pia-v72 client fails to start on Ubuntu 17.04, no tray icon appears

'K, haven't had a response to this ticket in 3 days so I scoured the fine print in these forums and Goolag. There are two things that should be easier to find.

1. There is a crucial missing line in /.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh - open it in a text editor and add add

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity

at the top of the file. Save and try launching client. Most likely you will now have a tray icon appear. Try to connect. It will probably make an attempt, then eventually, bomb out. Why? This -

2. Ubuntu, for some insane reason, no longer thinks ifconfig is no longer necessary for a default 17.04 installation -

- ifconfig turns out to be a prerequisite for the client - though its not stated anywhere and its absence does not indicate any error or get logged anywhere. Install it and you should be in business.

ATTENTION PIA SUPPORT -

Why is this information NOT easy to find?

Comments

plus points for finding the info. good question. perhaps they should give serious consideration to a *community development* model.
    @PIAColleen @PIAJayson It's remarkable that many months have passed since the releases of Ubuntu 16/17 without a response by PIA on this, and it's also remarkable that no one on the development team cared to test the last few releases of the client on a vanilla system.
  • edited September 6 Posts: 3
    In addition to what franc has written above,  I'll just add that, since I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, instead of "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity" I added:

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Gnome

to
    /.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh, replacing "Unity" with "Gnome."
    Additionally I found I needed to install libgconf2-4 for everything to work.  It can be found in Synaptic or by opening a terminal and typing:

sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4

Post edited by JollyGreenHedgehog on