • Posts: 283
    I have no idea what High Sierra is but this is probably a DNS issue.
  • Posts: 4
    I have this same problem on High Sierra. High Sierra is the newest (still in beta) version of Mac OS X. It's version 10.13.

    Anybody have a solution? Thanks.
  • Posts: 362
    Solution? Don't use bata anything. Wait until it is stable, unless you are a paid system test engineer.
  • Posts: 181
    gilby101 said:
    Just installed public beta of High Sierra.  PIA v70 connects correctly and creates the VPN tunnel, but I am unable to make network connections.  Is this just me?   If not, anyone wanting to share what might be wrong?
    There is no solution to fixing this issue until Apple releases the final build of the operating system. (To get everything functioning normally again you must downgrade to MacOS Sierra but the only way to do that is to completely wipe your computer and reload Sierra back onto your computer. Before updating to any public beta version of any operating system you should always ensure that you have a full and complete backup of all of your files) Public beta versions of operating systems are often times very insecure and unstable therefore they cannot be supported by PIA until the final build is released on the App Store. 
  • edited June 30 Posts: 4
    Yes, I realize betas can't be expected to be fully functional, and I don't expect full support from application developers on a beta platform. My intention in installing a Mac OS beta (on a secondary, not primary machine, by the way) is to see what's working and what's not. If there's a problem on the OS side, then I inform the devs. If it's something that can be fixed on the app side, then all the better. I still think there's likely a solution to this apart from "remove the beta and return to the release version of your OS". 
    Post edited by chaslaw on
  • Posts: 181
    chaslaw said:
    Yes, I realize betas can't be expected to be fully functional, and I don't expect full support from application developers on a beta platform. My intention in installing a Mac OS beta (on a secondary, not primary machine, by the way) is to see what's working and what's not. If there's a problem on the OS side, then I inform the devs. If it's something that can be fixed on the app side, then all the better. I still think there's likely a solution to this apart from "remove the beta and return to the release version of your OS". 
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
  • Posts: 4
    OpenVPN said:
    chaslaw said:
    Yes, I realize betas can't be expected to be fully functional, and I don't expect full support from application developers on a beta platform. My intention in installing a Mac OS beta (on a secondary, not primary machine, by the way) is to see what's working and what's not. If there's a problem on the OS side, then I inform the devs. If it's something that can be fixed on the app side, then all the better. I still think there's likely a solution to this apart from "remove the beta and return to the release version of your OS". 
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
    O.K., thanks. I came with limited expectations in the hope that maybe a fellow user would have encountered the same problem, as did gilby101. 
  • Posts: 1
    I also had an issue connecting using the PIA app so I installed Tunnelblick to at least be able to connect to the VPN.
  • Posts: 3
    OpenVPN said:
    chaslaw said:
    Yes, I realize betas can't be expected to be fully functional, and I don't expect full support from application developers on a beta platform. My intention in installing a Mac OS beta (on a secondary, not primary machine, by the way) is to see what's working and what's not. If there's a problem on the OS side, then I inform the devs. If it's something that can be fixed on the app side, then all the better. I still think there's likely a solution to this apart from "remove the beta and return to the release version of your OS". 
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
    thank you for speaking for PIA in its entirety.

    (PIA devs have likely had the High Sierra beta longer than us- it turns out that this is what betas are for!)
  • Posts: 13
    OpenVPN said:
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
    Phew, what a defensive response from PIA!  Nobody expects 'support' for a beta version of the OS.   But it is fair for users to share their experiences in a user forum.  Might even help PIA.

    My posting was primarily to find out if others were having problem.

    chaslaw said:
    I have this same problem on High Sierra. 
    So it not just me.  Thanks for that.

    Now it worth looking a bit deeper.
  • Posts: 3
    It looks like they released a v71 at some point today and it's working fine now- go re-download the client and upgrade. Via the logs, best I could tell there was an issue creating some of the necessary tunnels on connect.

    Man, and I thought every developer ignored beta OS releases until they were finalized? Smh.
  • Posts: 181
    gilby101 said:
    OpenVPN said:
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
    Phew, what a defensive response from PIA!  Nobody expects 'support' for a beta version of the OS.   But it is fair for users to share their experiences in a user forum.  Might even help PIA.

    My posting was primarily to find out if others were having problem.

    chaslaw said:
    I have this same problem on High Sierra. 
    So it not just me.  Thanks for that.

    Now it worth looking a bit deeper.
    I want to make it clear and that I DO NOT work for Private Internet Access. I'm a customer.
  • Posts: 13
    OpenVPN said:
    I want to make it clear and that I DO NOT work for Private Internet Access. I'm a customer.
    Sorry.  You sounded so authoritative that I took your comments as being PIA's!
  • Posts: 13

    phishb13 said:
    It looks like they released a v71 at some point today and it's working fine
    Yep, all looks good.  Thanks PIA!
  • Posts: 3
    OpenVPN said:
    gilby101 said:
    OpenVPN said:
    Well I can tell you for certain that private Internet access is not going to provide any kind of technical support for a beta operating system since it hasn't been fully released to the public they haven't had a chance to fully examine everything in the OS to confidently give information about how their Application is intended to work on the Beta version of an operating system.
    Phew, what a defensive response from PIA!  Nobody expects 'support' for a beta version of the OS.   But it is fair for users to share their experiences in a user forum.  Might even help PIA.

    My posting was primarily to find out if others were having problem.

    chaslaw said:
    I have this same problem on High Sierra. 
    So it not just me.  Thanks for that.

    Now it worth looking a bit deeper.
    I want to make it clear and that I DO NOT work for Private Internet Access. I'm a customer.
    Yes, I think we gathered that much.

    Thanks for the help.
  • Posts: 4
    gilby101 said:

    phishb13 said:
    It looks like they released a v71 at some point today and it's working fine
    Yep, all looks good.  Thanks PIA!
    Yes, I'm happy to report that PIA v71 is working, so far, on my installation of High Sierra (10.13 Beta build 17A291m).

    Thank you, PIA! As someone else said, this is what betas are for, right?
  • Posts: 18
    Installed v71 yesterday on OSX 10.12.5 and so far I've had no disconnects! Good job PIA!
  • v72 appears to be running smoothly in macOS High Sierra public  beta 7A362a (Golden Master)
  • edited October 3 Posts: 14
    I am getting constant disconnections with High Sierra (official release), have tried all port combos recommended by PIA with and without port forwarding to a specific port I have set in my router for port forwarding with TCP and with UDP. There were no disconnect issues with Sierra but High Sierra will not stay connected for longer than a couple of minutes. My Mac is connected via cable to a Netgear router (Nighthawk R8000) which does seem to work better with port forwarding set up - need this for Plex and other media server access from outside my LAN and seem to need for PIA also.

    The only thing that's changed is High Sierra so may be an issue Apple has created but I gather some others are having no issue, but based on other forum posts there are some who are having the same disconnect problem.

    Any suggestions appreciated as it's impossible to use a VPN that only stays connected for minutes.

    I am running the latest PIA client for macOS.
    Post edited by p0099894 on
  • This is still broken. PIA doesn't work at all in the High Sierra release. No Web access, and can't even ping Google.
  • Posts: 1
    Since upgrading to the official version of high Sierra my PIA connects but will not allow me to surf anything.  Is this a pia issue or Apple.   Help 
  • Just updated and noticed that Chrome works for me. But not Safari, Firefox, Mail, Spotify, Tweetbot, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.