why did Mcafee quarantine this ? found in PIA folder "Real Protect-SS!2B50EBFAEFCD"

After installing PIA and running set up , Mcafee quarantined this "Real Protect-SS!2B50EBFAEFCD"

does anyone know what it means? safe?

Thank you!!

Comments

I got the same problem just now. Did you get an answer?
    This is a false positive, Mcafee, Norton, etc. have been falsely reporting our software as a trojan. It works similarly, but that is what a VPN does, directs traffic to a new location, i.e. our server relays. You need to add our software as an exclusion.

For Windows Please add the following exceptions to any security applications or firewalls you may be running, to prevent them from impeding the functionality of our application:

• C:\Program Files\pia_manager\openVPN.exe
    • C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia_manager.exe
    • C:\Program Files\pia_manager\tapinstall.exe
    • C:\Program Files\pia_manager\installer_win.exe
    • C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia-openvpn.dll
    • C:\Program files\pia_manager\pia_tray_bin\nw-win\pia_nw.exe
    • C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\tap0901.sys

A reboot and reinstallation is required to establish these security changes; please use the following instructions to reinstall the VPN software:

https://support.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219498647-How-do-I-uninstall-reinstall-the-PIA-app-on-Windows-

For MAC Please try adding the following as an exception to your anti-virus software:

~/.pia_manager

This will exclude the VPN software, and all of its components from your anti-virus, and hopefully allow the connection through.

A reboot and re-installation is required to establish these security changes; please use the following instructions to reinstall the VPN software:

https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219498367-How-can-I-uninstall-reinstall-your-application-on-OSX-

• edited September 3 Posts: 1
    You can't exclude a file that does not exist in McAfee.  When the file is quarantined it is gone from the directory. McAfee will not allow you to add it as trusted.
    Post edited by p1060245 on
    @PIAJason, I'm running the latest version of McAfee Antivirus plus on a Win10 box, and the exclusions you list above are required, but not sufficient in my case.  I think (but cannot verify) McAfee seems to be attacking the "rubyw.exe" instances that are launched by pia_manager.exe.  Unfortunately because these "rubyw.exe" instances are temporary files, they cannot be "excluded" in McAfee, because as noted by @p1060245, McAfee does not allow you to exclude a file that does not exist.  So far, the only solution I've found is to disable McAfee's "real-time scanning" while running PIA manager.

I should note that the compatibility issues that I'm seeing are specifically with respect to McAfee's "Real-time scanning" functionality and I'm not seeing any problems with the "scheduled virus scan" function.

I've filed a support ticket with McAfee to see if they have any suggestions.  I'll post the answers I receive here.  If you guys find out anything, I ask that you post the answers here as well.

Thanks!
    @p1060245

I believe it is possible to remove items from Quarantine in McAfee. 

Once you have done this, it is possible to add the "restored" files to the exclusions list.