Hosting a game server with port forwarding

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for a couple of days now, but I can't find anything that's helping.  I'm trying to host a game server for Terraria on my network, but when using PIA/port forwarding, it's not working.  I've tried port forwarding with CA Toronto and CA Montreal, but both are not allowing connections.  I setup my router to forward the port that's assigned after connection (hovering over the PIA icon in the system tray) and start the game server watching for that port.  No client can connect to the server.  If I do the exact same thing, but over my private IP using the same port number, the server works fine and anyone can connect.  I don't want to use my private IP address for a public server.  Does the PIA port forwarding not allow certain traffic?  What am I missing?  It's obviously not the router or my firewall blocking the traffic or port since it works fine over my private IP address.  Thanks!

Comments

• After trying everything I could possibly think of, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the PIA client.  When starting it back up again, I noticed that the IPv6 leak protection box was checked by default.  This prevents all IPv6 traffic from the VPN connection.  I unchecked that box, and it started working.  I connect to the IP address with the port that's assigned after you connect to the VPN just like normal.