Privacy, MAC addresses, and computer Bonjour name

I've been using PIA for some time for bittorrent and not had any problems with WebRTC, IP, or DNS leaks (as far as I can tell).

I oftentimes torrent on a public WiFi network—largely because it has speeds 10x what I have at home. I had problems with being booted off after many hours and many GB of downloading/uploading, which I think I solved by spoofing my MAC address for my wireless card.

I'm curious, though, do I need to be concerned about my computer's Bonjour name giving me away on the local network? Kind of defeats the purpose of PIA and MAC spoofing if a local admin can see "Bob's MacBook Pro" is the one responsible for the huge drain on bandwidth haha.

Putting it out there to people much more technical than I am...

Comments

Good question - that's exactly why I renamed my laptop "PC"
  • edited August 26 Posts: 62
    I've been using PIA for some time for bittorrent and not had any problems with WebRTC, IP, or DNS leaks (as far as I can tell).

I oftentimes torrent on a public WiFi network—largely because it has speeds 10x what I have at home. I had problems with being booted off after many hours and many GB of downloading/uploading, which I think I solved by spoofing my MAC address for my wireless card.

I'm curious, though, do I need to be concerned about my computer's Bonjour name giving me away on the local network? Kind of defeats the purpose of PIA and MAC spoofing if a local admin can see "Bob's MacBook Pro" is the one responsible for the huge drain on bandwidth haha.

Putting it out there to people much more technical than I am...

The PIA VPN has nothing to do with your computer name, MAC address, or the amount of data you are passing. There are methods a smart local admin local to your specific network segment could use to get your computer name (in some cases), MAC address, and the amount of data you are passing. The PIA VPN does not and is not intended to protect against this, no VPN can prevent this, the VPN only secures your connection traffic by encryption so someone can not see the actual data being passed.

I think a lot of people do not fully understand what a VPN service VPN is suppose to do or not do. I also think this is in part due to how they are advertised with phrases and wording implying an umbrella type coverage of "complete protection and security". Your type of question is not unusual. Overall A VPN service VPN:

1. Does not protect against virus/malware. Protection against virus/malware is your responsibility.
    2. Does not protect against the amount of data being passed or bandwidth used from being disclosed.
    3. Does not protect against disclosure of the MAC address or wireless SSID.
    4. Does not protect against disclosure of the times connections are made nor the length of time connected.
    5. Does not protect against real IP address from being disclosed in headers of emails sent from system email client.
    6. Does not protect against disclosure of real IP address and other system information by applications on your system.
    7. Does not protect against system configurations which would disclose real IP address or other system information.
    8. Does not protect against network segment admins from getting information about your system.
    9. Does not protect against things you might do or not do which may result in disclosure of real IP and other information.
    10. Does not protect against the network admin knowing your real IP address.
    11. Does not secure your system for you. Security of your system is your responsibility.
    12. Does secure your connection traffic by encryption to keep that traffic from being known.
    13. Does provide a public IP address which is not your real IP address.
    14. Depending on VPN product features available and their effectiveness may provide adequate leak protection against IPv6 addresses or DNS disclosures.  

Post edited by jbis on
  • edited August 26 Posts: 22
    Thanks, jbis and PiaVipper! Sorry; may have not been clear. Yes I understand how VPNs work and am not expecting PIA's app to protect me from local admins doing a half a minute of sleuthing. Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but figured someone may have an easy answer on whether it's worth updating/anonymizing my computer's name (just measuring whether MAC spoofing really actually makes my device unique on the router's end each time I connect)
    Post edited by bobclampet on