BBC iplayer being blocked

To all,

I have been with PIA for two years now, and have regularly watched BBC's iPlayer outside of the UK with no issues.

However, today, I logged on and was greeted with the following message:

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

This did happen a few years back, but it seemed like the VPN companies got around it, but it seems like it has reared its ugly head.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues, and if so, do you have any solutions?

Thanks,
SM.
Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • Posts: 1
    Same here. Was working yesterday (Aug 21) and then PIA isn't working today (Aug 22). If I go to bbc.co.uk it automatically redirects me to bbc.com, their international page.

    This happens regardless whether I use the London or Southampton server.
  • Same here. Fine late yesterday, no good today. Simple ip check locates as being in UK, but iPlayer won't allow access to stream.

    Short or long term problem??
  • Posts: 7
    Having exactly the same problem too and submitted a support ticket (before I saw these posts). It was very sudden and very annoying to be honest!
  • Posts: 7
    Forgot to mention..........the weird thing is, there are no adverts when I access the BBC website with PIA active. If I switch PIA off, ads galore (very intrusive). Does this suggest that PIA has been blacklisted in some way?
  • edited August 22 Posts: 7
    Let's hope it's sorted soon. If anyone hears anything try and update in this thread. Thanks.
    Post edited by redsquirrel on
  • Same problem. We've been here before. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.
  • smmsmm
    Posts: 5
    No updates yet, and as of 7 am here in KSA, the same problem persists. From what I have read on the subject of VPNs being 'blacklisted', it doesn't take too long for the VPN companies to resolve this issue, so hopefully, I can get back to People Just Do Nothing ASAP  :)
  • Posts: 1
    We have the same problem and my daughter is desperate to catch up on East Enders!
  • Posts: 2
    iPlayer is the reason I subscribe to PIA... I sincerely hope it's resolved ASAP *withdrawls*
  • Posts: 1
    same problem for me, Iplayer is blocking both of PIA regions servers, the only respond i got from support is that its a third party problem and that they don't deal with it, only wish I hadn't paid for the whole year a month ago :(
  • Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if BBC have had a massive vpn block or if there are other providers that iPlayer work with? 
    I've recently paid up for 12 months aswell
  • Posts: 110
    ab0895 said:
    Forgot to mention..........the weird thing is, there are no adverts when I access the BBC website with PIA active. If I switch PIA off, ads galore (very intrusive). Does this suggest that PIA has been blacklisted in some way?

    Didn't you say you were blocked? Now you are saying that there are no adverts when you access the BBC website. What's up with that?
    PIA has an adblock feature called MACE. Look it up.
  • Posts: 7
    m32b64 said:
    ab0895 said:
    Forgot to mention..........the weird thing is, there are no adverts when I access the BBC website with PIA active. If I switch PIA off, ads galore (very intrusive). Does this suggest that PIA has been blacklisted in some way?

    Didn't you say you were blocked? Now you are saying that there are no adverts when you access the BBC website. What's up with that?
    PIA has an adblock feature called MACE. Look it up.
    I am blocked from accessing iPlayer content and even though the adblock feature is not active there are no ads. Like I said, weird
  • Posts: 1
    smm said:
    To all,

    I have been with PIA for two years now, and have regularly watched BBC's iPlayer outside of the UK with no issues.

    However, today, I logged on and was greeted with the following message:

    BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

    This did happen a few years back, but it seemed like the VPN companies got around it, but it seems like it has reared its ugly head.

    Is anyone else experiencing the same issues, and if so, do you have any solutions?

    Thanks,
    SM.
    Any updates yet? I am experiencing the same issues
  • Doesn't seem like it. Perhaps they simply can't say that they're actively trying to circumnavigate the VPN block from BBC?

    As was said previously in the thread, I remember it happening before and it took a few days or a week or so to go back to normal.
  • smmsmm
    Posts: 5
    jjkg said:
    smm said:
    To all,

    I have been with PIA for two years now, and have regularly watched BBC's iPlayer outside of the UK with no issues.

    However, today, I logged on and was greeted with the following message:

    BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

    This did happen a few years back, but it seemed like the VPN companies got around it, but it seems like it has reared its ugly head.

    Is anyone else experiencing the same issues, and if so, do you have any solutions?

    Thanks,
    SM.
    Any updates yet? I am experiencing the same issues
    No updated from me yet. I am pretty sure PIA will get it fixed, but not sure how long it will take. I am going to put in a request to their tech department today to see what's what. Never done that before because I haven't needed to, so I am not sure what the response will be, but as soon as I receive any information, I will update this thread.
  • +1
    Being able to use iPlayer was my reason to buy PIA. :(
  • Nice work ssm, let us know!
  • smm said:
    To all,

    I have been with PIA for two years now, and have regularly watched BBC's iPlayer outside of the UK with no issues.

    However, today, I logged on and was greeted with the following message:

    BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

    This did happen a few years back, but it seemed like the VPN companies got around it, but it seems like it has reared its ugly head.

    Is anyone else experiencing the same issues, and if so, do you have any solutions?

    Thanks,
    SM.
    Same problem here. I tried all the Voodoo tricks people suggested with no success. Please fix this, PIA.  I want my BBC!
  • Same problem, please get this resolved PIA - only reason I paid my year's subscription!
  • smmsmm
    Posts: 5
    To all,

    I raised a ticket on Thursday, but have yet to hear anything back. Just checked now and the problem still persists. If I get any info back from PIA, I will let you all know, but from what I have read about PIA, they don't contact people back too quickly, so I might end up going with another provider as my subscription ends in 10 days. Will keep all updated as soon as I know anything.
  • Posts: 7
    The response I got from PIA was, "..........working around geo-locked content is not within our scope of customer support....." And the problem continues; cannot access any iPlayer content.

    So, I signed up for a month with NordVPN last night and everything was fine until this morning. I then submitted a support ticket and their (very fast) response was that they are having, and I quote, ".......we are currently having technical interruptions with our BBC servers". The email then went on to say that NordVPN is putting in a lot of effort in to solve the issue.

    Conclusion? Aunty has got nasty!
  • Posts: 3
    ab0895 said:
    The response I got from PIA was, "..........working around geo-locked content is not within our scope of customer support....." And the problem continues; cannot access any iPlayer content.

    So, I signed up for a month with NordVPN last night and everything was fine until this morning. I then submitted a support ticket and their (very fast) response was that they are having, and I quote, ".......we are currently having technical interruptions with our BBC servers". The email then went on to say that NordVPN is putting in a lot of effort in to solve the issue.

    Conclusion? Aunty has got nasty!
    I got a more encouraging reply from support, which could be interpreted as PIA guaranteeing iPlayer to work if you disconnect/reconnect enough times to get an IP address that's not blocked.

    https://imgur.com/a/bHC0h

    I, like several others here, recently renewed my subscription with the iPlayer being a huge part of why I subscribe to a VPN service. It would be nice if this issue was alleviated sooner than later.

  • smmsmm
    Posts: 5
    This is the response I received minutes ago from PIA. It's almost laughable....

    Hello Simon,

    Thank you for choosing Private internet Access to protect your privacy.

    We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Unfortunately, blacklisting of IPs is a very common problem with VPNs. Some large websites, including retailers, streaming services, banks, and marketplaces like craigslist, place a blanket ban on VPN use. While we rotate our IPs regularly, we are unable to render support or assistance in accessing restricted content via our service. Your VPN may need to be turned off to access these websites

    Thanks

    Farah K.
    Customer Support Agent
    Private Internet Access™


    Thanks, PIA and au revoir. 

  • Posts: 7
    dubbayoo said:
    ab0895 said:
    The response I got from PIA was, "..........working around geo-locked content is not within our scope of customer support....." And the problem continues; cannot access any iPlayer content.

    So, I signed up for a month with NordVPN last night and everything was fine until this morning. I then submitted a support ticket and their (very fast) response was that they are having, and I quote, ".......we are currently having technical interruptions with our BBC servers". The email then went on to say that NordVPN is putting in a lot of effort in to solve the issue.

    Conclusion? Aunty has got nasty!
    I got a more encouraging reply from support, which could be interpreted as PIA guaranteeing iPlayer to work if you disconnect/reconnect enough times to get an IP address that's not blocked.

    https://imgur.com/a/bHC0h

    I, like several others here, recently renewed my subscription with the iPlayer being a huge part of why I subscribe to a VPN service. It would be nice if this issue was alleviated sooner than later.

    I have only had the chance to post this now but NordVPN had the problem solved within hours and since yesterday afternoon, I have had no problems whatsoever. NordVPN is very open about being able to circumvent blocks being put in place by content providers such as the BBC whereas PIA, as all of us who are part of this discussion have noticed, is somewhat coy. I am just as pissed as a lot of you because I, too, paid for another year with PIA only two weeks ago in order to access almost exclusively BBC content, which had worked perfectly well the past 12 months. I will see out my month's subscription to NordVPN and take it from there, i.e. may decide to cut my losses with PIA for good
  • Posts: 9
    Unfortunately, blacklisting of IPs is a very common problem with VPNs. Some large websites, including retailers, streaming services, banks, and marketplaces like craigslist, place a blanket ban on VPN use. While we rotate our IPs regularly

    Thanks, PIA and au revoir. 


    It may be a 'common' problem yet competitors are taking steps to overcome it rather than throwing their hands up.  A 'common' (as in simple) problem has an equally simple solution - change the IPs.  If PIA were rotating regularly per their claim would the blacklisting occur with regularity also?

    What large web sites, including retailers, streaming services and Craigslist might or might not do regarding VPN use is irrelevant but customer service outfits often include such nonsense to throw the user off the scent.

    It's depressing to see yet another company achieve critical mass of subscribers only to resort to big-company tactics in giving subscriber concerns the shove.
  • Posts: 3
    @ab0895 please keep,us up to date with NordVPNs performance over the next few days. Perhaps Aunty is having a big crackdown and will be persistent about collecting connecting IP addresses and numbers of connections from same IP. It's not that hard for them to do such tracking.......sadly.
  • Posts: 3
    @redwoody

    NordVPN still good for me at 15.00GMT 29 August.
  • I took a 3 day trial of NordVPN yesterday. No problem with BBC.last night. Nord also have a good deal on for a 2 year contract. Could be goodbye to PIA this weekend if it's not resolved soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.