OpenVPN 2.2.2 May 2013?

edited July 2 in Software and System Updates Posts: 17
I just checked the latest v71 version on my Win10 x64 Pro PC:
C:/Program Files/pia_manager/openvpn.exe --version
OpenVPN 2.2.2
which on http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/
shows May 2013 (over 4 years old)?

Doesn't this present some security risks, e.g., since a lot of regular updates are concerned with security fixes?  If not, why not?

The current OVPN version is 2.4.3.

Post edited by ingber on

Comments

Hi @ingber,

We keep our own fork of OpenVPN based on 2.2.2 and backport all security fixes, including the ones from more recent audits, such as the audit of OpenVPN 2.4 completed in April. We plan to roll out OpenVPN 2.4 in a future update. 
    Colleen:

Thanks for this reply. I knew PIA was a sponsor of that audit, so I couldn't understand their version number.

Lester
    Hi @ingber,

We keep our own fork of OpenVPN based on 2.2.2 and backport all security fixes, including the ones from more recent audits, such as the audit of OpenVPN 2.4 completed in April. We plan to roll out OpenVPN 2.4 in a future update. 
    I hope the update will move down the pipeline soon.
    "soon" is apparently not a word PIA is familiar with.
    jbis said:
    "soon" is apparently not a word PIA is familiar with.
    Hopefully they will roll the OpenVPN 2.4 update out with the release of v.73
  • Do we have any update on when the new OpenVPN will be included?  This has always been something consistently lacking with PIA.

Supposedly PIA hired a whole bunch of new Cust Svc and techs recently.  Not really seeing that by the recent comments on the board :(

Do we have any update on when the new OpenVPN will be included?  This has always been something consistently lacking with PIA.

Supposedly PIA hired a whole bunch of new Cust Svc and techs recently.  Not really seeing that by the recent comments on the board :(

I'm hoping the upgrade will be implemented when V76 is released. Only time will tell.
    I'm not aware of this changing with v76 (from what I know, it's going to be another bugfix update and a bunch of other tweaks) but I'm hoping they will sometimes in 2018.

Fortunately they do backport everything security related as it goes so there is no emergency to upgrade at the moment. OpenVPN 2.2 is still pretty compatible and supports everything the app needs to for now. I haven't checked, but I don't recall any new feature being introduced with 2.3 and 2.4 that would be of any use by the PIA app.