Thoughts on a panel applet that does the PIA homepage check to monitor "protected" or not?

Hi all,

One of the things I find I am in a habit of doing is hitting the pia home page to "get the green" so to speak.

I use a number of different linux distros and generally don't bother with the thick-client and do the setup in openVPN.

I got to thinking that a bash script, python or javascript applet could monitor the header on the pia homepage and by a simple curl or wget and grep determine if the http request returns "You are protected by PIA"...

I did a bash script that uses wget to pull the page then pipes cat index.html to grep with an if statement that checks for the relevant text - but I don't really know how to code properly and wondered if anyone had tackled something like this for general openvpn tunnel heart-beat type monitoring.

I thought a cinnamon panel applet (javascript) that had a simple green or red light and could be clicked to force the check and maybe a popup notification if the state changed between regular automated checks (say every 5 min) could be very useful?

Don't really know where to start beyond what I've tried so I thought I'd throw the idea out and see if anyone else is interested or relates to the usecase...

Writing applets seems relatively easy once you get started...
ie: http://developer.linuxmint.com/reference/git/cinnamon-tutorials/write-applet.html

Best,
Will;

Comments

try scraping this instead https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/whats-my-ip/

and write your first version with bash (and awk and/or sed and/or grep and/or ...)

• edited August 19 Posts: 3
    Cool; so here is a successful start.  very crude I know

will@willixps15:~/Code$ ./first_scrape.sh 
    you are protected by pia
    you are not protected by pia
    you are protected by pia
    will@willixps15:~/Code$ 
    will@willixps15:~/Code$ ls
    first_output.txt  first_scrape.sh  scrape-data.txt

so switching the vpn off and back on yielded the hoped for results.

here is the script

will@willixps15:~/Code$ cat first_scrape.sh 
    #!/bin/bash
    ###  BEGIN PIA PROTECTED TEST
            wget -q -O scrape-data.txt https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/whats-my-ip/ ; 
            if grep 'You are protected by PIA' scrape-data.txt > first_output.txt
            then
                    echo "you are protected by pia"
            else
                    echo "you are not protected by pia"
            fi
    will@willixps15:~/Code$ 

Now I need to work out how to write an applet that calls this and does it with the cinnamon dock
    Update:-

crude attempt to frame up something that will start the applet ball rolling - doesn't work.  Some problem converting the .sh to utf8.

root@willixps15:/usr/share/cinnamon/applets# cd check_pia\@cinnamon.org/
    root@willixps15:/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/check_pia@cinnamon.org# cat applet.js 
    const Applet = imports.ui.applet;
    const Util = imports.misc.util;

function check_pia(orientation, panel_height, instance_id) {
                this._init(orientation, panel_height, instance_id);
    }

check_pia.prototype = {
                __proto__: Applet.IconApplet.prototype,

_init: function(orientation, panel_height, instance_id) {
                                Applet.IconApplet.prototype._init.call(this, orientation, panel_height, instance_id);

this.set_applet_icon_name("PIA Checker");
                                this.set_applet_tooltip(_("Click here to check PIA"));
                            },

on_applet_clicked: function() {
                                Util.spawn("/home/will/Code/first_scrape.sh");
                            }
    };

function main(metadata, orientation, panel_height, instance_id) {
                return new check_pia(orientation, panel_height, instance_id);
    }

Post edited by gnutoo on
    yep. example of why people who do this kind of work are 'Developers'.

now, there's all sorts of good information on that whats-my-ip page. get more of it with a command line option? always good to self-document with the output from the --help option. try next to not use temp files.
    Yes, rather than worry about the applet I think I'll try to get a shell script that writes a text file with a good portion of the information I can scrape and then that could form the basis of an applet that simply presents the text in that file.