Proper setup of PIA with Windows 10 & issues that may have occurred before

A few months back I got a new laptop with Windows 10.  I set up PIA on it but I noticed a small issue with the setup.  When I last ran PIA on Windows 10 (experimented with Linux for a few months) it was set up to where I wouldn't have internet access until it connected and I had a small computer-like icon on the tray.  But when I set it up this time I still have a connection before PIA sets up and the icon is the normal Windows 10 network icon before PIA is fully set up.  The kill switch was enabled in both circumstances.  I do not currently have PIA downloaded/set up on my laptop right now.

I'd like to find a way to properly set PIA up like that.  That seems like the correct way to get it going plus I think it may have contributed to Windows 10 getting corrupted on me a few weeks back (it's just speculation on my end but if PIA wasn't properly configured then it seems possible that there was the possibility for something to get screwed up...I don't even know if it's possible for PIA to corrupt the OS though, haven't found anything in a search).

I appreciate as always any help that can be provided.  I also apologize if this is a rather poorly-worded or vague-sounding post...I find myself with less time this morning than I thought and I wanted to get the ball rolling on this as soon as possible.

Comments

Not sure if this will help, but my "kill switch" is my firewall. I use Comodo. It is setup so nothing leaves the PC on the network unless the TAP adapter (via its MAC address) is active. As you know, the TAP adapter is the network interface that is used to connect to PIA.

You might look at your Firewall to see if there is a way to set it up so there is no network activity until the TAP adapter is active.
    As i understand the 'computer-like' network icon appears for wired connections or the VPN interface, as opposed to the wireless icon.

For me, on two systems, the wireless icon changes to wired icon once the killswitch deletes the default route from the wireless interface which happens when the vpn has connected. This is what i gather you found this time around, i don't believe the app can prevent internet access before the app has first connected from boot.

You could look at other software solutions as mentioned by Omnibus.
    I have made a crude batch script to delete the default route whenever my wifi connects on event using task scheduler. There is no internet at any point until i connect the vpn.
  • ac4ac4
    piaabo said:

For me, on two systems, the wireless icon changes to wired icon once the killswitch deletes the default route from the wireless interface which happens when the vpn has connected. This is what i gather you found this time around, i don't believe the app can prevent internet access before the app has first connected from boot.
    I think that may have been it, but I'm not sure.  The ins-and-outs of internet/wireless/routing and the like isn't a field I'm really an expert in. :p

As for the app preventing internet access...if memory serves it pretty much did after a fashion.  At the very least I would be connected but just not have any network access/internet function (no seeding, etc) until PIA connected.  Like I said above it hasn't done this with Windows 10 on my new laptop and it carried on in a similar way (internet access prior to app startup, no internet during connection, then of course a return to the connection when PIA is up) when I was using Linux this past fall/winter.

I'm just wondering if I'm screwing something up with the setup and that's messing with everything. 
    Perhaps someone else can share their experience, i've been with pia for about 3 years and i've always had internet access before i first connect, after that if i disconnect from the vpn the killswitch disables my internet, and if i exit the app my internet returns as normal.
    The app can start and connect automatically (from login with admin account, i can't get it to work with my standard account), but you may want to delay your torrent app if you want everything automated on startup just in case.
    Some people have commented the killswitch may not function properly, so i would suggest you have some redundancy in place..firewall/script etc.