Chrome Extension

The new chrome extension is a great add, because even though I'd love to have PIA on all the time, it does bottleneck my 1GBPS connection—unfortunately.  I was wondering though, will the extension be improved and updated regularly?  I love the feature that changes the IP automatically with the actual program itself, will the extension get an auto-change mode at some point as well?

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 23 Posts: 110

You do know that the extension is not a true VPN. It is a proxy and does not use the same encryption. An anonymous VPN, such as PIA , will protect your entire internet connection the moment you connect to it, disguising your use of everything from utorrent to email to basic web browsing by establishing a virtual network. 

Post edited by m32b64 on
  • edited July 23 Posts: 264
    The Chrome extension encrypts everything between your browser and Private Internet Access VPN servers using TLSv1.2. The Chrome extension can be used with or without the official PIA Desktop application but I would recommend using the extension with the VPN software enabled.
     When you connect to a VPN server using the desktop application and then connect to a proxy server with the chrome extension, essentially all your traffic will be going to the VPN server which you connected to using the desktop software, bouncing off the server and then going to the location you specified within the proxy client. Basically when using both together you double hop or double encrypt your browser traffic. The Chrome proxy is non-logging same as the VPN.

This can be helpful for those people who want extra privacy.
    Post edited by OpenVPN on
    While I use full OpenVPN at home and on my mobile devices, the Chrome plugin comes in handy when I'm at work and can't install the full VPN client :)

Does anyone know though if there's a way to exclude URL's or hostnames from the extension? Or (if PIA support is reading this) is this a function that will be added in a future update? Alternatively, does anyone know what the actual proxy settings are that this extension uses? I can use FoxyProxy or something similar to set the proxy for particular sites, but besides the SOCKS5 proxy-nl host I couldn't find anything (and the extension apparently allows connecting to the standard endpoints like the VPN client, and I'd like to specify what endpoint to use rather than just stick to the one NL-based proxy).
    While I use full OpenVPN at home and on my mobile devices, the Chrome plugin comes in handy when I'm at work and can't install the full VPN client :)

Does anyone know though if there's a way to exclude URL's or hostnames from the extension? Or (if PIA support is reading this) is this a function that will be added in a future update? Alternatively, does anyone know what the actual proxy settings are that this extension uses? I can use FoxyProxy or something similar to set the proxy for particular sites, but besides the SOCKS5 proxy-nl host I couldn't find anything (and the extension apparently allows connecting to the standard endpoints like the VPN client, and I'd like to specify what endpoint to use rather than just stick to the one NL-based proxy).
    Yes, there is away to exclude uRLs and hostnames from using the extension.
    • Bypass List - The websites (domains) in this list will bypass the VPN and MACE. This may let you view content from geo-restricted providers such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.
    This option can be found in the extension settings menu.

As always I would recommend connecting the VPN desktop client before connecting to the Chrome Proxy extension. I have never used the socks5 proxy because it's unencrypted unlike the Chrome Proxy extension which is fully encrypted with TLS 1.2.

I hope this answers all of your questions.
    ~ Private Internet Access VPN Customer