I can't access the internet when I disconnect from the VPN

just what the title says, I've been using PIA fine on Ubuntu for months. suddenly when I disconnect from PIA I can't use Firefox or Chrome, has dns errors. Opera works fine.

Comments

• Did you uncheck the killswitch option in pia?
  • edited September 20 Posts: 4
    Did you uncheck the killswitch option in pia?
    I actually have this same exact problem but I'm on Linux Mint, and my killswitch option isn't checked either. So can confirm it affects more than one user.
    Post edited by Needles526 on
  • edited September 20 Posts: 219
    after you've disconnect from PIA:
    1. what does your route table look like?  route -n
    2. what is the configuration of your DNS resolver?  cat /etc/resolv.conf

ps: once upon only a couple versions of OpenVPN ago (and a similar number of kernel releases ago), it was necessary to manually replace the default route after shutting down a VPN.
    Post edited by martouf on
  • Hey radec, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. If you can open up a ticket here and DM me your ticket number, I will be happy to assist you :) 
  • martouf said:
    after you've disconnect from PIA:
    1. what does your route table look like?  route -n
    2. what is the configuration of your DNS resolver?  cat /etc/resolv.conf

ps: once upon only a couple versions of OpenVPN ago (and a similar number of kernel releases ago), it was necessary to manually replace the default route after shutting down a VPN.
    So I checked my resolv.conf file and when I turn the VPN off the file is blank. But when the VPN is on the file has 2 entries in it.
    blank resolver config file means DNS non-functional. 
    if you have it, running /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf should put things back to rights.
  • edited September 23 Posts: 4
    martouf said:
    blank resolver config file means DNS non-functional. 
    if you have it, running /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf should put things back to rights.
    I have the file but I just ran the command and nothing happened, still no internet when disconnected and the resolv.conf is still blank.
    Post edited by Needles526 on
    okaayy... you'll need to figure out what the nameserver ip addresses are when you're just simply connected to your 'home' network. for most folks, it will be automatically supplied and entered into your resolv.conf as a side-effect of obtaining an ip address via DHCP.

try disconnecting and then reconnecting to your network. then save the contents of resolv.conf for safekeeping. the nameserver(s) listed are how the resolver needs to be configured when the VPN is down.
  • Still not working at all, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network still yields a blank resolv.conf which leaves me nothing to work with. To top it off I reinstalled my distro(Linux Mint) and the network connection worked fine for a couple days but again I ran into this issue with the network allowing me to enter the internet outside of using the vpn. I'm just going to quit using the client for awhile.
  • edited October 2 Posts: 219
    please save a copy of your resolv.conf when it is working fine!  you need it.

(something might be wacky with your DHCP server)
    Post edited by martouf on